Temporary LCD screen fix

Forum for JUNO-G
wooperman

Temporary LCD screen fix

Post by wooperman »

Hi,
I have tried to post this on the back end of some other threads - but incase people are not seeing this, it works for me. My screen will often be 1/2 to 3/4 dead.

1. Turn on the juno g....leave it on even with the screen missing.
2. After 5 - 10 minutes turn it off then back on.

You may need more time, I have not narrowed down how long it takes to warm up. Every time, this works for me.
Let me know if it works for you please.
Ricoche

Re: Temporary LCD screen fix

Post by Ricoche »

Is this quick fix still working for you? Just curious if you LCD eventually died totally or if it's still 50/50.

Thanks!
wooperman

Post by wooperman »

Hey,
Sorry I took so long - I gave up on anyone trying it.

To answer your question - it fixed it!! OR I should say, I started doing it religiously. Then I just started turning it on regularly. Its been weeks since I had a problem.

What I expect, if my theory is correct - is that once it gets cold again (Florida)....it will start doing it again.

Maybe my problem is unrelated to the real problem, but I think thermal shrinkage and expanding is the cause of my situation. Really weird. I thought it was dead a few weeks ago. But it seems fixed for now.
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

Thanks for the reply!

I actually just bought a used Roland G a few days ago and will take my chances. I live in Japan and we're coming off a hot and humid summer. So far in things are just fine, but with the winter approaching that may change. I try to keep my studio temperature controlled, but we'll see. If the LCD does crash, I'll likely open it up and check out the ribbon connector and a few other things. I'm handy with a soldering iron and do a lot of keyboard repair work, but until that time I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope it lasts. It's fantastic to know that your workaround works when needed. I'll do the same if problems arise. The Roland Juno G is a great little number and VERY convenient for stage use.

Thanks again.

Jim
Jive

Post by Jive »

I´ve had the same problem with my screen, everytime on startup it showed only the half, or a part of the screen stucked. (I´ve recognized that all pixels were ok) But i found a way to fix it. I had searched for tips and found a video that shows a bad handy lcd screen (missing pixels and stripes ) They told that the flat cables on the back of the screen are only fixed with high temperature on the board contacts and get loose after a while.

So I had nothing to loose and after a while I managed to get the screen out of my Juno G (there are enough youtube videos of how to change the display) On the back are to flat cables. I just heatened the contact area up with a hot air gun (around 300-350 degrees) for a very short time. After that i pressed on the warm end of the cables with a wood pencil to make a better contact to the board. At least i heatened the whole lcd card on the back of the display (not the Display itself) just a little bit. ( I´ve repaired a graphic chip with contact problems on my laptop nearly the same way). And so after all my display works fine again.

I think that the display itself heats up, and this higher temperature is not good at all for this flat cable contact.