LCD Fixed (no need to replace)

Forum for JUNO-G
carlostau

LCD Fixed (no need to replace)

Post by carlostau »

Hello, I am a keyboard technician. Recently I received a Juno G with the classic split screen, random lines, etc.
Since I was aware this was a common problem, I figured this cold not be caused by the display itself but by the zif connector (white flat cable) on the LCD.
I removed the connector from the little interconnecting board on top of the lcd, cleaned the pins and used a piece of plastic that I cut from the transparent plastic piece that protects the boards on both sides. Put the zif connector back in and used that piece of plastic already cut to fit the connector size. Slide it beneath the connector so it force the cable to make good contact with the socket. Turned on the Juno and voilá, no more lines!
Hope this helps
Tarkov72

Re: LCD Fixed (no need to replace)

Post by Tarkov72 »

Wow! Thanks for posting. I haven't had mine conk out on me yet but would be great to know that this relatively simple fix could be the answer to a lot of frustrated folk's problems.
phunkyboy

Post by phunkyboy »

I believe that to be true. My LCD screen was redrawn backwards which leads me to believe its either a logic , software or a connection problem.
carlostau

Post by carlostau »

Further to my previous post, the LCD started to flicker again and from time to time looses it's focus in some corners. This usually is corrected by changing the contrast, but will eventually need readjustment.
I believe this is indeed a defective cable that causes this sort of erratic behavior
The main problem is that the flat cable is glued to the LCD with an epoxy cement which makes it very difficult to remove and test.
Ideally I would need to test a defective screen by removing this epoxy and hard wire the pins from the display straight to the zif connector into the motherboard. If anyone is interested and has a spare LCD that was replaced that you can send me, feel free to contact me and I will run some tests.
Thanks!
Demian
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

carlostau wrote:Hello, I am a keyboard technician. Recently I received a Juno G with the classic split screen, random lines, etc.
Since I was aware this was a common problem, I figured this cold not be caused by the display itself but by the zif connector (white flat cable) on the LCD.
I removed the connector from the little interconnecting board on top of the lcd, cleaned the pins and used a piece of plastic that I cut from the transparent plastic piece that protects the boards on both sides. Put the zif connector back in and used that piece of plastic already cut to fit the connector size. Slide it beneath the connector so it force the cable to make good contact with the socket. Turned on the Juno and voilá, no more lines!
Hope this helps

great advice,i had this similar problem on my sampler on the backlight,verticle lines the rubber contacts wasn't tight enough to the screen so allowing light through.i think this could be why people are saying they have screen issues on the juno g.wish i had seen this thread before i commented on another thread regarding to buy or not to buy a juno g 10 minutes ago.