Progression

Forum for JUNO-G
Maarkr

Progression

Post by Maarkr »

I like many features of the Juno and am feeling more comfortable building sounds, performances, etc after owning it for a few months. Is the Fantom X6 a natural progression for upgrading to something with more features/sounds/etc that has a similar programming system and learning curve?
marczellm

Re: Progression

Post by marczellm »

Hi,

From what I know, the Juno-G is a downgraded version of the Fantom-X. That is, they started with the X, took out a lot of things, downgraded the audio quality, put in in a different casing and released it as the Juno-G. Which means that if you buy a Fantom-X, a lot of things and functions and sounds will be familiar, except it will sound much better and will have more abilities.

But.

The Fantom-G is already out since 2008, and it is supposed to be much more powerful than the X. Better sound quality, more memory, more functions etc. I don't know anything about the prices. I guess you can find your way around quickly with the controls.

So yes, the Fantom-X is in every ways better than the Juno-G (except portability, of course), but the Fantom-G must be even better.

Personally, I have to add that IMO the X6 has the best looks :).
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I'd say if you needed 8 tracks of audio and prefered a better semi-weighted keyboard or maybe the to the pads right (I really do not use the pads for playing but for inputting data for editIng or naming files, but I do like the lights, cool.) I have both, I use the Fantom for writing and Juno-G for playing out.
Maarkr

Post by Maarkr »

prices are appx, depending on sources
Used Juno-G $500-800
Use Fantom X6 $800-1200
Used Fantom G6 $1600-2000 New $3000

that's why the X6 is next in line, unless I get a bunch on money thrown at me.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Do you have any other synths? If not, maybe you could get a VA type synth to add different color and tone to what you have. The Juno-G and Fantoms sounds very close, if not the same. Maybe adding something like a Gaia, SH-201, or maybe even a Microkorg. They are not too expensive new and pretty inexpensive used. You could MIDI another synth to the Juno-G. Just a suggestion.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

It's a natural progression. Juno-G -> Fantom X

The FG is it's own little demon, if you read the forum, many would rather have their X.

Two selling points of X over Juno, IMO.

1) Balanced/Digital Outs
2) Multisampled Piano (instruments)
3) 73/88 keys ftw

Soundwise, as others said, I'm also not sure there is a big enough difference. Juno is underrated. Sequencer wise, pad wise, yes, of course they are better on X, but secondary for me. The Juno-G suffices as a scratchpad and from there the DAW takes center stage.

I have to agree with Synthtron, unless your needs and those points above line up enough to justify the upgrade, putting your money into another piece of hardware/software may be a better way to go. At some point tho, a better keybed and/or midi-controller setup would be certainly be nice.

Enjoy.
Maarkr

Post by Maarkr »

i've had a Korg microKontrol for years... nice as a basic controller for most of my DAW work, then I owned a Yamaha MM6, but that was obviously lacking which is why i got the JunoG, which suits my current needs and budget, except I do use a Korg Micro Sampler on the second tier to easily build/play the unique samples and live fx. The whole purpose of the post is to see if the FX is an easy to learn upgrade if something happens to my J-G. That would be all I could afford. If I had more $, I'd love to get a Nord or FG.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Maarkr

Post by Maarkr »

no i didn't... just wanted opinions, to see if anyone has gone that route. thanks