Am I making things too hard somehow?

Forum for JUNO-G
synthobob

Am I making things too hard somehow?

Post by synthobob »

I got the Juno-G used from a colleague. I love the sounds but for some reason it's just not "doing it" for me, and I don't know why.

Maybe there are shortcuts I don't know about but everything seems so complicated and counter-intuitive on this synth. For instance, bringing the patch FX over to the sequencer- I could NEVER have figured this out on my own without the manual and the tutorial DVD, it's NOT self-explanatory at all. Several other very basic functions are set up this way.

Once you get deeper into the mixing and sequencing it gets way easier- it seems the more advance the function the more self-explanatory it becomes, but the simple stuff is overly complex.

So there it sits- I can't just go over and jam on it cause it takes too long to set things up, find the sounds, etc etc etc.

Here's how I operate: as an "ice breaker" I like to loop a simple part, maybe a synth drone or something, then jam over it on a second sound for a while. This gets me going creatively. The problem is, it takes so long to set the thing up just to get to that point that my spark of energy is spent before I even start.

I can do this same "ice breaker" jam with ease on the Korg Kaossilator- so yes I want to use the Roland as a trumped-up Kaossilator (with infinitely more possibilities and flexibility) This is just one of the thousands of things I know can be done with this truly wonderful instrument- any suggestions how I can make it easier on myself?
synthobob

Re: Am I making things too hard somehow?

Post by synthobob »

Here's an example: I tried to mute the click when recording. There's no self-evident way to do it, nor could I find it in the manual under recording. I stumbled across it on the tutorial DVD, mentioned quick and off-hand.

You have to mute it EVERY TIME, too- it won't stay un-checked.
I AM

Re: Am I making things too hard somehow?

Post by I AM »

hey man! it's quite easy to turn off metronome )) press MENU, then go to SYSTEM -> METRO/SYNC... the first parameter there allows you to choose when metronome will sound... if you want to see the same setting after you turn power off and then on, be sure to press WRITE soft key