Juno-G, welcome to Fantomized!

Forum for JUNO-G
Artemiy
Site Admin

Juno-G, welcome to Fantomized!

Post by Artemiy »

Dear Juno-G,

please feel welcome at your new home - a dedicated discussion forum at Fantomized. Since you look so cool and base on the Fantom-X engine, we'll be glad to talk about you over here.

;-)

After checking out the specs and the manual, just some notes on the Juno-G:

- It includes the Fantom-S/Xa set of waveforms (64 MB bank A), this means it doesn't have the Fantom-X bank B waves like the big grand piano. However, it seems that it also has some new waves included, we'll have to wait for the sound list.

- I don't think it's yet clear how it can work with samples, maybe it does have some playback/synthesis abilities but it's more likely that it just allows to use them in the audio tracks. We'll have to dig through the manual to find out, though I already see it says you can play audio phrases from the keys.

Yours,
Artemiy.
V-CeeOh

Re: Juno-G, welcome to Fantomized!

Post by V-CeeOh »

oh yeah,
this baby really deserves to be among us.
I personally will be waiting for...maybe... a Juno-X ;-)

The audio track seem to work in a very similar way as the Fantom Audio Tracks. No "sample" editing but just the regular "copy", "paste", "move", etc.

o - ...just could not afford the 8
(
\_/
hear what I've done with the 7
breakbeatmonster

marketing or inovation?

Post by breakbeatmonster »

you're right it looks like the old one. nice.

the only thing makes me a little bit thought-provoking is that roland do new products like I played lego (lego.com) with 5 years. They alwasy put the already existing technologies in a new box with a new user interface .. thats it. The last big deal was COSM and Vsynth i think. Now every product are the little childs of this technologies. What I trying to say is: do a fantomX owner this keyboard? Or should we look at access (access) or waldorf instead to have more variety?

I'm looking foreward to the SH-201! Expecialy the VSTi-interface sounds interesting. WHY IS THERE NO VSTi-Interface for the fantom :-(

Apart from that my personal appointment number 1 is the music fair in frankfurt this year! I'll be there!

Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I don't think there's anything strange or pure marketing-related in the release of Juno-G. It is a killer keyboard for those who don't need the super power of the big Fantoms, even the Xa - those who just need a sound engine, simple sequencer, though audio tracks put it higher than I'd expect (thumbs up Roland). It's what the XP-30 used to be 8 years back, a great performance ROMpler, yet indeed it adds much more features than just that.
lelo

Juno0G

Post by lelo »

Art and Fix.

Why one slot for an SRX card, i think the XP30 had 2. Again, this should have been like an XP30 but with SRX sounds in it
you know,ultimate Keys,Dance Supreme,Orchastra. Anyway i hope it sounds good, does anyone know the price range on this board?
soloist

Post by soloist »

The new Juno-G looks to be exactly what I am looking for to replace my XP-50. The majority of the Fantom X features (most important, for me at least, 128 notes polyphony, Audio track recording and an SRX slot) at, apparently, an affordable price.

Additionally, I really like to cosmetics of this board, retro styling aside, I love black keyboards and I love the orange backlit display. Using the Fantom S for awhile I have come to dislike monochrome displays. Although they make navigation a little easier they are so bright that they are at times distracting. The screen on my Fantom-X is a lot better because the color takes a lot of the harshness out of staring into a flourescent bulb (which has a very blue, and to me, very fatiguing, white point) but I always wanted to have a keyboard that could do nearly everything the F-X could do (especially the audio track recording) but had an orange backlit screen like my XP-50. Last thing, no pads! Although useful to some, I find those bright orange pads useless and odd looking; I think that they would look a lot better if the default illumination for the pad LED's were OFF until you used them for holding an audio track/sample. I guess all of this does not matter that much if the keyboard does not sound good, though I am assuming it will be similar to the Xa, if that is the case then I will definitely be getting one.

Anyway, enough rambling; anyone have any idea what the price will be for the U.S market? Also, when do these become available? I am assuming it will be second quarter 2006 like most manufactures but the earlier the better.
The Box Drone

Post by The Box Drone »

So besides sampling (which seems up in the air at the moment), what has the Xa got that the Juno doesn't?

Pearls of wisdom, no mistake, but I bought a Fantom-Xa anyways ;)
The Box Drone

Post by The Box Drone »

Ahh yes, Pads... anything else?

martin2006

Post by martin2006 »

hi,

i kind of fell in love with the looks and description of the juno-g.

it looks fun and seems to have some great features.
also the new sh-201 is a great-looking synthesizer. i just don't really understand why it's advertised as a newbie synth. probably because it's not as expensive and feature-rich as many other ones.

i've been playing music as a hobby for over 20 years and played lots of different synths (including an sh 101! that hummed and basically sucked because it had all sorts of funny quirks)

but i think if i didn't already own a moog voyager i'd go for the 201. i love the idea of a basic synth that's unpretentious and simple to use. no menus, not too many patches and kind of a happy-looking design. (same for the juno-g!)
thumbs up on the design folks at roland.

hope to find out when these new synths will be available in canada...

martin
The Box Drone

Post by The Box Drone »

What part of Canada are you from Martin?

martin2006

Post by martin2006 »

moi? ottawa. (... is a mighty good town, they never turn the maple leaf upside down)
The Box Drone

Post by The Box Drone »

Cool, I'm in BC. A couple of friends moved out to Ottawa a while back, and they're loving it there.

2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Artemio - you are so cool and so classy. This is a great addition to the fold. Leave it to you to be on this right away and to give the JG its own section in the forum.

I need to check the specs out - I was getting the impression that it had all of the waves from the Fantom-X series. If not, that would sort of be a drag, since I use the X piano and 1 bass sound from the "B" bank.

BTW will the "G" load your wonderful Planet-F sounds?