Juno G display solution

Forum for JUNO-G
mockba_the_borg

Juno G display solution

Post by mockba_the_borg »

Hello everyone,

Did anyone ever succeed on replacing the JunoG display with some other kind? Or replacing the ribbon cables themselves with other options?
I understand Roland has the display available for 100+ dollars (not including replacement costs), but I still don't understand why we would have to pay for a mess up on quality control.
I am one of the "unlucky" second-hand owners which doesn't have the original papers, and my display finally presented the issue, but still, I am second-hand owner of two cars and both had quality control related recalls done for me at no cost (other than having to bring the cars into the shop). Also, I have heard of stories of people who had the displays replaced and found the same issue again later, then why pay for trial and error?
So I am evaluating what are my options here. Did anyone ever find a solution?
I am an experienced electronics engineer, so I would be able to replace, improve, transform and adapt stuff in there. Just wondering if someone knows of any success in that area.

Cheers,
Marcelo.
etherweet

Re: Juno G display solution

Post by etherweet »

i was looking through here and it dawned on me to look up when i bought my first replacement display.

june 27 2013. i'm guessing i don't have the latest greatest one you guys are talking about.

it seems like a better one than the original one, but i didn't get software with it so ugh....

any ideas on when the newest display officially became available?

(putting $$$ away in case i have to get one before they are gone forever)

thanks
whone

Post by whone »

I hope to solve the mystery of the Roland Juno-G LCD display.
Patrik

Post by Patrik »

Hi, here is my way of display solution. My problems started after JG was off longer time - more weeks and than 3/4 of display disapeared. So I tried to let it on for longer time - all night long for one week. Some little changes appeared but not a big win. At least after more buttons variations I found out that while JG is booting moving with LCD contrast wheel makes some changes. So I turn on and off JG repeatedly and moving wheel until whole display starts correctly or very close to this state. Nowadays diplay is not perfect but much better than before. Sometimes corect.
I also take note that room temperature and humidity have something to do with it. When I moved JG to rehearsal room with wood oven the heat from owen made a display to work correctly. Wheh I returned home the defect was back.
So use this infos as you want.
Now I can fully use my JG as before.