Xa vs. JUNO-G

Forum for JUNO-G
syrinx

Xa vs. JUNO-G

Post by syrinx »

In my understanding, the JUNO-G has more samples, audio tracks sequencer, ..etc. So, would I be correct to assume that the JUNO-G is a superior workstation to the Xa?
Thing is, the JUNO-G is sold for $995 vs. $1395 for the Xa (according to zzounds.com pricing), so can anyone explain the $400 difference? Is it safe to assume that there will be a price drop in the Xa? Or is it going to be discontinued?

Thanks.
robi

Re: Xa vs. JUNO-G

Post by robi »

juno-G does not have any sampling capabillity as far as I remember - but then again, I could be wrong...

Fantom X8 V2 512MB and SRX-11
syrinx

Post by syrinx »

Robi, I think you are right, I can't seem to find any document that talks about any sampling abilities for the JUNO-G. Also it doesn't have the drum pads.

But still, with the 4-track audio sequencer and the new sample set, the JUNO-G looks very appealing, and makes the decision to go for the Xa harder and harder than before.

Best.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I am happy to say that you are both wrong ;-)

There is a full-blown sampler in the Juno-G, with resampling, onscreen editor, etc. More here: http://rolandclan.info/en/model/juno-g/.
robi

Post by robi »

Point, but at least I was right when I said I could be wrong ;-)

Fantom X8 V2 512MB and SRX-11
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Haha, indeed ;-)
frozendelay

Post by frozendelay »

wow now that I took some time to check ot the Juno G i think its way better than an Xa... Im now thinking of buying the Juno G plus a SRX card... still cheaper than a Xa
syrinx

Post by syrinx »

I am damn happy to be wrong on this one :) But jeez, now I think it's case closed for the JUNO-G, why would anyone pay $400 more for less features? Unless again, the Xa will be discontinued or its price will drop.

Best.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Xa still has the pads, and multisample creation abilities, four context-sensitive knobs. Juno-G has 4 audio tracks over it, a mixer and a slightly larger display. I'd go for the G any day if you ask! Awesome machine, can't wait to play with it.
LivePsy

Post by LivePsy »

I have to comment on Roland's design for the Juno-G. It doesn't look like it can do all those things. I bet anyone wandering through a retail store will think its a bigger brother to the Juno-D rather than most of the serious features of a fantom X.

We're talking about sampling like we don't expect it in a keyboard which looks and costs like that. "Wow! It samples as well?"

Not often we discuss that a fantom is better than we thought!
B
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

I think that's an important distinction, and one I brought up early on after the Juno-G's announcement:

It does sample in that it records incoming audio. By that definition Pro Tools samples as well. But what it doesn't do is multisample. That's the important thing. So if you want to load a loop or a vocal phraze or some other audio string, no problem. However if you wanted to set up a multi-sampled patch such as a custom electric piano or synthesizer with a number of samples mapped up the keyboard, it can't do that.

For me, that's kind of a big deal, but I usually never wind up using my own multi-samples on these keyboards anyway.

Aside from that, I think the "G" blows the "Xa" away in price vs performance. I wish we could hear some proper demos of it.
The Box Drone

Post by The Box Drone »

*I* STILL LOVE YOU FANTOM XA!

;)

Pearls of wisdom, no mistake, but I bought a Fantom-Xa anyways ;)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Fantom any no what matter DOES ROCKS!
martin2006

Post by martin2006 »

i kind of like the xa and just bought one. i think there are some aspects that rock, that the juno doesn't have.

plus, it's already available, and tried and tested.

has anybody apart from silky t, ever played one and seen if the OS is buggy, how the key action is, how it deals with huge amounts of sample date, etc?

being an xa these days must be like being shipped to an old peoples' home.

CUBE