Changing patches assigned to mid files

Forum for JUNO-G
Roadman

Changing patches assigned to mid files

Post by Roadman »

Recently just started using mid file player a spart of live set up - using some standard purchased midi files, but want to know how I can assign altrnative patches to tracks, rather than the default GM sounds that are currently assigned. Tried just changing them in the performance, and resaving the midi file, but never takes the changes. Anybody know how you can do this?
marczellm

Re: Changing patches assigned to mid files

Post by marczellm »

I have two ideas, I'm not sure.

1. In Song view try to change the patches that are displayed next to the tracks. (Not in Performance view.)

2. This will probably work.

- Download the JUNO-G Patch Script file for SONAR from http://www.rolandus.com/support/patch_script_builder/
- Connect the JUNO via USB in MIDI mode.
- Start SONAR. Load the MIDI file. Select the Juno as MIDI Output for all tracks.
- In "Options/Instruments" select all channels for Juno (with holding down Shift). Click "Define". Click "Import". Select the file you downloaded. Now you can assign the Juno patches, with their names displayed, to the tracks.
Save the MIDI file and load it into the Juno.
arvinsanjuan

Post by arvinsanjuan »

There must have been program change commands at the beginning of your midi file. If there are, even if you customize your performance patches, once the song is played, the program change commands will revert to what are assigned on the midi file. It's either you remove these commands or simply set the G to ignore it.

On either Patch Play, Perform Play or Part Mixer screen, press EDIT[MENU] -> F3[MIDI] -> F3[RX], set "Receive Program Change" to OFF.
Mystic38

Post by Mystic38 »

+1
arvinsanjuan wrote:There must have been program change commands at the beginning of your midi file. If there are, even if you customize your performance patches, once the song is played, the program change commands will revert to what are assigned on the midi file. It's either you remove these commands or simply set the G to ignore it.

On either Patch Play, Perform Play or Part Mixer screen, press EDIT[MENU] -> F3[MIDI] -> F3[RX], set "Receive Program Change" to OFF.
Roadman

Post by Roadman »

Thanks for previous info, I worked it out, and have simply removed all the SMF patch change info, and saved in roland format, which then keps all the patches you have assigned when you save. Great, been using them live for 6 months, works great.
next issue! I want to creat some medleys of sorts, and will therfore have to have patch/tempo changes between each section. Using previous method, you end up with the same patches all the way through the full medley (or the last one you had set when you saves the file) - I assume you need to insert patch changes and tempo change at the beginning of each section, but how do you do that?