Windows 8.1 USB driver installation problem

Forum for JUNO-G
gvklaveren

Windows 8.1 USB driver installation problem

Post by gvklaveren »

Hi,

I tried to install the USB driver on my new Win 8.1 computer...
All started fine, but when connecting the Juno-G via USB the installation program doesn't see the Juno-G connection.... I waited for "ages", but nothing happens. The installation program stays waiting on the Juno-G, which is already connected and switched on (and USB in MIDI mode; I checked).
In the program install/uninstall list in Windows it seems to bee installed but de hardware list shows unknown hardware with no driver....
In "storage mode" I can connect to the internal memory and the added memory card... so USB in itself is working fine.

I guess it is close to be installed the right way, but..... what is keeping it from functioning?
(I used the Win 8 v 1.00 driver from the site and an USB 2 connection on the computer itself (USB3: also no success)).

Does anyone know a solution/workaround? (My XP machine is not working anymore; otherwise...)

Regards,

Gerard.
howardS

Re: Windows 8.1 USB driver installation problem

Post by howardS »

Unfortunately there do not appear to be any Juno-G drivers for Windows 8.1. Here is the compatibility list. I know....yikes!
gvklaveren

Post by gvklaveren »

Hi,

I had an solution by editing the inf-file and starting up into a kind of Windows debug mode and it worked.... (This is somewhere on the forum for another piece Roland h.w. But: read on!)

But In the mean time I had a Win update, and when I tried te replicate the process it didn't work anymore! The new problem is: Win8.1 doesn't accept the installer program (setup.exe) anymore; even running it with compatability settings didn't help...

Only when I restored the system to the time I could succesfully install the patched driver it did work again...
Because I cannot lumber you with messing around with your system I wait for a better solution before I come back to you guys!
Hopefully till soon!

Regards,

Gerard.
robygenoa82

Post by robygenoa82 »

My 2 cents... Anyone tried with a Virtual Machine on 8.1 (using VMWare Player, which is free, for instance)? The O.S. should detect the Juno and thus we could work with the editor as normally we did... I've to try!
robygenoa82

Post by robygenoa82 »

Update: I created a VM with XP SP3 and I got the Librarian to Work, but not the editor.
The absurd thing is that the editor gives an error, than hangs up and the process can't be killed in any way (I tried ProcExp, Killbox, Taskkill from command prompt... NOTHING WORKED!!).

Edit: I did the same on a virtual machine with Windows 7 and everything ran smoothly!! :)
I know, this is a bit of "nerdy" solution, but...it works!!
darkhelmet

Post by darkhelmet »

I have the same problem. Wondering if Roland will ever release a driver for Juno-G and Windows 8.1...
I'm not going to purchase a Juno-Gi... especially not if this is the driver support to be expected...
tiyashbasu

Post by tiyashbasu »

I figured a way out. In windows 8.1, you can install Juno G's Windows 8 driver manually by disabling check on driver signatures. The following step will show you how.

First download and extract Juno G's windows 8 driver.
In Windows 8.1, go to start screen, type "Startup Options". Select "Change advanced startup options". Click on "Restart Now" under "Advanced Startup".
In the following screen, select "Troubleshoot", then select "Advanced Options", then select "Startup Settings" and then click on "Restart".
Once windows 8.1 restarts, press F7 in the first screen which comes up. Windows will then open normally.
Once windows is up, connect Juno G and power it on. Now go to Device Manager and right-click on JUNO-G (there will be an exclamation mark on it). Select Update driver software and select the 2nd option (to look for driver in your computer only). Choose the folder path where you had extracted Juno G's windows 8 driver. Select "Include all subfolders" and click on Next. In the following Windows Security popup, select "Install this driver software anyway".
The driver will then be installed.

It seems to work absolutely fine and I have not faced any problem while using Juno G with with Windows 8.1 so far.
Let me know if this does not work for you.
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

Here are the instructions on INF file modding. I needed that to make it work.

http://www.getdriver.com/how-to/2410/ma ... dding.html

So the complete solution is:
1. Modify the INF files so that
- [Roland.NTamd64.6.3] in the (64-bit folder) and [Roland.NTx86.6.3] (in the 32-bit folder) sections do contain the line copied from the 6.2 equivalents above
- The line beginning with CatalogFile is commented out with a ; in the beginning
2. Restart Windows with driver signature enforcement disabled
3. Install the driver through Device Manager. Running the Setup.exe is unnecessary and doesn't help.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

tiyashbasu wrote:I figured a way out. In windows 8.1, you can install Juno G's Windows 8 driver manually by disabling check on driver signatures. The following step will show you how.

First download and extract Juno G's windows 8 driver.
In Windows 8.1, go to start screen, type "Startup Options". Select "Change advanced startup options". Click on "Restart Now" under "Advanced Startup".
In the following screen, select "Troubleshoot", then select "Advanced Options", then select "Startup Settings" and then click on "Restart".
Once windows 8.1 restarts, press F7 in the first screen which comes up. Windows will then open normally.
Once windows is up, connect Juno G and power it on. Now go to Device Manager and right-click on JUNO-G (there will be an exclamation mark on it). Select Update driver software and select the 2nd option (to look for driver in your computer only). Choose the folder path where you had extracted Juno G's windows 8 driver. Select "Include all subfolders" and click on Next. In the following Windows Security popup, select "Install this driver software anyway".
The driver will then be installed.

It seems to work absolutely fine and I have not faced any problem while using Juno G with with Windows 8.1 so far.
Let me know if this does not work for you.

i tried this but unfortunately it did not work,i am wondering though if i have to run the driver in 32 bit compatibility mode.