X6 or Juno-G -help me decide

Forum for JUNO-G
cuborg

Re: X6 or Juno-G -help me decide

Post by cuborg »

as far I can read manual there is sampling and editing same way as on fantom X. Less SRX slots fine with me, 90% of sounds are uselss anyway.
One thing anybody can't reveal if juno-g is still ROMplar or full sampling thing. Probably marketing issues holding them back from answering that.
Also piano sound is supposed to be good, besides I don't buy synth to mimick piano sound, I have great piano already.

Regarding look, I came from classic piano playing and I can stand only black keyboards :) And as color screen goes, don't see sense in using it, I want to play keyboard not to watch another computer screen again if you know what I mean.

It will be my second keyboard but my first synth, since I have roland FP5 digital piano now.

I agree that X maybe is more powerfull, but don't think so that twice, as price would indicate it.

thanks for tips, decision wasn't easy.
hanska

Post by hanska »

Are you able to download new sounds/samples from the web for the Juno-G, like with the Fantom X? I know Juno-G has a sampler, but no multisampling. What does that mean in practice...? I'm a newbie with the samplers, so I don't know much about them...
cuborg

Post by cuborg »

here is the link to the manual:
http://www.roland.co.uk/support/updates/JUNO-G_OM.pdf

looks to me that you can download patches, but maybe Artemio will verify that.

BTW why there is no manual on US website???
is it gonna be different?
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

"as far I can read manual there is sampling and editing same way as on fantom X"

NO WAY, DUDE. The Juno-G does not feature a sampler in the traditional sense of the word. Meaning, no skip-back sampling and no multisamples.

The only thing you can do with audio on the Juno-G is record it and play it back in tracks. There may be some workarounds, but Roland is deliberately holding back on these features on the Juno-G to keep the price down and also keep the X/Xa relevant.

I agree that Roland is keeping the issue vague ... but if you look at the Fantom X/Xa manual and look for similar chapters in the G manual ... when it WAS online for a time ... you won't find them ... (I have no idea why the manual was pulled.)

You can still manipulate samples in basic way ... truncate, chop, etc. and this is what may be confusing you ... but
another HUGE indicator that the Juno-G does not function as a traditional sampler is the fact that Roland is calling the Juno-G a "synthesizer" and NOT a workstation, which for Roland means synth/sequencer/sampler.

And the reason for this, IMO, is because of the Fusion 6HD -- which has full sampling AND audio track recording and alot more -- which is now selling at the same price at the Juno-G. When the Juno-G was being developed, the Fusion was priced more like a Fantom X, and I don't think anybody outside of Alesis anticipated the Fusion's HUGE price drop.

What looked like a sure-fire winner before, now just looks like a Fantom sound module with the 'S' soundset with a so-so keybed and audio track recording.

But if you're gigging with this board primarily, you really don't need these typical workstation functions anyway.

For a gigging board, the Juno-G is a fine choice if you can deal with the keybed.

But as for the X's screen, if you're doing any serious patch editing, sequencing, really anything involving performances and multiple patches ... the screen helps alot ... I STILL love it after a year ... but again, for gigging, I can see this as being overkill if you're pricing to a budget ... and I suppose the screen only makes your gear seem sexier and therefore more a target ...

As for downloading patches, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible ... Roland's pretty good about making patches compatible amongst different boards ... but I guess we'll see about that ...
cuborg

Post by cuborg »

isn't that Skip Back sampling just "all the time" recording,
so you can go back for about 40 seconds and save your playing??
So I don't really need that extra button, I can alway turn record button on juno-g when I know I want to save something. Besides 40 seconds it too little to be usefull anyway.
When I do some improvising it can last 30 minutes or longer.

On roland website is stated as "workstation":
http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... arentId=72
but in manual in fact not.

What I'd would miss though in juno are pads, much more convinient to compose rythms patterns using them then keys.
Also lack of pattern maybe too, althogh that can fake some how
I guess? Of course fantom X has batter keys and is built probably stronger then juno will be, so I need better bag for him.

Just looks like jono has all I need to complete my bigger roland as workstation (plus gigs), that I can record and chose variety
of sound and expand if I need, I'm not into multisample editing
anyway. Don't have time for that. Life is too short :)

great info about juno:
http://rolandclan.info/en/model/juno-g/
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

"...no decent piano" (as regards the Juno-G). I disagree with this statement. There are new piano samples in the Juno-G. Whether these are the bank B samples from the Fantom-X series, or entirely new samples remains to be seen. But it will definitely have more (different/additional) piano samples than the Fantom-S, Fantom-Xa, i.e. the "A" bank. And BTW I think the "A" bank grand piano samples are pretty good. I still go back and forth, especially on live gigs. I like "Ultimate Grand" and its derivatives from the "B" bank, but I also like "So True" and its derivatives from the "A" bank. They aint bad!

Scott Tibbs makes sure to note the grand piano sound in his video demo, so you can bet it is one of Roland's selling points for the Juno-G.
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

I guess we'll find out about that Juno-G piano when it finally hits stores ... I wouldn't set your hopes too high, though ...

I just watched the video ... notice how he stays in the middle resgister mostly only once venturing into the higher range, which sounded quite ice picky -- and that was with the benefit of some bass tones behind it ... Sorry but I'd hardly call that inspiring ...

Plus, if you're a decent enough player, you can make just about any piano patch sound good if you play to its stengths rather than its weaknesses ... IMO, the upper and lower registers are where a piano patch really shows its stuff ...

I guess all we can do is wait ... but coupled with the cheaper keybed, ultimately I'm not sure it's going to be a totally "grand" experience ...

It's got to be better than "So true ... " though (which I do not find acceptable at all solo but sounds sometimes a little better than UltimatGrand in a mix). "So true" was probably the single most important factor keeping me away from the S.(which is what the Juno-G is minus full sampling and the pads).

I'm mean, what kind of $1000+ workstation comes with a crappy piano patch?

Well, actually, most of them.
slargthorb

Post by slargthorb »

Diametro has said the g comes with the fantom s sounds a couple of times, but if I'm not mistaken it is the X sounds. Also you are writing off the keybed before even trying it. I'll admit you're more than likely right on that one but I would at least wait until you play one in the store first. Then you can come on here and shoot it down in flames!
cuborg

Post by cuborg »

Diametro is just defending his own decision he bought fantom X,
this is normal psychologicaly. Maybe year ago this was right, but
I afraid not anymore for that price they're asking for it.
Eltonfan

Post by Eltonfan »

Where can i view this video of the Juno?
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

"Diametro is just defending his own decision he bought fantom X,
this is normal psychologicaly. Maybe year ago this was right, but
I afraid not anymore for that price they're asking for it. "

Diametro is just going to give that a very big ....

WHAT-EVAH!

You can see that white-hot Juno-G video at

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... arentId=83

The best part is right at the beginning when Scott Tibbs announces one of the things he likes about the G -- and that's pretty much all he discusses about the board's features other than demo some patches -- is the favorites list. "I can put all my favorite sounds in a row."

Wow! Now that's impressive.

BTW, I'm NOT wrong about the Fantom S soundset being the basis for the Juno-G. Where Roland is perhaps causing the confusion is with its "Fantom X-quality sound engine" phrase, True, but not the soundset.

Anyway, many of the best sounds will be found on the SRX cards. Choose wisely, though. 'Cause you only get one on the G.

But I've already written that (and a big reason why I returned my Xa) ... it's just NOT a flagship synth. Too many cutdowns and compromises. For a gigging board it's nice. Or as a way to get a taste of Roland's ROMpler sound. Or maybe as a very, very nice starter/intermediate board.

But if you want the best, you're not going to find it in a Juno-G.

Sayonara. I'm done with all this Gee-ness.
OnIt

Post by OnIt »

well i was faced with the same dilema just one month ago,

wait for juno G, get a second hand x6 or a brand new XA, or triton tr.

i went for the second hand x6, and I must say I'm glad, certainly for what I want it has all the features, especially the sampling side of things, which mean totally future proof interms of sounds. I think the juno g will be a bit of a compromise really in terms of features, and I know i would always be wanting that little bit more from it. the screen on the x6 is awesome, and i got this synth second hand for about 100 quid more than a new juno g and it's mint.

pleasure http://www.icompositions.com/artists/OnIt
business http://www.virtual-living.co.uk