Why repair G instead of buying new M50?

Forum for JUNO-G
MegaJon

Why repair G instead of buying new M50?

Post by MegaJon »

Very unhappy JUNO's two faces right now. Please tell me why I should spend $300 to (maybe) fix the screen on my Juno G instead of tossing it and starting over with a different board? Roland doesn't seem to care which I chose and that, more than anything, has pushed me toward a different company. I'm not trying to start another thread rehashing the display issue or the pros and cons of their customer service. Instead, I'm looking to be reminded me why I chose the G over the M50 in the first place.
albertodream

Re: Why repair G instead of buying new M50?

Post by albertodream »

I considered 4 reasons:
- 128 notes polyphony,
- sampler,
- a better keyboard
- SRX slot

I've repaired the screen more than a year ago, and it worked fine. No sign of malfunction since then.
Talk with Roland and maybe they'll repair it for less money. In some cases the repair is offered for free.

But the m50 it's a good synth too. If you don't need the sampler it's a very good alternative.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Considering the Juno-G is very difficult to use without an LCD, if you don't repair it then you would be out more like $800-1000; unless you could find someone to buy it. If you look at it that way, it'd almost be like you spent $2000 on a 61-key M50. You'd already have the Juno-G expansion pack, but I don't know how well the M50 would handle that.

If you are outside the states, I'd suggest ordering a new LCD and replacing it yourself. No soldering required.

If you are here in the US, call Roland, it's covered.
MegaJon

Post by MegaJon »

I am seriously considering the self repair, I don't gain anything by having them do it - no warranty on the work to speak of (90 days) and it costs more than the part in labor so I could botch it the first go round and still end up spending less. I swapped a lot of PC and rack components over the years so I'm not afraid to delve in, I just know i need to go slowly.

The point about paying $2k for the M50 was well made, I hadn't thought about it quite like that. I have talked to Roland twice about this and they wont replace the part becuase I didn't purchase the juno new. Our conversation was about me shipping the board to them, and paying them to do the work, not about me getting a free repair. I was told that if I had bought the board new they would replace the part at no charge but becuase I bought it used the failure was not their problem. That really shocked me. Its obviously a bad part and I wasn't looking for a handout, I was still going to be out a couple hundred dollars becuase of their faulty spec, but what an insult.

If I believed that replacing the screen would solve the problem then I'd do it and just not buy another product from them, but I keep finding stories of them still failing, Roland says they still fail, the service place near me says they still fail, so, I posted at the clan, hoping that somebody loved the Juno enough to say something good about it.

That's really why I posted. Everywhere else on the net people bash Roland and the Juno G. I was hoping somebody here still liked it enough to say, "Dude, you should totally fix it."

Thanks for the responses.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

What did you end up doing? If you like the Juno-G sounds I would say fix it. I have not attempted a display repair or replacement but if it required no soldering I would do it.
The most I have done was desolder an old battery from my Juno-106 and installed a battery holder so I would never have to solder a battery on the board again. If the display is some kind of ribbon attached that snaps on it should be no big deal.