juno-g sampling question

Forum for JUNO-G
raccoon

juno-g sampling question

Post by raccoon »

hello all,

i am trying to make a sample play in reverse in a song. i sample the sound, set the loop mode to REV-ONE and save it. when i preview it, it sounds right - in reverse. but when i insert it, it plays forward. am i skipping a step? any ideas?
thanks
RobJuno

Another Juno G Bug???

Post by RobJuno »

Interesting. I hadn't come upon this problem myself before. It seems samples will play in reverse correctly within patches, but there is no onboard means to render a sample in reverse. I really thought there was! It's a bit silly given the normalise, truncate, emphasis, chop and combine functions. I also thought there might be the means to permanently reverse the sample using the software ditor, but no. I'm amazed I've overlooked this. I have saved samples that I believed were reversed, which in reality simply had the direction specified as reverse. But I experience the same forward play within the song recorder. So... is this another bug of the Juno G???
raccoon

Re: juno-g sampling question

Post by raccoon »

RobJuno,

while i was waiting for someone to respond, i tried a different method of dropping a one-shot reverse sample into a song. i simply assigned it to one of the 16 midi tracks. it plays in reverse, just as expected. this may be the way to go, although it burns a midi track for one second-long sample. of course, i can switch patch/sample assignments on the fly with sysex messages or make a rhythm kit, but it seems like too much work. i was hoping i could just drop samples into an audio track and be done with it. could be a bug.

speaking of bugs, what about this annoyance that switches off mfx applied to external sources while recording? like when you plug a guitar, apply an amp simulator, press record and the effect is off? people keep asking about this, but those threads go unanswered.
Slapbass

Post by Slapbass »

Hello Raccoon:
Yes, it's quite strange the effects turn off when you try to record an external audio source, but it is written in the manual so it´s not a bug, it's in Juno's specs...but t's nonsense.
RobJuno

Post by RobJuno »

I suppose you can resample through the effects re-applied to the recorded dry audio track. But I expect you then get the drop in quality (brightness/high-frequency detaail) as currently being discussed within these threads regarding the Fantom... and for which I noticed straight away with the Juno when mixing-down internally. Nice idea... useless implementation. I use Cubase for any audio mixdowns. I can't for the life of me understand why Roland would create a feature that wasn't good enough quality to be as outstandingly usefull as it could be!
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

hi racoon and RobJuno, i found your posts ´couse i have the same problem (eye of the tiger - reverse piano sample) in audio screen mode it sounds ok but after inserting into audio track it plays fwd. what the hell ?
i red further about inserting sample in midi track. strange for me so far. but i think of making something like twice sampling method. fist make rev sample and second sample reverse sample. it is only idea ´couse i m out of board now.
and just one question. is it posssible to insert sample in audio track whereever ? seems like only ii the begginig of a measure.

thanks
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

i think you chaps are using the juno g the wrong way round.use the 4 audio tracks for live recording.
use the rhythm group or patch performance mode for samples on individual notes/keys.
use the user group and card group templates for your samples you can have a keyboard full of samples in just one of the midi channels/tracks.
i see what you are trying to do with wave files.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

i know it's been a long time but my juno g was not working in order for me to test this.

so i figured out what you have to do in order to play the sample in reverse.

goto the audio sample edit screen and find your sample.scroll down and reverse the sample.
thebn press song,then patch,then scroll up to where you choose your samples.
press a key on the keyboard and assign the selected sample to that key,if you are using it in a keygroup for midi channel ten,then you will obviously choose the key you want,or in patch mode on channels 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9 ect.
once you have your sample on a key,press the performance button so it is the only thing lit.
now hold the shift button and now on the screen it will give you the option to sample,press sample.
then you will see another set of option,sampling/resampling/mix/autodivide/solo/exit.
press re sampling.
now it will give you options to auto trig to record.select auto trig.
to record your new reversed sample,hold the key on the keyboard that has your sample on it.it will start to record,after you press stop.
once recorded you have to save the new reorded sample.write it to user area or card.
now when you insert the sample into the audio track,it will be reversed.