Juno-G screen

Forum for JUNO-G
madhtr

Juno-G screen

Post by madhtr »

I am the 2nd owner of a MINT Juno-G. I have an audition the day after tomorrow, and suddenly my LCD went wacky (found out today is a known issue ... defective part). First, Let me say how I worked around it ...

Use the Juno-G editor on your PC as a temporary work around. Even switching the performances via the PC sent the correct MIDI messages to my virtual rack, driven by an M-Audio Oxygen-61 and a Behringer UMX-610. You can even edit patches and performances. This works for an audition. Live, not so much. SO ...

I call Roland, Roland confirms that they are aware of the defective part (the LCD screen), and if I am ...

(fail) the original owner
(fail) have the receipt from the dealer I bought it from
(iffy) I transport the synth to an "authorized service center"

.... The part will be replaced for free.

PROB ...
- I bought the synth (mint condition) on ebay.
- I have contacted the orignial owner, who may or may not snail mail me the orginal reciept
- Even if i HAVE the orginal receipt, the synth must be delivered to the service center via the orginal owner.
- I have an AUDITION Friday.

NOTE:
I have been buying and playing Roland Synths since I was 18. I have a an originally from the dealer purchased Juno-106 in my studio.

I asked the tech to run the Serial number of my Juno-G to insure that the unit had not been serviced for this particular defective part ... She confirmed that id had not been.

Suggestion to Roland:

Since you will NOT mail the part (for a home repair free of charge, understandable), and since you are obviously tracking each repair by serial number ... Why not replace the originally installed DEFECTIVE part by SERIAL NUMBER, (free of charge) If you are concerned about retaining loyal customers going back to 1986 ....

There you go. A rant mixed with an emergency workaround ;)

<edited for beer and musician's rage induced spelling errors> heh.

Wondering ...
tompabes

Re: Juno-G screen

Post by tompabes »

Unfortunately, I think that your chances are not so good... it all depends on what Roland decides to do.
I presume you live in the U.S., and I don't know what the law says over there about warranty, in Europe you would have the same support of the original owner providing that you have the original purchase receipt, maybe you should gather some info about the warranty laws in your country to see if you have the right to have it fixed, anyway I think that having the purchase receipt is a must.
Just like you, I am a long-term Roland user, I started with a D-50 in 1988 and it still works (I have used it in a live performance last month...), and I've been quite disappointed by the build quality and problems of the Juno-G. The board, anyway, is great in every other aspect. What I can say is that, if repaired correctly, it should work fine. I've had my LCD repaired more or less 3-4 years ago (I can't remember exactly) and have had no problems ever since, with intense usage.
madhtr

Post by madhtr »

Thanks :) yep in in the US I just ordererd the part for about $150. and I agree, aside from factory defects that Roland refuses to make right, I love the synth.
wooperman

Post by wooperman »

I have had good experience with this trick. It probably isnt a fix for people relying on the juno g for live, on the spot set-up. But could save you in a jam. Too simple....let it warm up.
I turn mine on, the screen is 1/2 or 3/4 dead. I leave it on for 10-15 mins, and i notice that when i turn off - then back on, the screen is fine.

I am curious if others have experienced this? I live in Florida. I noticed that I never had problems until winter, when it was cold in my jam room. Once I got the heat going for a few mins, the thing would work.
Now that summer is here, i see it's not a room-temperature thing, but a Juno g temperature thing.
I have taken any scientific data. And my juno screen still occasionally works fine, for no reason at all (imagine)!
srgebel

Post by srgebel »

i too have picked up a juno g in mint condition with lcd problems. i asked for original receipt, no luck.
so i have to spend 150 for the part? and how much to install????
wooperman

Post by wooperman »

Will someone please try my suggestion:
Turn it on and leave it on (even if the screen is messed up).
After 10-15 minutes, turn it off then back on. It fixes my screen, temporarily.
madhtr

Post by madhtr »

K, I have just replaced the screen myself. With one excpetion, I followed these instructions:

http://skeptek.com/2009/12/21/how-to-re ... nd-juno-g/

Where it says, "You need to remove every single screw you see on the bottom of the keyboard.", I found that I did NOT need to remove was the the 5 small screws on the bottom CLOSEST to the edge near the keys. they just mount a small piece of metal to the bottom cover.

Anywayz, about $140 and 1.8 hours later, it works. I've repaired quite a few laptops, so I cann say that this operation was not that difficult, and with a lil patience, anyone can do it.

cheers! :)

PS, wooperman, TY for the suggestion! unfortunately, I did the repair before I read your post, and I can't try it now ... anyone else try it?
madhtr

Post by madhtr »

BTW, if any of you guys do this fix yourself, here's a lil tip on Roland's ZIF connectors (the very THIN ribbon cables you see in the case) ... There are no mechanics involved in these. (on mine anyway). Just pull them out and push them back in. :)
gearHed289

Post by gearHed289 »

My screen went bad almost 4 years ago and I had it replaced at an authorized repair center. A couple of months ago it started going crazy again. Someone mentioned letting it warm up. That doesn't do anything. It can be on for 3 hours and suddenly go goofy. Really sucks when you're on stage and you can't see what patch you're on. I can switch patches from my PK-5 pedals, but that's a minor pain. Anyway, over the weekend, I think I discovered something - it only seems to screw up when I change patches via the wheel. If I change with the inc/dec buttons it seems to be stable. I will report back after this weekend's gig!
gearHed289

Post by gearHed289 »

Well, I've been avoiding the wheel, and while it does seem to keep the screen looking right for much longer than it has been, I still get weirdness. Thanks Roland. :-\
Jive

Post by Jive »

I´ve had the same problem with my screen, everytime on startup it showed only the half, or a part of the screen stucked. (I´ve recognized that all pixels were ok) But i found a way to fix it. I had searched for tips and found a video that shows a bad handy lcd screen (missing pixels and stripes ) They told that the flat cables on the back of the screen are only fixed with high temperature on the board contacts and get loose after a while.

So I had nothing to loose and after a while I managed to get the screen out of my Juno G (there are enough youtube videos of how to change the display) On the back are to flat cables. I just heatened the contact area up with a hot air gun (around 300-350 degrees) for a very short time. After that i pressed on the warm end of the cables with a wood pencil to make a better contact to the board. At least i heatened the whole lcd card on the back of the display (not the Display itself) just a little bit. ( I´ve repaired a graphic chip with contact problems on my laptop nearly the same way). And so after all my display works fine again.

I think that the display itself heats up, and this higher temperature is not good at all for this flat cable contact.
Marcelo2013

Post by Marcelo2013 »

I think the problem is on the lcd, not on the cable. It seems like sooner or later every Juno-G's display will be dead. Hey Roland, what do you do about it? A free-cost recall will be acceptable!
I AM

Post by I AM »

My second lcd died and I traded juno for fantom xa… well, it's whole different story, much better… easier and better to play with… however preset sounds are somewhat dull for my taste, but I rarely use them |:
scienceyblues

Post by scienceyblues »

Hello, I want to share "the solution" for LCD problems, it was right for me and I hope that will be usefull to others, I don't know if it will be a permanent solution but you can try and, comment what happened:

At the same time that you turn on the Juno-G you need to move to left and right the Value Dial in a constantly/fast way; with it the problem dissapeared and return to normal function in my case.

I think that the problem is not the LCD because if it "broken "a while and return to normallity maybe the problem is other component that don't permit that the LCD receive the information in a correct manner; obviously my point of view derived from my experience and is posible that is incorrect.

Try this and give your answer.

Good Luck

Hola a todos, si tienen problema con la pantalla intenta hacer lo que me solucionó el problema; mi pantalla empezó a fallar y al encender mostraba varios tipos de espacios en blanco o en espejo, quiero saber si esto funciona en otros teclados: al momento de encender el juno G yo moví la rueda DIAL de cambio de patches (que está a la derecha de la pantalla LCD) continuamente (al mismo tiempo de encenderlo) y el daño desparecío; obviamente pienso que la falla no está en la LCD sino en otra parte.
scienceyblues

Post by scienceyblues »

I'm sorry, after that I wrote, this my LCD screen fail again, and I try to apply the "solution" and don't function, I will open tonight my Juno and try to repair in any way, if I have a solution I will post it.