using your own kits in rhythm group pads

Forum for JUNO-G
dennis elbow

using your own kits in rhythm group pads

Post by dennis elbow »

here is how to use your own kits in rhythm group pads so that they are there permanently.
if you choose later on you can over write these with the pre set kits.just select pre set kit then save in the user section over write my kit 1 etc.

if you are already familiar with making your own kits and saving them you can skip part 1

part 1

in the performance mode screen go to channel 10/track 10/midi channel 10.

press enter,choose a user kit to edit or on card choose initial,press enter.
in performance mode and with the song light on press patch in edit mode.
press pro edit at bottom right.
scroll to the top then scroll down until you see wav l/mono right etc,assign your drums by scrolling through the sounds,when you are happy with the kit you have made press performance then press write,
save your kit in rhythm/patch.name it say, my kit 1 then press enter.
your kit will be saved in the rhythm group category.
if you decide to add or take any sounds from your kit just make sure you write it over your original kit.

for a more detailed explanation on how to assign your own drum kits to patches/keys, see the thread
(How do you record sample triggers in a song?) post by dennis elbow.

o.k
part 2

in performance mode and in song mode,press rhythm pattern button.
here you will see the pads i.e pop1 in pad one pop 2 in pad 2 etc.
for now just leave the pop 1 lit,now hold down shift and press rhythm grp edit.
you will see two options one for patterns/ptn and one which says rhy R.
go to rhy R and scroll until you see your kit which should be my kit 1,once you find it press write.
because you are now writing your kit to pop 1 permanently.repeat this until you have all six pads with your kit in them,if you want you can have more pads with your kit in,just use the scroll wheel turn it on to the next lot of pads then repeat part 2.

REMEMBER to write in the rhy R each time you add your kit to a new pad.

part 3

here is how to create your own patterns and put them in the pads.
with the pad screen highlighted hold down shift and press RHY PTN this screen will show you grid/duration/velocity/accent.
at the bottom you have PREVU/PTN EDIT/WRITE,
press PTN EDIT in this screen you should see a piano type display on the left and to the right top, numbers to do with the pattern length/and also to the left are dots with black squares in them,these are the patterns of pop 1,but we want to create our own so,hold down shift and press INIT,this will get rid of the pop 1 pattern.
now you can press SETUP a small window will open showing/

RHYTHM SETUP
end step 16/this is how you shorten or lengthen your patterens/you can go from 1 step/to 32 steps.your choice.
input velocity 127
and close.
next when you press the keyboard you will see a empty square move up and down,where ever this square is will be where you can input your drum sounds/notes,etc.
and the way to do this is press STP REC till it is ticked.
if you want to hear what you are inputting in a loop press PREVU/use the little arrows by the scroll wheel to move forwards and backwards up and down.
the TIE button when pressed will tie the note to the next note,how you have the RHY PTN duration length set will affect the length of the notes.and the REST button will leave a blank space and move on one step.if you want to erase one or more note/s use the arrows to move to the note/s then press REST it will delete that i.e the notes.
once you are satisfied with your pattern press EXIT,next you will see your pattern,press write name it,for instance my kit ptn 1 over write one of the user kits.
bingo.

now you have created your own pattern you can add this pattern to your my kit 1 in the rhythm pattern pads,heres how.

part 4

in performance mode and song mode press rhythm the pattern button.
you should see your my kit 1 in the pads if you have put your my kit 1 in more than one pad you will see more pads with your my kit 1 in them.
now hold down shift and press GRP EDIT, where it says ptn, scroll to where you have saved your pattern,which will be one of the user patterns you over writ.my kit ptn 1.once you have found it press write.
so you can now write your own patterns to play in the rhythm grp pads and once you have finished save the song as,my kit 1.and when you turn the juno g on again and want to work on the same pads just load that song up my kit 1.
when saving your song use the menu button then save song if you also have samples in your kits that you have created save song and samples.

good luck and most of all have fun.

any questions feel free to ask.
no one showed me i had to figure it out by myself.the manual only gets you so far and sometimes we could do with a hand.

peace.

paul.
dennis elbow

Re: using your own kits in rhythm group pads

Post by dennis elbow »

i forgot to say that you can do this on any of the sixteen channels.
not just in midi channel ten(patch channel ten).