loading parts of a actual song. Still stuck..

Forum for JUNO-G
gxr

loading parts of a actual song. Still stuck..

Post by gxr »

Here is my use case..
In the middle of a performance, I am trying to include some music from an original piece.
I have ripped the portions of the song into an mp3. Wht's next? How can I load this into the Roland (as midi?) and play it during the performance?

Manual confuses me with loading songs, samples, audio phrases, etc. Even if someone can point me to the actual page in the manual that can help me do this, that should be enough.

gxr
gxr

Re: loading parts of a actual song. Still stuck..

Post by gxr »

Ok, I looked at the micro manual (Page 10) and atleast got the song into the Juno G. Next challenge is to know how to use this in a performance. I am able to preview this, but dont know how this can be assigned to something where I can play it.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

If you've updated to ver 2.0 you can assign samples to the pads below the screen.

How many parts are there? With the above you would be limited to 12 (6 pads x 2 screens).

You could also assign the samples to a Rhythm Kit. Although a little less flexible to implement; you loose global access while you gain a little more control. The pads you might also find a problem as to keep them sustained you'll have to loop. Still, depending on the length you might have to hold down a key too.

Hope that helps get you pointed in the right direction(s). The manual isn't much help in making creative decisions.
gxr

Post by gxr »

I just have one part. I see that in the sample list. What I am now struggling with is - How do I quickly switch between this sample and the actual patch I am playing?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

The quickest/easiest way to trigger a sample is to use the pads in version 2 update.

From the Sample List:
Select your sample
Shift - > To Pad
Select Pad #

to enable Sample Pad Mode from the Patch or Performance screen, hit Shift and Rhythm(far left).

If you haven't installed version 2 yet, you can download it from Roland US.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... ductId=756

I'm not sure if the manual is included, so you might have to do a search, or reply back here and I'll dig up the pdf.

Enjoy.
gxr

Post by gxr »

Ok, I got the sample loaded to one of the banks. But...

Is there a way to loop what I have in the sample?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Yes, definitely.

First, make sure your sample Loop Mode is set to FWD.

Audio - List - Select Sample - Edit - Loop Mode = FWD

That will make the sample loop when you play it on pads or keys.

If you want the loop to hold once you are in Sample Pad Mode, first hit "Part Select" to enter loop mode and choose a pad or any combination to play. You'll see the pad(s) flashing and the sample will repeat ad-infinitum.

A pretty simple/great way to build up and break down kits, everything front and center.
gxr

Post by gxr »

And (OK, I am asking for too much..)

the loop needs to be in the background and I want to change to a different patch and play a different instrument...

Here is my use case:

1. I am using a sample (It's in one the banks now.. its like a bell sound) and I need the sound to be repeated like a beat and this continues during my song
2. While 1. is happening in the background, i change to a different patch in my bank and play that.
3. I would like to stop what I created in Step 1. at any time in some simple manner

"Audio - List - Select Sample - Edit - Loop Mode = FWD" => I could get upto select sample, but couldnt do Edit loop mode. Where is it? I will keep looking, but If I am missing something basic (which I think I do), please point out
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Sample Edit Screen - 4th parameter from the Top = Loop Mode -> FWD

Once you get it looping, change your Patch or Performance or Part, the pads will stay on top and not miss a beat. The only thing you can't do is switch between Patch/Performance mode as the engine 'reloads'.

Special Note: if you decide to go the Performance mode route, your samples will be affected by FX/Filters/Etc. on Channel 10. The pads are actually loaded into the nether regions there. Of course, this can be an advantage offering more control.
gxr

Post by gxr »

Works great! thank you so much.
Now, If I turn off the Roland and turn it back on, the sample that is assigned to the pad is gone. is that the expected behavior? is there a way to persist the setting I just made?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I don't think it's possible. After testing some things I've found that every time you enter sample pad mode the system overwrites the key assignments as listed below. By default, it consecutively assigns the preset samples 1,2,3...etc. to the corresponding keys/pads. After you've manually assigned a sample to a pad that will be recalled instead.

Since this function lives above the 'normal' operation it does allow the pads to persist across performances and patches, but there is no functionality to save that I've seen. It could be worse, they could blank everytime you accidently jog the dial. ;-)

A0 = Pad 1
Bb0 = Pad 2
B0 = Pad 3
C1 = Pad 4
C#1 = Pad 5
D1 = Pad 6
Eb1 = Pad 7

G#7 = Pad 8
A7 = Pad 9
Bb7 = Pad 10
B7 = Pad 11
C8 = Pad 12

PS. You're quite welcome, I'm glad everything worked for you so far. I'm learning new things here too. Enjoy!