looking for positive stories

Forum for JUNO-G
mkeschinger

looking for positive stories

Post by mkeschinger »

ok, so the detune thing has me bummed out. I am waiting now for the new panel c. It will be 6-8 weeks.
So far the display has been replaced by former owner. Detune thing with lever. Now I play it and after a bit of continous playing , I'm getting the jumping pitch issue- may be related to panel c.
I need to know. Anyone out there who has had not issues with their board? Or who have had these issues and is great now? I'm debating selling it for parts at this point.
I love playing. I have an old xp 10 never had an issue. Alesis qs 8.1 no issue ( aside from a lack of diversity in sounds) and I play an X8 at church- which i found out last week is also having tune issues. Dropping half a tone. That lever is NEVER used......
ok, I look forward to some positive stories or as mentione before I may have to move onward and upward.
Want to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
:) Thanks in advance gang.
M
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: looking for positive stories

Post by Artemiy »

I have only had my JUNO-G for about a year (back in 2007), but never had any issues with it. Display, keys, controls, everything worked very well. But it never travelled outside of my room.

I quite liked the JUNO-G and I think it's one of the best keyboard Roland produced in the last decade. So much power in such a small package, very capable synth engine, sampler and effects, really easy to use and straightforward sequencer. It's only downside for me comes up if you want to load more than 20-30 MB of samples, this will be slow. But I wouldn't do that anyway, have my Mac for that.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Onward and Upward, that was if your mainboard is fried and it would cost as much or more to repair than you bought it for.

Juno-G is great for a specific market - new producers with limited cash. There are compromises, but what do you expect for the price . There is a lot of potential between sequencing, sound design, and sampling.

IMO, I think a beginner may get lost in the workstation and a piano player wouldn't be satisfied by the ability to resample a bass.

Parts? Seriously?
Tarkov72

Post by Tarkov72 »

I had the pitch probably once (where everything was transposed down one half-step). I did a factory reset and never had the problem again, although I would like to know what caused it so I can be sure to never to do whatever it was that caused it to happen again! I like the Juno, it took some time getting used to the feel of the keys, but once I adjusted they're are fine. I think the keys are very similar to the XP-50. Like Artemiy said, I really like the straightforward sequencer too. I just bought an analog desktop module and really like to use the Juno to control it (and just now started running the module through the Juno's FX, which is turning out to be a huge benefit). The primary reason I was attracted to the Juno originally was because it had a sampler as well. At the time I couldn't find anything with a sampler that was under $1k (is there even anything now that does?) other than Korg's microsampler, and I didn't want that. Anyway, long story short, the Juno has continued to prove it's worth to me over the 2-3 years that I've had it. My only complaint is the manual. I found it to be not user friendly at all. But this forum has been extremely useful and made up for it.
Six One Cynic

Post by Six One Cynic »

I tend to use sequencers as a way of composing melodies rather than for rhythm loops. I like being able to work very closely on composition onscreen. I like my sequencers ultra-simple. I use the Juno G's sequencer because it's a braindead sequencer for children. It allows me not to think about sequencing, and to concentrate on composing....I like sequencers that know their station; humble, cheap and usable.

With good knowledge of subtractive synthesis and a good pair of speakers you can enter Kurzweil territory, and the sampling options are, again, brain-dead and easy to navigate.

The Juno G is the best synth Roland has released, as Artemiy said, in ten or so years...Roland has yet to trump it, looks like Korg and Yamaha just did...maybe the Juno G is the best workstation ever maybe?
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

Well, i have owned the Juno G for two years... the display does go fritizy in hot/humid weather and so i have put money to one side for a replacement... I kinda feel like Art, that the Juno G is really one of the best bang/buck things that came out in the time of rompling..

i gues the big issue is what would you buy instead?..
mkeschinger

Post by mkeschinger »

Thanks for the input guys. I was a little nervous when I saw 85 views and only 5 postings. I have the panel c on order- may take longer than expected at this point ( again, prayers to those in Japan) I havemy local person checking out my panel c to see if what parts may be damaged or not working right. A cap is a cap they say...
If I were to sell it, I would prob go yamaha. I play a lot of different music, but most of my live playing is Christian Contemporary. Brewster, Tomin, Crowns, etc. But I also am creating short songs for my Martial Arts demo team.. That is what I like(d) about the G- So versatile. But, I can't have it switching keys on me mid-song or at random. As funny as it is to hear, well, you don't want that in front of an audience. ;)
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

my first workstation and it's exactly what i wanted,a machine that could make completely new creative music,original twisted sounds if the work is put in,i never wanted to be able to use a keyboard to sound like a guitar or piano or violin,not that i dislike those sounds or instruments,i wanted something that could do what was in my mind,the juno g does just what i wanted to do creatively.
no problems so far with anything on the keyboard.with full ram and 16 gig cf card i record samples straight into the juno g,then save to card that way i can just assign samples straight from the card into my songs,and if i need to edit a sample a just find it then open it in the audio editor screen.
i am chuffed to bits with it.
i love the fact that you can assign samples to patches then use the arpeggio to create the pattern,then hold the lowest note to record that pattern to track,im using this to make break beat techno,acid,house,electro basically all the music i love,even some soul music on the cards to,when i get serious.
i find it so much more easier than using the rhythm pads,i dont use them at all to be honest,the juno is designed for multi purpose styles of creating music,do you want it to play a beat while you jam along to it with your friends with guitars,and so on,or do you want to dig in and program it if you are into tweeking and sound creation from scratch it is ideal.i have other equipment that i still have to get my teeth into,but i think that may have to wait for quite some time.the more i use this machine the better it gets.for me personally its xmas over and over.
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

I play the JUNO-G in a jazz band, and an amateurish acoustic worship band. I've had it for 3 years now.

I don't have a driving license, so the JUNO is the main (and usually only) keyboard in both cases. It's very suitable for that, given its Fantom origins. Only I can hear that the pianos, EP-s, especially the Hammonds are lacking, but neither of the bands are pro enough for that to matter. I grew to love the Tine EP patch; very versatile. I created a "Lower Manual" Hammond sound using the downloadable B4Real.

In the worship band I have a lot of freedom, actually I arrange the heck out of the songs. We have no bassist or percussionist, so I trigger some percussion sounds from the keyboard, and I fallback to the FingerMaster bass patch when I don't have any arrangement idea :) I also use a second keyboard as MIDI controller to play additional parts in Performance mode.

Just yesterday we played like 21 songs and I played complex setups with splits and layers. Some other patches and performances I use are the JG Wurly, Amped EP, JX Warm Pad with manual filter sweep, custom synth accordion patch, Attack Flute, brass section (Stack Trumpet), string ensemble layered with bass drum, custom organs etc. The setlist is usually very spontaneous so I rely heavily on the Live Setting feature - indispensable.

With the JUNO-G, I can approximate whatever synth sound I hear on a track or in my head. I can play as many parts as I can imagine. I can record quick demos for any arrangement I come up with, and then transfer the SMF to the computer and send it to everybody.

Now I'm thinking of buying an FA-06 since it's the same size and weight, but includes virtual analog synths & clonewheel organs & modeled pianos and EP-s without audible velocity switching, alongside the same old PCM engine, so hopefully I will be able to recreate my existing patches on it.

That's how much I enjoy the JUNO-g, sorry for the long post :)