Preset Patches for Performing Live

Forum for JUNO-G
ValenTIGER

Preset Patches for Performing Live

Post by ValenTIGER »

I need help, lots of it on my Juno-G. I am simply trying to make some preset buttons to jump between 10-15 sounds (or patches). I bought this Juno-G for many years but all I can do while playing, is to press PACH then select Blue groups then rotate the wheel until I get to the "Sound" I want.

Because there is no Alpha/Numeric pad to enter the code, the selection is very slow, slippery and frustrating.

I have found that the manual and the displayed steps are very hard to achieve. I have been looking at Youtube and did webs search for few weeks already but I could not find a single lesson or tutorials.

There are few good videos on how to do advance synthesizing or recording. They are complex but I could follow nicely. Still no one shows about presetting patches to make one-button recall of the sound that I need (quickly, while playing). Please allow me to ask:

1- Does Juno-G have this capability?
2- What is the difference between PERFORM and LIVE? They both are "Playing" to me. If I play in front of the viewer then to me, it is "Live". But, people also perform live too! Don't they?
3- If I want to make preset buttons, where will they be?
4- Under LIVE setting I saw some BANK 1, 2, 3.....and "slots 1 thru 12". What is the term of these "slots"? Can I enter the sound there and how?

After I learn some advance techniques from Youtube, I plan to keep this Juno-G for a while. Any help with plain layman lessons will be greatly appreciated.
marczellm

Re: Preset Patches for Performing Live

Post by marczellm »

Hello,

This is how the JUNO is organized (in a nutshell):
  • PATCHes are individual sounds. A Patch can be a piano, an organ, a synth lead etc.
  • A PERFORMANCE consists of 16 Patches. You can split or layer them on the keyboard any way you want.
  • LIVE SETTING mode is what you are looking for. It's for quickly accessing the sounds you need live. You can assign a Patch or a Performance to each of the slots. There are 12 slots in each bank.
This is how to set up the LIVE SETTING:
  • Select the Patch or Performance you want to access from the Live Setting screen.
  • Press SHIFT + LIVE SETTING
  • Choose the slot you want to save it to.
  • Press REGISTER ("soft button", under screen).
This is how to use the LIVE SETTING:
  • Press LIVE SETTING
  • You can see the banks and the slots. You can access Slots 1-6 with the function keys under the screen. You can access Slots 7-12 by pressing SHIFT and a function key. You can move between the banks with UP and DOWN.
ValenTIGER

Post by ValenTIGER »

Dear Marczellm:

Thank you very much. I tried it last night and was able to preset patches and some PERFORMs into Banks and Slots.

It is quite interesting logic and sequence. Instead of invoking, seeking or prompting PATCHes while inside LIVE SETTING, one has to jump out of the group then come back to LIVE SETTING with double keystroke (Shift+LiveSetting) again.

I also tried to locate the PATCH I wanted before going into LIVE SETTING, then press Shift+LiveSetting. It took me to same LIVE SET EDIT.

This may be the reason why the newer Juno-Gi added "FAVORITE" function into it.

Now I am curious why players want to include PERFORM into one slot of the Live Setting BANKs. Why not having User's Preset Perform configuration inside PERFORM?

Strange enough, I just ran into a PERFORM number that shows "PAT LIST" and then "FAVRIT". If PERFORM can have 16 Patches, why can't I preset here? May be because I can only scroll vertically.

Regards,
VT
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

Maybe this helps you:

LIVE SETTING button takes you to Live Setting mode. You should use this for performing live.

SHIFT + LIVE SETTING takes you to Live Setting Editing mode. You should use this for preparing your live sets before the show. In editing mode, the name of the currently active patch or performance is shown on the screen, so you can see what you will register to the slots.

JUNO-G has a Favorites function, but it's not very convenient, so I don't use it.
ValenTIGER wrote: Now I am curious why players want to include PERFORM into one slot of the Live Setting BANKs. Why not having User's Preset Perform configuration inside PERFORM?
I don't understand this question. I have a lot of Performances assigned to Live Setting slots. For example, in one song I play piano with left hand and brass with right hand. At home I created a Performance. In the Performance I saved the split, with the split point, the octave transpose, and the volume levels. Then I assign this to a Live Setting slot so I can call up this Performance with one button press, next to all my other Patches and Performances that I regularly use.
ValenTIGER

Post by ValenTIGER »

Dear marczellm:

Sorry for taking days to reply. I have been dealing with Delays in Cakewalk when testing records. If you have good lessons please let me know.

About that quote (PERFORM): I was wondering why we can't organize all preset patches into PERFORM and name it PERFORM-U1...U20....or ROCK-80 then retrieve them under PERFORM.

As the matter of fact, When I press PERFORM and dial for desired PLAY then press PAT LIST I can see FAVRIT. After I press FAVRIT I can see Bank 1 with stored 1-8 Patches. I can again use the dial to select the FAVORITE PATCH I want.

Inside just 1 PREFORM, there are 8 BANKs to use and each has 8 Slots. Also with PREVIEW. This is quite Ok to activate patch because it is straight forward. The dial knob can zoom to 7-8 targets quicker and invoke the patch right away. It is much faster than LIVE SETTING that use Up-Down-Left-Right arrows. Then I have to Enter to pick 1 of the 12 Slots of LIVE SETTING because only 6 soft keys are available with 1 finger (need Shift to see 7-12 slots).

I begin to understand your concept of putting user's PERFORM into LIVE SETTING. I assume that a BANK will have a referenced PERFORM that contains multiple elements (PATCHes, RYTHM and may be more) in 1 slot alongside with other patches or other referenced PERFORM. I said "referenced" because I think it is borrowed from PERFORM Mode. The relationship or access between 1-12 slots inside each BANK of LIVE SETTING is beyond my knowledge at this time.

Finally I notice that it will take few seconds for LIVE SETTING to load each Patch. It is 0 second under dialed FAVORITE.

Thanks again. The collection that I have built into LIVE SETTING helps me a lot. I can jump between Modes quicker. I also deleted few banks unintentionally.

Oh, I started using the Juno-G Editor and Library programs to explore preset patches function. Unfortunately, I could see only "Perform" listing but not the group LIVE SETTING. Anyone knows about this?

Have a great day.
VT
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

Hey fifahome1, either you are a spammer or you have been virus infected, because your post contains spam links.

Slots are a quick way to recall the patches and performances you need for a show.