Man this thing is hard to learn!!

Forum for JUNO-G
flyingace

Man this thing is hard to learn!!

Post by flyingace »

I was really hoping it would be a little more intuitive. I realize that the Juno G is complex and does many many things...Those dang roland video guys make it all look so easy.

There seems to be about (exaggerating I know) 100 steps to do the most basic things. I've read and re-read the manual with the keyboard in front of me and without. I'm still having a hard time getting around.

So I ordered the DVD, think it will help? does it help? Should I have upped the extra cash for the next model up or is this to be expected from this level of workstation no matter what the manufacturer or cost.

I know that purchasing my Korg SV-1 was a no brainer now, I never even read the manual and play the heck out of that thing constantly. Shame they weren't/aren't more popular or supported by korg, they are the easiest keyboards to use on the market and sound GREAT!

So I suppose I'm spoiled by that, but I know that the JG can do great things for me, I've only had it a week, some say it takes quite a while to figure out, what was your experience?

Thanks in advance!
marczellm

Re: Man this thing is hard to learn!!

Post by marczellm »

In my experience I ran through the manual once, started playing, then when I wanted to program something I looked it up and read the details. I had no problem understanding how the basic things work. Pages 17-18 are very useful. Be sure to read the Troubleshooting section when there's a problem. For example you have to switch USB mode to Storage if you want to use the MIDI In and Out connectors.
i008580

Post by i008580 »

Dunno what you're trying to do, but for me it was just time. It's the concepts of the G that have been most challenging for me. Patch settings and how they apply when using them in performances, understanding the controller assignments (dbeam, pitch/mod stick), and, man, I still am at a loss as to how the effect routing works, especially in performance mode. I never could read a schematic.

But whenever I think I have painted myself into a corner, some patience, focus and determination to read and experiment get me through. My most recent frustration ended when I finally understood that the G communicates with itself via midi channels. So when using off board gear over midi, you have to understand the limitations (specifically, two parts in a performance set to the same midi channel share the same settings for some parameter settings. so you can't have 2 parts in a performance set to midi ch 1 and have one of them split assigned to one part of the keybed and the other another part of the keybed, for example). Aside from just figuring out this particular problem, it was a revelation to understand how the product actually works, and informs what I do in the future.

Let us know what you're doing specifically, and maybe we can help. I've learned a lot over the last couple of months.

The "next step up", assuming you mean the Gi, is not a "better version" or evolution of the G. It's a completely different product (not saying it's not good, Artemiy!). For me, having a 16 track sequencer and performance mode in which I can layer and split 16 different parts/patches is more valuable than what the Gi brings to the party.
jyothish

Post by jyothish »

Juno G is a WORK STATION, not a DIGITAL KEYBOARD. I found JG not a very difficult machine, unless for its 'dancing' LCD screen. Those who have not experienced with making new patches from tones; better go for Expansion Cards for required Patches.
Those who have experience with Roland XP 60 or 30 are going to find it very easy. Once your concept is clear about how Patch is made using Tones, routing of effects, applying effects in Patch and Performance mode (both are entirely different) things are going to be easy. Don't worry. More days you spend with this machine, you are going to learn and one day everything would be at your finger tips.
Sequencer is similar to any other sequencer unless you mess up with the Performance and Song saving sequence.
If you have a specific question/ problem 'How do I'; I shall try to help you.
flyingace

Post by flyingace »

Thanks All!! Great help and advice. The DVD is a wonderful thing, its really helping me understand how this machine works. I think, coming from a primarily guitarist background and the last time I used keyboards it was the Juno 106 and an Ensoniq Mirage, it's just a matter of getting in the right frame of mind. I'm also spoiled by working in graphic arts for 20+ years on Macintoshs and wish everything was as easy to figure out as apple products were. These keyboard manufacturers could really learn a lot of apple about OS interfaces and navigation.

IF I encounter something that I can't find in search, I will post as "how do it?" thanks!
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

The DVD helped me out too, in the beginning.

My best advice is to get into the Pro Edit screens ASAP. Scroll up and down every one a thousand times and they should start to become familiar. Everything is right there; the only really hidden stuff is in the v2.0 upgrade and that has to do with how Roland bundled sampling on Channel 10.

Holding shift also uncovers extra menus and there are some undocumented shift-key combinations I can't recall off the top of my head.

There's a lot you can do, but all depends on what your goal is.

Take it easy and enjoy. :D
MonoTim

Post by MonoTim »

I'm a little late in responding but my 2 cents here, the DVD is fantastic, David Wills does an excellent job of pushing you through from the very basics ("turn it on"...) to showing you advanced features and encouraging you to explore it beyond the essentials, obviously a video with ALL the things a Juno G can do would take 7-8 hours or longer.

I love my Juno-G, I'm a hobbyist, I never took formal piano lessons but just playing around and looking at the clock "dang it's 2am!" so much fun you lose track of time. I'm fortunate that Roland's US HQ / Main repair facility is a 30 minute drive away here in Los Angeles, and the ladies and gents over there did a great job on my LCD recall (so far).

The huge manual btw is available via PDF form , and searchable (Apple's included program called "Preview", a PDF create/reader program is one of the reasons why Apple has won over former PC loyalists)
synthobob

Post by synthobob »

The basics are really difficult- just setting up to record takes a bunch of steps, and most screens are NOT self-explanatory at all. But the more advanced stuff is really intuitive which seems backwards. Seems like it's only the basics which are hard...
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

the more you play with it the easier it gets.i found just time and a little patience does wonders,a bit like being a doctor,lol.as i pull my last grey hair from my head.