Serial No's and LCD issues.

Forum for JUNO-G
Crunchyweta

Re: Serial No's and LCD issues.

Post by Crunchyweta »

Purchased a Juno G in November this year. Within 6 weeks the screen is malfunctioning -double writing and bottom half all streaked and not reallty readable. It was brand new and is a version 2 model. How can this still be happening?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

With your serial number you can decode the mfg. date from the first three characters and the # in the batch from the remaining digits.

There's a post around here somewhere, but post your # and we'll see when yours was made. It could be from the bad batches and been sitting on a shelf. You could also compare to those posted on this thread.

If you just got it, it should be covered under warranty no problem.
Johann van Rensburg

Post by Johann van Rensburg »

# ZX 08018 - Made in China
Had it for a year now.

I have read and seen many posts of users complaining of failing displays - lines or sections going missing etc.
So far mine seems OK, but what I have had since day one, is that the middle bottom area of the screen is a little darker (less backlit). It's not getting any worse as far as I can tell.

Is this any indication of bad news coming, or is it somewhat normal ?

Feedback would really be appreciated.
egg

Post by egg »

Just bought mine second hand a few weeks ago, not sure exactly how old it is but I worked out from the serial number ZV909026 it is late 2006 I think. Made in China, no sticker on top.

I haven't had any major problems with the screen but it is very poor quality. The only strange thing about it so far is that in Performance mode the contrast of the middle section goes very pale. When I switch back to Patch mode it goes back to normal. I hope this isn't a sign that it's starting to fail. Has anyone else noticed this? I read somewhere else here that someone had this problem but not really heard it mentioned other than the one post about it.
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

egg wrote:Just bought mine second hand a few weeks ago, not sure exactly how old it is but I worked out from the serial number ZV909026 it is late 2006 I think. Made in China, no sticker on top.

I haven't had any major problems with the screen but it is very poor quality. The only strange thing about it so far is that in Performance mode the contrast of the middle section goes very pale. When I switch back to Patch mode it goes back to normal. I hope this isn't a sign that it's starting to fail. Has anyone else noticed this? I read somewhere else here that someone had this problem but not really heard it mentioned other than the one post about it.
Unfortunately, this is "normal" for the juno-g screen. Maybe some LCD are worse than others, but I don't think it's a sign that it is starting to fail. Let's just hope it won't become so pale that it will be unreadable, but the "messed up lcd" problem is a different thing.
egg

Post by egg »

tompabes wrote:
egg wrote:Just bought mine second hand a few weeks ago, not sure exactly how old it is but I worked out from the serial number ZV909026 it is late 2006 I think. Made in China, no sticker on top.

Unfortunately, this is "normal" for the juno-g screen. Maybe some LCD are worse than others, but I don't think it's a sign that it is starting to fail. Let's just hope it won't become so pale that it will be unreadable, but the "messed up lcd" problem is a different thing.
Thanks, that's very reassuring. Since writing my original post a few weeks ago it hasn't deteriorated at all. I have to say though, the poor quality of the screen has really shocked me. I've always been a Yamaha/Korg person and decided to try a Roland. I expected the build quality to be on par with the other two but was very surprised to see it's quite poor. I'd be very unlikely to buy another Roland, even though the sounds are superb :(
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Crunchyweta wrote:Purchased a Juno G in November this year. Within 6 weeks the screen is malfunctioning -double writing and bottom half all streaked and not reallty readable. It was brand new and is a version 2 model. How can this still be happening?
Because someone wants to make you believe that it's only and issue with certain serial numbers but obviously it is not. You are not the first person reporting the same issue on the "wrong" serial number.
The same goes for Korg; when they started having a problems with "frozen" M50's, someone came up with idea that it affects only low serial numbers which is an utter lie. They have issues with "bad capacitors" even today, which is a sign of some generic problem - because bad capacitors seem not to be the cause, but effect of some deeper problem. The same seem to be with LCD screens for Juno G - the problem seems to be and effect of some other issue. Because I keep hearing people lamenting on how the newly installed screen fails them after 6-8 months, or even less. Some of the users replaced it more than once, with the same outcome.
silverleo

Post by silverleo »

Today I've opened my Juno-G to check the volume pot, and I looked at the lcd board.
Looking at the poor flat cable connection it's obvious that problems arise.
No connector at all, just some drops of epoxy to glue the flat onto position!

All boards inside the Juno are pretty well designed, wiring is just perfect and clean *BUT* the lcd board is cheap and you can see that someone in Roland decided that a simple part as a "lcd board" could be designed by a "third party" vendor somewhere in the world, saving (maybe) 0.1$ per sold keyboard.
The "third party" guys went into a budget/cost issue, and cleverly realized this: "Hey, that flat connector is costing too much. A friend of mine told me that a flat cable can be arranged with epoxy glue. This can save us *lot of money*!"

The solution, in my opinion, consists of removing epoxy glue and solder a *real* flat connector. Contact someone with some decent ability with a soldering tool and a working brain. Stop paying for servicing that is just "board replacing".
strangiato

Post by strangiato »

strangiato wrote:SN: ZV-----
Made: Japan
Owned: ~18 months (Purchased in March 2008)
Issues: Although the LCD still works, there are multiple vertical stripes of lighter pixels on the screen and they have been there since it was brand new.

Use: Light duty. Only leaves my house ~4 times a year.
LCD has gotten worse. When using it about a month ago, the screen would have trouble during boot up, with the lower half blank. Once booted up, it was completely blank. Sometimes, I could get it to work if I power cycled it over and over. Of course when it came time to perform, I could not get it to work and had to just figure out the which order the performances where in and how many "clicks" of the dial I had to move it. It didn't work out too well.

I am the original owner, so hopefully I can get it fixed at no charge...

-tim
Sandr

Post by Sandr »

Serial: ZV 06131
Problems: Twice problems with LCD (2009,fixed),and in June 2012.
Mfg: Stickered "Made in Japan"
Time owned: Since January 2007 (Russia)

What Roland might to advice for us?
egg

Post by egg »

strangiato wrote:
strangiato wrote:SN: ZV-----
Made: Japan
Owned: ~18 months (Purchased in March 2008)
Issues: Although the LCD still works, there are multiple vertical stripes of lighter pixels on the screen and they have been there since it was brand new.

Use: Light duty. Only leaves my house ~4 times a year.
LCD has gotten worse. When using it about a month ago, the screen would have trouble during boot up, with the lower half blank. Once booted up, it was completely blank. Sometimes, I could get it to work if I power cycled it over and over. Of course when it came time to perform, I could not get it to work and had to just figure out the which order the performances where in and how many "clicks" of the dial I had to move it. It didn't work out too well.

I am the original owner, so hopefully I can get it fixed at no charge...

-tim
I'm worried now, mine has the vertical stripes of lighter pixels you describe. I'm nervous everytime I switch it on, half expecting to see double text or blank sections of screen.
wooperman

Post by wooperman »

TRY THIS PLEASE.

I have had good experience with this trick. It probably isnt a fix for people relying on the juno g for live, on the spot set-up. But could save you in a jam. Too simple....let it warm up.
I turn mine on, the screen is 1/2 or 3/4 dead. I leave it on for 10-15 mins, and i notice that when i turn off - then back on, the screen is fine.

I am curious if others have experienced this? I live in Florida. I noticed that I never had problems until winter, when it was cold in my jam room. Once I got the heat going for a few mins, the thing would work.
Now that summer is here, i see it's not a room-temperature thing, but a Juno g temperature thing.
I have taken any scientific data. And my juno screen still occasionally works fine, for no reason at all (imagine)!

So, it makes me wonder if its a connection problem (i know nothing about electronics, but i do know that matter swells with heat) Maybe this makes a connection.

Any how, I'd like for people to add this data along with their serial numbers if possible.

Serial #
ZW23384
ian88

Post by ian88 »

Hi everyone! i bougth a new juno g v2.0 and it works fine!! Someone broke her LCD juno g v2.0 (label red) ? tell me please!!!! im affraid!!!!!!!!!! (sorry for my english)
inversecow

Post by inversecow »

Vendor: Roland
Model#: Juno-G
Serial#: ZV18312
Issue: Dead LCD
Sticker: Made in Japan

I contacted the certified Roland repair tech in my city (Victoria, BC, Canada), who put me in touch with the regional service manager for Roland in Vancouver.
After explaining this is a general (and well documented) production defect, the SM asked me to take the Juno to the repair tech for an "official diagnosis".
Two days later I had my Juno-G back, with a fresh LCD, with the only cost being the labour (LCD replaced under warranty).
Both parties were very helpful, and at a reasonable cost of money and time, all considered.

My "damaged" LCD (Rev A) was exhibiting all the signs of a faulty connection (very little to no output displayed, or badly garbled if visible at all).
The "warm-up" tricks suggested had zero impact, as I suspect my unit was too far gone.
Marcelo2013

Post by Marcelo2013 »

Serial #: ZV18006

Problem: The juno-g has become useless due to the display problem. The display does not work, distorts the image or the quarter screen issue, or no images at all.
I used the sequencer with many audio files in live shows (10 minutes to boot), so turn it off and back on (and pray for his health) was not an option.
For over a year I expect solution from Roland's oficial service. They say there was a problem with the part supplier, but no solution given by now! What is going on Roland?
Roland should fix this immediately with no cost for us.

Sticker: Made in Japan
Manufacturer Location: Buenos Aires / Argentina
Time owned: about 5 years