PCMCIA Memory Card issues ...

Forum for JUNO-G
madhtr

PCMCIA Memory Card issues ...

Post by madhtr »

Hi board :)

I've been using roland synths for years, and I am a 15 year IT veteran. I just bought a mint Juno-G and I love it except for one thing.

I've been trying for 6 weeks to get a memory card to work.

The manual calls for either Smartmedia (discontonued) or CompactFlash. No size limits are specified in my manual, although I'm guessing there could be a 2 gig limit due to old fasioned memory adressing.

I ordered a LITEON 4 in 1 PCMCIA adapter that takes MS, SM and SD. My computer only has a slot for SD, so I tried a 2GB SD. no dice.

Someone on a board sugggested that there is a 1G limit, so I ordererd (I can't buy them at microcenter anymore) a 1G SD card to try out. It took a week to get here, still no dice.

I have resolved myself to attempt to order (can't get it at micorcenter anymore) a SmartMedia Card (64MB for about 3 times the price of a 4GB SD, and I'll STILL have to get an adapter to connect it to my PC) ...

My question is this ... before I continue to nickel and dime myself to death on ebay, will 64MB be enough to store another set of performances, patches, etc on? can I order a smaller one?

As an IT pro and an avid synth player, I cannot understand for the life of me why Roland did not incorporate its backup / user memory into USB2, which has been around since like 2000, and just use my laptop's hard drive for firmware updates and extra performances / patches, but that's just me ... Maybe they had a good reason.

Just gettin a lil frustratred here, heh

Thanx! :)
madhtr

Re: PCMCIA Memory Card issues ...

Post by madhtr »

Ok, I nailed it.

For the benefit of the board, here's how :)

I drove my motorcycle an hour and 15 mins to Microcenter, hopin they'd have an old SmartMedia card to fit in my current PCMCIA. They did not. However, they DID have:

(PCMCIA Compact Flash Adapter ... $6.99)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0328797

(SanDisk 2GB Compact Flash Card ... $17.99)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0211155

So for anyone else having this issue, the preceeding worked. I was able upgrade my firmware to V2.0, did a backup of my current live setlist, restored to factory settings, reloaded my setlist, and wala, I'm in business. I can now create a different backup file for each venue I play.

Now, if any of you can list an SD PCMCIA card that works, I'll buy one, and only have to spend $8.00 per 64 performaces, rather than $17.00, heh ;)

Cheers! :)
wave

Post by wave »

Please elaborate a little more about creating a different backup file for each venue you play.

Thanks
wave
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

well my juno g can see 16 gigs worth of transcend cf card into p.c card adapter.works like a dweem.so no 2 gig limit then.