HELP please! Recording Juno-G sounds directly on Macbook...

Forum for JUNO-G
ankhifyouloveisis

HELP please! Recording Juno-G sounds directly on Macbook...

Post by ankhifyouloveisis »

Hello,
I am pretty new to all of this, but I'm really into it and would appreciate some help so much. I have a Roland Juno-G and a Macbook Pro and am trying (at the moment, failing miserably!) to figure out how to record Juno-G sounds DIRECTLY into my laptop, and whether or not I will need an audio interface for this. I have a USB cord and it is connected; the synth works as MIDI to control software instruments (i.e., in Garageband) but I cannot get the actual sounds of the synthesizer to go directly into the computer. I also have a 1/4" trs cord that's going from L(MONO)/1 Output (on the Roland) into the input (microphone) slot on my Mac, but this has not seemed to wield any definitive results yet either. Do I need an actual software program on my laptop to unlock the sounds of the Juno-G? Or do I need to bite the bullet and just buy an audio interface? I can't understand why I can't play it through the USB *or* the line-in/line-out connection, but I'd be very grateful for any help.
** I also have a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer, I don't know if I could use this as some kind of interface, but any help is greatly greatly appreciated!
~ Elizabeth
Blues4dog

Re: HELP please! Recording Juno-G sounds directly on Macbook

Post by Blues4dog »

Your setup should work.
Check all your audio cables,
Your audio settings in Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI setup,
Your input/output and track settings in Garage Band preferences,
It may sound silly but check your volume/mute settings on the synth, the MAC and in Garage Band.
If your 1/4" cord is TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) it may be better in the Juno's 'phones' output transmitting stereo to the MAC.
If it is only TS like a guitar lead, leave it where it is.

You can record without a dedicated interface and can probably get a decent sound using the mixer between the synth and the MAC but an interface will get you better quality.

The USB connection on the Juno will NOT transmit audio. MIDI and data only.

Cheers and hope this helps

B4D