Reason 5.0 MIDI HELP!

Forum for JUNO-G
stden1cm

Reason 5.0 MIDI HELP!

Post by stden1cm »

Hey all-
I had a Fantom x6 for about 4 years and I got really familiar with making 8, or 16 measure loops and using various and what not, using effects and creating some pretty cool stuff. Long story short, I had no REAL idea how much potential these machines have and I had to get rid of it, but was lucky enough to get ahold of my Juno! I need some help figuring out what is going on here. I have read the workshops, manuals (for editor and librarian) read the help sections in Reason 5.0, and I am SO LOST NOW.

I want to utilize both the patches/features of reason, and also utilize my JUNO! I have been trying to do my research on all of the options and ways to use MIDI, but I am just getting stuck. Also, I'd like to take the tracks I have made on my juno (in their 8 or 16 measure loops) and arrange/ play with them on reason.. is this hard to do? I have managed to save the tracks as SMF. files and get the tracks to show up on my cpu, and open them in reason- but there is just the midi signals, and none of the sounds from my juno.

I know this is a vague cry for help- but I feel like If I am able to get myself this far, I should be fine with a little nudge in the right direction!

Thanks to all who decide to try and help me!
Maarkr

Re: Reason 5.0 MIDI HELP!

Post by Maarkr »

Unfortunately, Reason does not support MIDI out, so you won't be able to send midi to play thru any attached keyboard. You can search on the reason site for MIDI out, and you'll find many posts on the subject, including a post where people are asking for that feature to be included in Reason... but they are not too keen on doing it, since they just came out with Reason 6 and no MIDI out. Don't know if they just want you to use their sounds or if it's a programming thing. You should be able to export your tracks as audio and import that into Reason, or save midi tracks and use them in Reason (at least in Reason 6).
dbijoux

Re: Reason 5.0 MIDI HELP!

Post by dbijoux »

I believe "Sample, Sample, Sample" is the name of the game.

Reason likes being it's own little self-contained production environment. I've never been keen on it as I'd much rather play with real cables, but that said - Rewire the beast into your DAW and you've got the best of both worlds.