My 2nd LCD ... and broken again..

Forum for JUNO-G
derickeys

My 2nd LCD ... and broken again..

Post by derickeys »

I had my LCD replaced more than a year ago, everything was ok then.. but now and again.. the same problem i had before with my lcd... Roland? Seriously!! What the hell?
tompabes

Re: My 2nd LCD ... and broken again..

Post by tompabes »

This is really really BAD! Our assumption was that Roland had identified and fixed the LCD problem, so that the "second generation" of LCD would last without problems...
There are 2 possibilities: the first is that you got a bad display even when you replaced the first one, the second is that Roland did not fix anything and all the LCDs that have been replaced have a risk of failure equal to the first batch of displays. It is just a matter of luck.
This would mean that nobody is safe, even people that have had their LCD replaced already.
derickeys

Post by derickeys »

The worst thing is you cant even sell it with this kind of issue.. Good machine but a total waste of money on my part or rather on my Juno's Serial number.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

fair to say its a sad end to a great machine
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

the bad thing is that if you need some of the juno-g advanced features (like sampling or 16 part performances) there is no alternative in the 1000 EUR zone. There isn't a synth that can do all the things the J-G can do, and it's a pity that Roland did not make a worthy J-G replacement. The Yamaha MOX and Korg M50 are the best alternatives, I could get away with a lower number of parts in a performance, but none of them has sampling, for example. And the MOX6 is a step backward from the MO6 for some things (no faders, no quick patch selection). The policy of manufacturers is clear: we will not make anymore a $1000 workstation that has everyting. The new entry level products are good only for beginners, while expert musicians that need all the features of a modern synth will be forced to buy more expensive products.
eilyab

Post by eilyab »

Mine keeps dying and getting back to life. Is it likely to go forever soon then?!
tompabes

Post by tompabes »

eilyab wrote:Mine keeps dying and getting back to life. Is it likely to go forever soon then?!
Probably. Make a backup of all your work.
fakher

Post by fakher »

My 2nd LCD also started flickering earlier this month. It typically used to come back after a while, but today it just didn't come back -- exactly top right quarter is visible -- rest is dead. I don't know if they would replace the display once again. Last year I went to a their authorized center close by and they replaced the display free of cost -- it worked perfectly well for almost a year, then it died -- the same way it did the first time. I thought Roland had resolved the design/manufacturing defect, and replaced it with more reliable on, but alas-- it is exactly as bad as the first one. I don't know what to do next. Last year I became very impressed with their free service and became a loyal Roland customer -- bough lot of Cakewalk software and other accessories -- but all of my dreams are shattered once again -- the same problem struck back.

I hope they will listen to us (the Juno-G victims) and give us some upgrade path, with discounted replace with a better model, because as it is no one will buy it for a dime.
DOM!

Post by DOM! »

I plan on getting my screen fixed and when I find an X6 I will sell my Juno G. I am really kind of annoyed at Roland.. Bought a Juno D and the keys kept dieing now the G is giving my problems! I need to get rid of both!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

DOM! wrote:I plan on getting my screen fixed and when I find an X6 I will sell my Juno G. I am really kind of annoyed at Roland.. Bought a Juno D and the keys kept dieing now the G is giving my problems! I need to get rid of both!
Maybe you can get a Xa even cheaper than the X... ;-)
mb

Post by mb »

How do you know it's not your postal service dropping the packages? I've had my Juno-G for over two years with no problems.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

It would be quite a conspiracy theory to imagine that postal worker, music store employees and fedex go around dropping all the Juno G boxes they can find ....lol
mb wrote:How do you know it's not your postal service dropping the packages? I've had my Juno-G for over two years with no problems.
derickeys

Post by derickeys »

Im starting to think that it is not the LCD that has the problem. If it happened again in my 2nd LCD then just maybe, it could be some chips affecting the LCD. Im doubting that if i try to get my LCD replaced again, exactly the same thing will happen after 1 1/2 years.
jyothish

Post by jyothish »

I had the same problem and communicated with Roland. They say that the built in LCD had this problem when they released Juno G and a new version is available now. I still am in touch with them to know how to distinguish it from the earlier version to ensure that our service center replaces the module with this new version.
If the LCD module is replaced with earlier version, then the problem is bound to recur after about 1 year.
sky5031

Post by sky5031 »

tompabes wrote:This is really really BAD! Our assumption was that Roland had identified and fixed the LCD problem, so that the "second generation" of LCD would last without problems...
There are 2 possibilities: the first is that you got a bad display even when you replaced the first one, the second is that Roland did not fix anything and all the LCDs that have been replaced have a risk of failure equal to the first batch of displays. It is just a matter of luck.
This would mean that nobody is safe, even people that have had their LCD replaced already.

I feel for you too, we have two Roland juno g's in my church ,,we just repaired the first one with
a display problem, and this Sunday the second has failed for the same reason. These units are 6 months
apart in purchase time, serial numbers by 1500 numbers. I've been on the phone with Roland twice today
and help theres not. When I questioned the support rep about now this second failure for same common problem he didnt have a answer but would you like to place a order. In 1983 IBM hashed up about a problem with there PS-model 2's having a focus problem with their monitors, it wasnt until a letter was sent to PC
magazine and they did a article about this model and asked the public to answer back if they were seeing this problem and go to their web site and reply. PC mag fine out it was more than just random cases.. IBM finally admitted the quality issue and did a recall no charge repair. I just wondering how many of you
are seeing this problem in number like we have with both our Roland Juno "g". I tried to get information from Roland,,but Roland will no longer supply service manuals for sale I've been told so to replace this with something that works may take same time..sky5031