Audio output problem - mono only, scratching

Forum for JUNO-G
Oneidasteve

Post by Oneidasteve »

New to me Juno G.

Headphone jack only gives me mono unless I hold the wire 'just right'. Sometimes it works for a while, than reverts to mono - one side only.

Main outputs - board works fine (mono) using either the L or R, but if I use them both - to separate channels on mixe - no output at all.

Any ideas?
PauloF

Re: Audio output problem - mono only, scratching

Post by PauloF »

Oneidasteve wrote:New to me Juno G.

Headphone jack only gives me mono unless I hold the wire 'just right'. Sometimes it works for a while, than reverts to mono - one side only.

Main outputs - board works fine (mono) using either the L or R, but if I use them both - to separate channels on mixe - no output at all.

Any ideas?
What do you mean?
That if you use any of the Outputs alone it gives sound, but if you use them together it doesn't ?
Doesn't make sense!

Can you tell me how are your connections being made?
If you use Headphones do you hear both channels or just one?
Oneidasteve

Post by Oneidasteve »

thanks for the reply. if i run a single line from OutL to mixer input, and OutR to a second mixer input - no sound. Either invividually, sound. Oddly, much stronger output from the OutR than OutL(mono).

Headphone, L ear only unless i wiggle it around - get stereo briefly. Tried 3 headphones...so obviously that jack is damaged.

Is this a soldering repair?
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

not necessarily.are you using a bus mixer or just a mixer for record decks?
MissM

Post by MissM »

Sorry if this sounds daft- I am not very tech savvy.

I thought I was having the same problem!

I've only tested with headphones-
I recently got my 2007 Juno G screen/display replaced by the new warranty addressing that defect , I picked it up from the shop- but unfortunately I did not find my power supply back home for 3 weeks...(the screen issue made it impossible to use for well over 1 year)

tonight- so excited when I finally found the power supply in storage-
but when I powered it on- I had no sound at first when I pressed the keys - (UNLESS I selected "audition" and then I could hear a scratchy mono signal of the audition/song demos played in one headphone) I then figured out the local on/off setting was set to OFF- so I set it to ON -
now I can play the keys and get sound -BUT- the sound is scratchy and only in mono/R side of the headphones ....(obviously tested the headphones themselves and tried another pair to rule that out)

When I adjusted the volume knob- the sound cut out completely! then when i wiggled the knob, sound comes back/ and sometimes come through stereo (both) sides of the head phones, and sometimes switch L and R sides of the headphones- then when I stop applying pressure to the knob- it reverts back to a mono R headphone signal but no longer scratchy.
I did some research, is it possibly the volume potentiometer ? it's a $10 part- but this shop has a high service charge just to look/give an estimate is $75... Is it possible they damaged the solder points when replacing the screen? I did not have this problem before - but it has been unused for quite a while because of the screen.

the only other thing I could think of: is there is a setting/section to make the headphones or output : mono or stereo?
I tried to sequence some things in Logic and tried to use the sounds out of the JUNO G- ( thats why i had turned the local setting to OFF) - or maybe when I was briefly in a synth pop band I tried to use the Juno with their PA - fiddled with some setting ?) I know it sounds daft, but it was 1.5 years ago, then the screen went out -so I feel really unfamiliar with the keyboard all over again)