Finally Played the Juno G

Forum for JUNO-G
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Finally Played the Juno G

Post by Artemiy »

Diametro, if you wear jeans for $100, then jeans for $200 are what you *really* want, you are making a big mistake wearing those cheap ones.
sambasevam

Post by sambasevam »

But why buy the 100 dollar one when you can get the 200 dollar one USED, infact, for say, 80 dollars, and be totally happy with it? I meant the Fantom S. ;-)

I understand Roland's trying to make money by repackaging the same thing for different target audience, and thats not bad. I'm not saying Juno-G is bad. I'm saying, you can get a used Fantom S for a lesser price and have stuff that Juno G doesnt have.

However, if you're perfectly happy with the Juno G and think that you'd enjoy it more than the Fantom S/X, i'm totally happy for you. Its what works best for YOU. For me (if i were a person looking for a workstation) it would be a used Fantom S/X.

Just throwing out my 2 cents.

Art,
Diametro DOES have his right to express his opinion, doesnt he? He's infact trying to help. In a forum, positive remarks AND negative remarks SHOULD exist. Thats what forms a good discussion (imo). I felt you were being a *bit* harsh on him. Just my opinion ofcourse. I LOVE this forum, and really dont want this forum to turn into one of the Irish Acts or sweetwater forums. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------
If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is definitively not for you.
peterned

Post by peterned »

If money weren't an issue, then only the top of the line model would be the one to consider. But that's exactly the point; money IS an issue. If your budget is limited, you gotta check your options. Obviously "for a bit more" you get something better, but if for instance a 2nd hand Juno G is already stretching your budget, a fantom is most likely not an option. It's the same reason for most people not to buy an oasys.

And actually, why do we buy the Fantom X anyway? for what it costs, you can collect quite a nice set of 2nd hand gear, including some vintage analog stuff if you like; It all depends on your preferences.

The only problem I have with the Juno D and G, is that they are sample based synthesizers, whereas the old Junos were analog. I'd prefer the Sh201 over the Juno D anytime. As for the G, I dunno, but then again ;) I got an X already.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Sam:

Yes, of course ALL opinions are welcome. And I do not want Diametro treat my long debates wrong ;-)

But as about the used vs. new - I never buy used gear, I just don't like the fact that someone already touched and abused it (unless it's a vintage piece of course)! S vs. G - G has twice the polyphony and 4 audio tracks, S has a larger screen, pads and RPS - so it's a matter of personal preference now.
SteveePre

Post by SteveePre »

Hey Dudes,
Personally i have to agree with Diametro..i playe the Jung-G yesterday and i was like..YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME..I have the Fantom-S and it doesn't even compare.. ok the lil audio recording capabilitie but who really uses that in LIVE situations....and as far as sounds..because of the fact i have a REAL SAMPLER and have been insanely increasing my sample base..that JUNO-G sounds like a toy compare to my S...now i will say there may be a could of patches i would like to have but that's bout it...my advice..get and X...pay the lil $45 for audio expansion if ya need it...you'd be better off...
pirell

Post by pirell »

well each to their own. i remember posting here a few months ago in april..that i was at odds deciding wether to go for the TR or the juno-g.. well due to rolands constant delay i decided to get the TR.

its good. and has some new sound sets but i noticed waaay to much reverb slapped on everything, as well as it using the same engine as the triton, which though is tried and tested is still quite outdated. some samples are just terrible, like the piano...and guitars.

however after finally getting to play with the juno-G for a few days, i decided to get rid of my TR and exchanged it at no extra cost for the Juno-G. using the fantom chip..the sound quality overall beats the TR by a long way (except in certain drums which i think are equal..but both rubbish tbh)

i guess one is right that it may be better to go for the fantom and i already have the fantom-S but...its twice the price and thats quite a big difference. a Toyota camry is not a BMW 5 series, but still a wonderful car.
lelo

Post by lelo »

I like the Juno G because of its sounds. I played a FAntom X and it didn't move me like the Juno G sounds set. I didn't spen alot of time with the Fantom S and was considering buying one but didn't see one on ebay.I like the XV5080 alot as well as the fantom S. I think the Juno G has a Little bit of them both in it and for that reason i have one its "SO EASY TO WORK WITH" the way they laid out that 4trk recorder,push one button select a track,put in the count or measure you comming on,hit record,start playing. I didn't even have it in front of me and i knew my way around it from watching Mr Harris on that roland site teach me how easy it is
to record on it. I wish it had one more slot instead of one,thats why iam pushing for a compulation SRX for the Juno G. Super Session II, the best of the best on one card.
You right about it being built cheap,but i "LOVE MY Juno G" and i an't taking it back :)
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

Lelo,

You're making things up in your head if you think the Juno-G soundset is somehow "more inspiring" than the Fantom X's.

The Juno-G has less waveforms, less patches, way less great patches -- and more importantly way less expansion capability -- and the piano ... well, I still haven't tried it ...

If anybody has any concrete data on this, please inform me. As it is, I may head out to GC tomorrow just to see if this is the case (and to do a factory reset on all the Fantoms -- the flash memory is probably pretty knackered by now.)

I hate to keep going on this, but I just can't sit here and be a party to someone's delusion ... (This is like the second or third time you've posted this belief that the G has different/and or better patches than the X -- although I guess it has some "analog" patches on board -- but that's the LAST thing I'm buying a workstation for!)

However, in the end -- and this is the good news, everything is the same on the synthesis end. However, with a ROMpler, half the battle (or more) is in the quality of its samples, and that's where the Fantom and its SRX expandability scores big.

I'm happy you like the Juno-G ... I was actually quite excited by it in a way before Alesis lowered the price on the Fusion -- which was STILL a bargain -- and I saw the build quality. (All I can say is Yamaha PSR -- even the screen is the same colour.)

If I was workstation shopping now, I might have even picked one up myself. (I originally went into GC to get a TRITON Le!!! and just couldn't bring myself to do it, thank Gorf!)

You WILL be able to make some great sh-t on it.

Have at it!

And if you have any questions ... be sure to post them on the forthcoming Juno-G board! (smiley face with a big pucker!)

Just kidding. XV brothers under the skin whether it be plastic or metal!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Roland Fantom X7, Alesis Fusion 6HD, Novation X/A-Station 25, Alesis Micron
M BOT

Post by M BOT »

just like Han Solo said in Star Wars about the Mellinium Falcon... it may not look like much but it's got it where it counts kid!
the juno G has exactly the same synth engine and the same amount of effects as the fantom X and lots of sounds that were newly sampled just for the G so thats probably why lelo likes it,
and the top plate of the juno G is made of metal not plastic you ding dong!
as far as i'm concerned i would only pay extra for the X if it had a five band master eq and more insert effects because the Motif ES whips it's arse in this area.
artemio! can you please tell Roland to put a master eq on the juno G and fantom X cause it damn well needs it and it would only be a small matter of an OS update,why they forgot it is beyond me!
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

Well, you're going to get a full report on these new sounds ... If they're any good ... I hope they beome available for the X.

Funny, I can't find a list of the Juno-G's soundset.

All I know is that the two times I flipped through the Juno-G presets -- especially in the orchestral section -- I couldn't find anything decent.

trix

Post by trix »

hey

i too hope the new juno g sounds are avialable for the fantom x (especially if they sound very good).

Juno G looks a bit too retro for my liking..you want a new piece of gear..not something that looks old...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I do not think the G's sounds will ever be available for S/X, there is quite some work needed to re-map each ROM waveform, not to mention you'll actually need to find which patches are newly-added.
SteveePre

Post by SteveePre »

Hey watch it Diametro....I have a Triton LE76 and a Fantom-X as well and let me tell you..together these two are killier..i use the Fantom as the synth/workstation on top to run my LIVE backing tracks and and the Triton as a controller...sounds absolutely wonderful..and let me tell you i bought the PCM05 Piano expansion for the LE and also some 3rd party programs that will KNOCK your socks OFF..bottom line EVERY..and i mean EVERY synth has SOMETHING that is worthwhile....i agree the Juno-G is overated but for a person with limited budget and new to the synth/game it is quite appealing...there is no way you going to convince me or other folk that the AUDIO demo songs on the JUNO is NOT KILLING....
Diametro

Post by Diametro »

Well ... I must have been in a more charitable mood today or the Juno-G actually seduced me a bit ... (went to GC. with my headphones to re-audition the G) ..

1) The soundset is fine ... I went in there looking for gross deficiencies but really didn't find too many. Yes, some Fantom-X patches are not present ... but there are a few new Juno-G ones to make up (easy to spot cause they're marked Juno-G) ... I think you'd have to be pretty lame to not be able to make some good music with these sounds ...

2) the piano seemed pretty good ... I'm not going to go as far to say it's on par with the X's UltimatGrand, but it's not that far off either ...

3) the build quality didn't seem so bad today ... yes, the sliders are very wobbly ... but I actually liked the rubberized jog wheel ...

4) It's very light ... would be very easy to move around. As for it's roadworthiness, I suppoese if you take care of it, the Juno-G will probably be OK.

5) Although the keybed lacks aftertouch, it didn't seem so horrible today ...

I must have been in a "all synths are beautiful" mood today ...

And, Steve, I agree there's alot to like with the Triton range. I'm hoping to add a Karma to my rig pretty soon.

It's definately a lot easier choosing a synth when you already have a few ... the demands on what it needs to do go down dramatically.

In that regard, I think the G scores well ... it CAN do ALOT ...

Rejoice!

EDIT: After practicing for an hour on the X7 ... I think actually my biggest problem with the Juno-G as a main board is the number of keys. I'm a staunch supporter of 76 keys.

Actually, I had an Xa before the X7, and returned it because I was too used to 76 keys having come from a humble Yamaha PSR-76.

Having the Fusion 6HD, I know you can get by with 61 keys ... and the confines actually force you to be creative at times ... but the extra real estate is also good for extra zones, etc. which is a is big part of my solo electronic act ...

Still, as an add-on board or just using it as a recorder with another synth ... it's not a horrible proposition.

Personally, I can't believe Roland's kept the price up so high on the X series ... I vowed I'd wait until the price dropped until I bought one ... I'd still be waiting and I bought a year ago!

But with the amount of time I've spent in front of it, playing it constantly and enjoying the experience immensely, the price is almost irrelevant.

bobzilla

*** CAUTION *** Noob Alert!

Post by bobzilla »

Diametro,

I was very impressed with your post. It was refreshing to see someone actually admit to changing their mind (don’t see enough of that on the net).

Anyway, like I said I am a noob. I just got the Juno G in the mail today. I was going to buy a Juno D that I played with at Guitar Center but then I found out about the Juno G. It seems really cool but either I am being really stupid (a distinct possibility) but the guitar patches on the Juno G don’t seem very good. In fact they all but a couple patches don’t even resemble guitar sounds. The Juno D had (what I thought) were pretty decent guitar samples. I know it is based on a different sound engine but I was wondering if you had a chance to try out the guitar patches on the Juno G when you played with it at GC. Does the Fantom X have better samples then the Juno G? I have 45 days to return and may consider a Fantom if that is the case.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

Bobzilla