LCD screen to PC/Laptop?

Forum for JUNO-G
jimdunlop

LCD screen to PC/Laptop?

Post by jimdunlop »

Hi folks, first post so be gentle!

My Juno G's screen is whacked like so many others.

Its probably been asked on here before, (but I couldnt find it) so can the Juno G be connected up to a laptop just to see what the screen shows? IE the basic stuff?

I know theres editing software etc for the pcs but thats not what I'm after.

I also have a hunch that the fault is not in the LCD screens themselves, due to the weird mirror image type graphics and split screen images its showing.

Had a Jw50 for about 15 years and for an old fashioned guy like myself it was ideal.
Then it went silent.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Mystic38

Re: LCD screen to PC/Laptop?

Post by Mystic38 »

There is no video output to mirror the display contents.. You can buy the display module from Roland tho.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

The service order for my Juno included a new LCD and it's worked ever since.

Sorry to hear about your JW, maybe there is still hope for them both.
jimdunlop

Post by jimdunlop »

Thanks for the replies, and encouragement!

I guess I'll end up buying the LCD screen.
jyothish

Post by jyothish »

Hi
Roland is giving free re-placement for their faulty displays. They acknowledge the problem as genuine for first lot of JunoG's. In my case, the warranty was over but still Roland Us agreed for free replacement part, waiver of service charge and freight charges back to me from their service centre. Only bottlenecking in my case is freight charges from my place to US is more than a Juno G price. Hence now I'm trying with my local service centre who partially have agreed now after seeing the response from US.
Please check the problem is the generic problem of 'dancing/ bouncing / mirroring of display and then vanishing act of it ( many videos are in youtube - if you type Juno G display problem). If so pl. contact Roland Support from their official web site (you need to register with your e-mail Id and then go to e-mail support link)
Best of luck
with reg
albertodream

Post by albertodream »

Roland is NOT giving free re-placement for their faulty displays. Maybe Roland US, but in Spain in the local service they charged me for the display and for the labour.
sky5031

Post by sky5031 »

Roland made in china Juno G had a quality supplier problem, We have two of these keyboards at my church and both of them go out. The first one I replaced the display ($131.00) from Roland with there new revision "a"
replacement, worked,, displays fine. within about 5 weeks the second went out on the other keyboard..well
thought about ordering a second display from Roland,,still had the old display from the first one,,thought I'd
give it a try in the second one,,guess what it worked! I then looked at the cable on both of these displays and
found a quality issue with the cable..when the company in China pushes the cable in the socket next to the
display they are causing the contact fingers to become de-laminated from the ridged plastic backing
and peeling back when pushed into the connector,,what we see in the start of faded display or no display
in this case. I peeled back the contact on the second display and wiped a real small amount of super glue
under it and now it works just like it did before. I looked at the first display and it has the same problem
de-laminated contacts, If anyone out there is having this display problem look at the contact terminal on the
flex cable and see if they arent peeled back before you replace,,oh the first keyboard had the faded /half screen effect fyi-sky5031
jimdunlop

Post by jimdunlop »

Thank you very much againfor your encouraging replies, and apologies for not responding sooner. (I had not enabled reply notification.)

I will certainly check out the cable to lcd screen.
freydux08

Post by freydux08 »

sky5031 wrote:Roland made in china Juno G had a quality supplier problem, We have two of these keyboards at my church and both of them go out. The first one I replaced the display ($131.00) from Roland with there new revision "a"
replacement, worked,, displays fine. within about 5 weeks the second went out on the other keyboard..well
thought about ordering a second display from Roland,,still had the old display from the first one,,thought I'd
give it a try in the second one,,guess what it worked! I then looked at the cable on both of these displays and
found a quality issue with the cable..when the company in China pushes the cable in the socket next to the
display they are causing the contact fingers to become de-laminated from the ridged plastic backing
and peeling back when pushed into the connector,,what we see in the start of faded display or no display
in this case. I peeled back the contact on the second display and wiped a real small amount of super glue
under it and now it works just like it did before. I looked at the first display and it has the same problem
de-laminated contacts, If anyone out there is having this display problem look at the contact terminal on the
flex cable and see if they arent peeled back before you replace,,oh the first keyboard had the faded /half screen effect fyi-sky5031
sky5031 - This is excellent feedback!

I, like so many of you other Juno-G owners, really want to love this machine. And, like so many others, the only thing keeping me from fully investing my time over the full learning curve are these screen problems.

I have now owned my Juno-G since Sep. 30, 2011 and have until Oct. 28, 2011 to return it on a money-back guarantee from the shop I bought it from. In the 2 weeks or so I have had it, I have already experienced the split screen issues twice. Both times, it has mysteriously corrected itself and I'm worried this will eventually go out.

sky5031, you've had one of the best replies to this topic I have yet seen. i.e. a Concrete something you can do / check and possibly fix or modify in your own home or studio without aid of a repair center or replacement screen. That said, would it be possible for you to post pictures outlining the contact peeling you were seeing and the fix you applied? I know that's asking a lot if you already have the boards back up and running, but I think it would really benefit everyone on the forum to share.

Thanks in advance!
jimdunlop

Post by jimdunlop »

Before you decide to go ahead with the purchase, why not contact Roland and seek a written warranty that if the display goes faulty that they will repair or replace the machine?

If they cant guarantee the quality of the machines' display then buy something else.

Its a great machine but its worth nothing if you have no display and no comeback- fine if you feel like shelling out big bucks every couple of years for a new screen- because it looks like replacement screen are also failing for some people now.

I've had another look at my machine since, and saw the "extra" connection that the poster spoke of. If I understand correctly, this connection is not on the new lcd screen cables.

I also had a look at the flat ribbon type connecting cables. I checked one visually and decided that it is parallel the whole length, so I flipped it over fully and screen works OK. Probably for another few hours.

I have also noticed that if I leave the keyboard on, with full brightness up it stays ok.
But if I actually start pressing buttons things start going funny.

What I'd really like to know is has anyone ever tried hooking up a different LCD separate screen?
Do other monochrome LCD screens have the same amount of connectors to the one in this.
Does anyone have a brother/sister who is an electronics genius????!!!!!!!!
sky5031

Post by sky5031 »

A little FYI for all , I am a BSEE and keyboardist also, I had Roland blow alot smoke screen on this display
problem they have, the company that mfg'r this display for Roland is: International Display works /China
part number: 5485SGPABNC-XXXX-X (XX ARE DATE CODES OF MGFR) the last rev change stands at (Rev -c)
so if anyone does order a display from Roland specify this rev, they may try to get rid of old stock which may be part of a defective lot that has been seen in many of the Juno's. failures , hence the reason for the repeat failure one of our member has seen already again. If any of you replace a display please post the
information that appears on the white or silver back of the display here on Roland clan.. To answer a
question about a replacement display, Yes I am looking into a replacement or a interface to replace the
display with a small monitor. There are two types of Juno display setups: one the cable from the display
goes directly to the voice board, the second has a small 1x1.5 inch adapter board the first goes to the display and then a second cable goes to the voice board. I will post pictures of the problems with the peel
back of the display cable and the differences between the units, as well as pictures on how to remove and
replace this display. Someone asked something about a loose pots on the control side. There is a easy way to tighten up this loose fit shaft and restore the tight feel they once had, will post pictures\procedure.
If any of you member have one for those Jv keyboards with the melting glue,,got a fit for that witout having
to buy a new keybd array..
Re-Member

Post by Re-Member »

Still holding off on buying the Juno G till this is resolved, which is a shame.

This reminds me of the problem people had with the MC-505 Groovebox, but that was actually resolved. I don't know if Roland actually addressed the screen problem themselves, but a some user found a supply of replacement screens and connectors that completely fixed the issue. You actually had to cut the inside frame to make the replacement screens fit, but five years later, my MC-505 is still working perfectly.
jimdunlop

Post by jimdunlop »

sky5031 wrote:A little FYI for all , I am a BSEE and keyboardist also, I had Roland blow alot smoke screen on this display
problem they have, the company that mfg'r this display for Roland is: International Display works /China
part number: 5485SGPABNC-XXXX-X (XX ARE DATE CODES OF MGFR) the last rev change stands at (Rev -c)
so if anyone does order a display from Roland specify this rev, they may try to get rid of old stock which may be part of a defective lot that has been seen in many of the Juno's. failures , hence the reason for the repeat failure one of our member has seen already again. If any of you replace a display please post the
information that appears on the white or silver back of the display here on Roland clan.. To answer a
question about a replacement display, Yes I am looking into a replacement or a interface to replace the
display with a small monitor. There are two types of Juno display setups: one the cable from the display
goes directly to the voice board, the second has a small 1x1.5 inch adapter board the first goes to the display and then a second cable goes to the voice board. I will post pictures of the problems with the peel
back of the display cable and the differences between the units, as well as pictures on how to remove and
replace this display. Someone asked something about a loose pots on the control side. There is a easy way to tighten up this loose fit shaft and restore the tight feel they once had, will post pictures\procedure.
If any of you member have one for those Jv keyboards with the melting glue,,got a fit for that witout having
to buy a new keybd array..
Thanks for that information. Its encouraging about the possibility of connecting it to an external display.
Keep up the good work!