Juno-G screen

Forum for JUNO-G
techie

Re: Juno-G screen

Post by techie »

That screen issue makes me so sad. I bought Juno-G in 2007 and really got used to it sounds. I do have Yamaha MOX 6 as well, but after having it for 7 months i realized that Roland workflow, knob layout and waveform sounding is still my favorite.

In 2012 screen problem appeared on mine Juno-G and there is nothing can be done. Ok, i could replace the screen - but that will give me like 2 or 3 years lag before next break down ?

Comparing by options Juno-G is still almost perfect in its semi-pro category - sampling, sequencer, timbrality, large screen and its small weight ! 6.5 kg vs 11kg in Mox is a difference you feel easily.

If Roland would make something like G (i don't consider Gi because of limited editing and lack of sequencer) with modern features like Audio over USB, some more knobs for fast patches editing or programmable step sequencer - i would buy it any day.

Sadly enough there is no sign of something like that happening. Their VR-09 is not workstation-like keyboard, it is nice, but different direction. Erghh.....
wooperman

Post by wooperman »

Ok, please try this...I know I already tried one theory here with the heat/warm up deal. But this one is based more on my observations - similar to the data wheel theory. Today the screen was doing the "half lit" thing.
What I notice when my LCD is working properly is that moving sliders (in the audio section) cause little lines of pixels to move.
So all day my LCD was messed up. Then I thought, maybe if it powered on when the sliders are in the "right" position, then it will affect the LCD response. After having been malfunctioning for almost two days, I powered down, moved the slider, then powered on. It worked for me. I have gone back and tested it 4 times.
In my case, all sliders are down except the far left one. (Dont have juno here for proper name).
I would really like to hear if powering on while sliders are in different positions helps. It works for me now, if you have a gig and no time to repair it may at least be a quick fix.
Report back!
TWSS

Post by TWSS »

I got the Juno G when it first came out. Since then I have had 3 replacement screens, done at no cost as Roland backed up their product. However, the last time I had it fixed I was told "no more free fixes". Of course, now the 4th screen has gone bad too. I have read all about the China Syndrome LCD screens and the replacement screens that will work.... well I think they all suck pretty much. Which is too bad as I really really love this keyboard and don't want to give it up. I have created some songs that I am very pleased with, but can no longer program on the crappy screen. I have read about home fixes, but I doubt those will last either.

Juno G was a great synth/workstation for the money, but I think it's time to let it go....
karop

Post by karop »

Would you know where to get screen for replacement? Is it possible to find out what’s the code and producer of the LCD and get in electronic parts shop?
milosskornik

Post by milosskornik »

Roland Juno G - LCD error. Production of LCD big problem around the world. Screen that produced "cheap labor" for the company Roland. They are not good soldered on the back of some micro components-Bad contact.

Miloš Škorník (Slovakia)
alexdeglialex

Post by alexdeglialex »

Hi everybody

here I'm in the club of lucky owner of Juno G with Ldc fault :(

Today, I observed something VERY STRANGE.

Sometimes my screen works in an quarter of quadrant (as you can see in picture I upload). Anyway, with screen full unworking or partial working (as in picture) the Keyboard works fine in all the function.
But today I observed that sequencer don't work fine! Do not work the recorder, do not work all function you can turn on with function button (F1 from F6 in the front panel, for example, I cannot turn on the function "micro edit" and others). So it means that exist a RELATION AMONG Lcd fault and software/hardware or global function of the Juno.

Another VERY STRANGE happening. In the part of screen when usually appears the measures of song sequenced, instead the usal layout of measures, appear a kind of message error I NEVER SEE BEFORE. You can look by yourself in the attachment.

Any opinion?
Attachments
2013-10-18 20.12.14.jpg
2013-10-18 20.12.14.jpg (685.41 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
alexdeglialex

Post by alexdeglialex »

Great newssss!

After the happening I've described up, I turned off the unit and when I turned on....THE SCREEN WORK FINE!!!

This is a big misteriuos!

Edit 20/10/13

I understand the meaning of the message who appear in sequencer layout. It say "Quick Play". It's a standard function I never knowed before. It allow to play midi file bypassing the temporary area (Ram). So it means that when the display go fail Juno cannot load midi song into the ram. It mean that exist a relation among display fault and Ram! Maybe the fault of display is caused by some corrupted cluster of Ram.