Not sending MIDI controller signals

Forum for JUNO-G
roed

Not sending MIDI controller signals

Post by roed »

I am trying to do a setup with Mainstage but I cannot get the Juno-G to send controller signals via MIDI eg. the volume fader and the 4 sliders. The pitchbender works fine!
I can see in Mainstage that no signal is detected when I move the faders so the problem must be the Juno sending and not Mainstage recieving. Is it possible to turn only the faders and knops on and off in the MIDI setup? I have tried almost every possible combination and are beginning to think that this is just not possible :-(

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
Blues4dog

Re: Not sending MIDI controller signals

Post by Blues4dog »

You are quite right Michael. It is just not possible. The sliders do not send midi information. They are only for the on board audio recorder. The Cutoff and Res knobs will only send CC 74 and 71 in performance mode on the selected channel. The ADSR knobs send nothing. All knobs in patch mode send sysex. PB, MOD and D beam send midi. External control from pedals send midi. I use an EV5 pedal into the control input set to aftertouch.

It is a rather annoying setup which could have been much better on an otherwise great instrument IMHO.

I use a controller kbd to 'midi in' on the Juno G then out via USB set to soft through to Mainstage. Then run Mainstage audio output to the Juno G audio input. With Juno G outputs to the PA I have control of Mainstage volume with the audio input slider on the Juno G and have all the Mainstage sounds plus the Juno G sounds available. It's not the way I originally wanted to set up but it works quite well. One big advantage is the fact that if Mainstage crashes, (and it does), I still have one functional board in a live situation.

Another option if you only want to use the Juno G would be to add a USB controller such as the Korg Nano Kontrol. Cheap and effective.

Hope my babbling is decipherable.

Cheers

B4D
roed

Post by roed »

Thanks for your "babbling" B4D :-) My thoughts were right then and I have to go another way with the Juno-G.
Sounds like a good solution to use another device to trigger those things I hopped the Juno-G could do for me.
Thanks again for your response!

Michael
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

No problem. Happy to help a fellow Juno G / Mainstage user.
kulabocca

Post by kulabocca »

I stumbled across this forum in hopes of finding a way to map my juno-g to mainstage. I think I understand that this just can't be done, but can I use a secondary controller to map faders and knobs? Can those mapped paths manipulate patches I'm playing on my Juno-G?

Sorry if that sounds confusing. I'm scrambling to learn Mainstage as my LCD screen on my juno bit the dust and I needed a solution to keep playing shows I have coming up. It's a pretty intuitive program, but it really bums me out that I cannot use my keyboard to map settings. That was one of reasons I was excited to use Mainstage.