LCD Question

Forum for JUNO-G
Tarkov72

LCD Question

Post by Tarkov72 »

I've had my Juno-G for 5 years and thankfully no LCD issues so far. I've been using it more than ever lately so I've been through ever nook and cranny of this machine and have noticed sometimes the lower half of the screen gets fuzzy on some menu screens, but then when I scroll down it clears right up. I've posted a sample image below, which actually makes it look worse than it is because I think the lower half is kind of rapidly moving, creating the fuzzy effect. Is this something everyone here has noticed? It only happens on just a few menu screens. Mostly everything is fine. I'd hate for this to be the start of a bad LCD.....

Thanks!
Attachments
LCD fuzzy.JPG
LCD fuzzy.JPG (130.73 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
LCD scroll down clear.JPG
LCD scroll down clear.JPG (152.28 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
Tarkov72

Re: LCD Question

Post by Tarkov72 »

A quick update: I did a factory reset which alleviated the problem... Doesn't make any sense. Before I was able to reproduce it consistently.

Edit: Same thing came back a couple days later. It is baffling.
Tarkov72

Post by Tarkov72 »

Another update. So I've found that when I do a factory reset that the next time I turn on the Juno-G there is no issue with any of the screens. But by the next time I turn it on the screen has the aforementioned issue where the bottom half of the screen gets fuzzy. I only get it on the modulation delay screen, the waveform list, and the chord memory screen. Everything else is fine. It's a strange issue. I know this forum has really died down over the years but anyone have a take on this?
cl

Post by cl »

The problems I have had with mine, it will divide the screen in half left to right... (I'll have "writing" on the left, and the right will be blank or black).....
Don't know if this is "normal" for bad screen (or your problem is).....
By the way... the screen really does suck... you get it a little warm at an outside gig and it all goes black.
The screen on the Gi is much better, however the Gi, (altho I think it sounds better) left off all the really cool features of the G (some engineer(s) in Japan need to fall on their swords)!!!
Tarkov72

Post by Tarkov72 »

Thanks for the reply. I found that my issue is affected by the settings on the contrast knob. If I tweak it a bit the vibrating goes away on those few screens. You are definitely right about one thing, doesn't matter if you have a "working" screen or not, they do just plain suck. I guess I should practice operating the board with no screen if that fateful day ever comes. :-) The trouble is I've been really enjoying getting deep into programming with G lately. There's always the editor, but my computer is dying too!
TWSS

Post by TWSS »

I got the Juno G when it first came out. Since then I have had 3 replacement screens, done at no cost as Roland backed up their product. However, the last time I had it fixed I was told "no more free fixes". Of course, now the 4th screen has gone bad too. I have read all about the China Syndrome LCD screens and the replacement screens that will work.... well I think they all suck pretty much. Which is too bad as I really really love this keyboard and don't want to give it up. I have created some songs that I am very pleased with, but can no longer program on the crappy screen. I have read about home fixes, but I doubt those will last either.

Juno G was a great synth/workstation for the money, but I think it's time to let it go....