Fantom S Vs Juno G

Forum for JUNO-G
lelo

Fantom S Vs Juno G

Post by lelo »

Before the Namm came i was looking at getting a Fantom S, but now after seeing the Juno G, i wonder should i just wait and see how different these two boards are. Juno G has the same sounds as the Fantom S, minus the pads,digital out,bigger screen and i think the JunoG dosn't have RPS. If any of you Roalnd guy's care to share some insight on this
i would apreciate it. Iam more concern how the Juno G sounds compared to a Fantom S. Silky-T didn't go through many of the sounds while he demoed it at namm.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Fantom S Vs Juno G

Post by Artemiy »

Juno-G cons as compared to Fantom-S

- No patterns or RPS
- Smaller screen
- No pads
- No multisample support
- No aftertouch on the keyboard
- 1 SRX slot (4 on the Fantom-S)

Juno-G pros:

- 128 voices (64 on the FS)
- 4 Audio tracks
- Support for 512 MB DIMM memory (256 MB on FS)
- Support for larger storage with PC card (128 MB on FS)
- Some extra waveforms, more new stock patches

My personal opinion:

I never use RPS and patterns, linear recording only. This means the slightly simpler sequencer is not a problem. Twice the polyphony and audio tracks is a big plus. You have support for samples still, and there is the D-beam and the complete Fantom-X synthesis/effects engine... To be really frank, if I was to purchase a synth today, I'd go for the Juno-G and not for Fantom-X6, I mean it - the retail price is half lower after all!
Andrew

Well, well..

Post by Andrew »

Artemio said:

"To be really frank, if I was to purchase a synth today, I'd go for the Juno-G and not for Fantom-X6, I mean it - the retail price is half lower after all!"

Hmm... I never thought I would see that...

All silliness aside, as a former owner of a Juno - 60 - I love that Juno G's retro style!

Best,
Andrew
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Andrew:

Features I use on my Fantom:
- Synthesis, effecting, sampling
- Basic sequencing

All of these are in the G, so why would I spend more money? I'd rather go for Juno-G + V-Synth!
lelo

Post by lelo »

You have support for samples still.

So is it limited to just one shot samples, like hits,stabs,drum samples? because i would like to load drum kits and loops in it.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

"Multisample" means that you can combine many samples to be split on the keyboard chromatically. Juno-G won't allow that, but as about using and timestretching loops and creating drum kits out of single samples - this is be possible with Juno-G.
Bartology

Post by Bartology »

You're talking about two completely different synth, I think. I can't say what I would buy if I had the choice now.

It depends on what you would like to do with it.

I wouldn't trade my X7 for a G.

FantomX7, Motif7, CVP-96 and some other stuff
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, Juno-G is the most stripped down of the serious Roland synths, yet it is stripped to the very essentials but also with some extras like the audio tracks. Indeed if you want a powerhouse you shouldn't bother checking it out, but as I said even for me Juno-G would have been attractive compared to Fantom-S.
lelo

Juno G

Post by lelo »

Thanks Art for your info. I like to keep it simple,I like seqencing in pattern mode,that's what i did with my XP50
RPS i used alot,i would place my patterns on a few keys and
trigger it like a sampler.I think i can do well with the Juno G.
Iam thinking about what SRX card to put in that one slot, I love Ep's alot, So thats why iam leaning towards the Ultimate Keys card than the SRX-12, I like variety of rhodes patches.
MK20,80 and DX-7 rhodes.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I'd suggest you compare the new EPs board with the Ultimate Keys. That new board may have more detail in sound, sound fresher, but SRX-07 is a killer with the variety as it also includes classic organs and vintage synths.
lelo

SRX-12

Post by lelo »

I wish during Namm they would have Demo more of it. They had it on the Roland site but got rid of it.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Why, there is a "Video" link at the SRX-12 page and I've just watched it:
http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... arentId=72