For Those Of Us Who Stuck By The Juno-G

Forum for JUNO-G
Tarkov72

For Those Of Us Who Stuck By The Juno-G

Post by Tarkov72 »

I feel the years have payed off. I bought mine brand new back in '08. I was overwhelmed by the interface and knew nothing of synths, but as I learned more about synthesis my skill programming the Juno-G has increased to the point where now I can easily dial in whatever I'm imagining. I think it's a bit of hidden treasure synth now. It has a better interface than a lot of new romplers (more knobs), it is a sampler, has microtuning, has a great sequencer for both the Juno and external gear, etc... Sure my screen died like everyone else but Roland finally fixed the problem for good and covered it out of warranty.
marczellm

Re: For Those Of Us Who Stuck By The Juno-G

Post by marczellm »

The same for me. Over several years I've become pretty good at programming it.
techie

Post by techie »

Have same feeling here. I have bought FA-06/JD-XI which are great machines, but i find out that they are not replacing Juno-G. Juno has 4 individual outs (FA-06 only 2), Juno has different wave rom, Juno-G has some effects missing on FA-06 and it's synth sound is nice (i guess because it's based on reduced Fantom-X line).

Juno has a normal sequencer, maybe not that good as FA-06, but definitely usable. Acoustic sounds on FA-06 might be better (pianos/super natural drums), but surprisingly i like brass (saxophone/trumpet) patches better on Juno-G.

Or for example an arpeggiator - on JD-XI you cannot program user sequence for arpeggiator, but on Juno-G it's possible.

My Juno-G has a dead screen at the moment, but recently i plugged it in, played some old patches in blind mode and i can tell you, it's a thing of its own. It's lightweight, sturdy (except screen of course) and reliable.

I plan to restore mine or buy another Juno-G used.
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Yep. Mine was new in 09. It has been in the studio, on the road and generally just used as a workhorse over the years. It has been knocked off it's stand and had beer spilled on it at gigs. It has also spent occasional long periods in solitary packed away in a cupboard in the back room whilst I experimented with soft synths and other hardware. I have been lucky so far with the screen as it is still working normally. (Wish I hadn't said that, it will probably die now). I have thought about getting rid of it on many occasions and recently brought it back into the studio to dust it off and sell it. Instead I re-discovered it's potential and, as I am no longer gigging, I sold my Nord Stage 2 instead. That has to say a lot about what this board has to offer. Yeah, the keyboard thing is a bit ordinary, especially after the Nord, but I can live with it. I have also given it a new lease of life in discovering that by running it through the new style of software filters and FX it sounds just as up to date as many of the newer boards. I can get it to wobble, pulse, pitch and pump just as well as anything out there. I did think years ago that these would be a 'classic' synth of the future and I still believe it. I was looking very closely at the FA-06 and JD-Xi. Very, very nearly pushed the button on both but sort of glad I didn't now. Final decision has been made. My Juno-G is here to stay.
techie

Post by techie »

have also given it a new lease of life in discovering that by running it through the new style of software filters and FX it sounds just as up to date as many of the newer boards.
That ! When i'm running Juno-g in pair with Strymon El Capistan i can get brilliant ambient sound easily and i can get very dynamic when playing live. Need a sudden LFO change? no probs, 1 click + rotary knob and i'm bouncing. Another thing i'm used to - play some electric keys and fast change the release, from keys to pads - never get enough of that :)
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

It's good to hear those opinions from you! I think the same.
I bought mine new in 2009, in 2011 I sold it and bought the Juno Stage, but I started to miss the sequencer and especially the sampler !! So I sold the Juno Stage and bought my second Juno G. Last year I bought the FA-06 and I already sold it. I also had to change the screen in 2016, for the new version 2.01. I have had many, many synthesizers and stage pianos, and I can tell you that the Juno G scores very high in several categories. I define it as a great keyboard inside a cheap package. It is now part of my rig alongside a Nord Electro 4D and a Yamaha DX7 mk1.
cl

Post by cl »

Ditto to all..... Only complaint is without the editor/librarian. its too hard to change set orders (and one band seems to like to change it up every gig). I don;t know WHAT happened to my editor.... Was running fine (on WIndows 7 pro) but all of a sudden (after some new MS "fix" I assume) it refuses to see the Juno... (and I've reloaded program, driver, restarted ("hav U pluggen in yor comptrrrr???)... Sadly, a lot less useful now (but still one of my favorites)
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

Hi Cl, other way is arrange your gigs as "Favorites banks", and have all your patches, samples, performances and songs inside the juno g, organized in some way you can easily use live.
But this is a matter of personal preference.

Regards