I need your help! Arpeggiator/Tempo issue

Forum for JUNO-G
Prosvetlen

I need your help! Arpeggiator/Tempo issue

Post by Prosvetlen »

My display/screen failed, obviously, and I need you to help me with this issue: I need to use my Juno G arpeggiator but I can't set up the tempo, since I can't see it on the display. I don't think there is a way to sync Juno G arpeggiator tempo through the MIDI IN/OUTS, so what is my alternative? Is there a way to know the tempo in which the arpeggiator runs WITHOUT seeing it on the display/screen.
dennis elbow

Re: I need your help! Arpeggiator/Tempo issue

Post by dennis elbow »

hi there sorry to hear about your display mine gets cold and plays up.

there is one way and that is.

in performance mode press the arpeggio button so it's lit.

then press the tempo button,then press the button below brass button/select button no 2.

this will enable you to hear the tempo. it's the click sound.

then tap the world select no 1 button,this is the tap tempo button.

so at least you can hear the tempo this way.

are you using a software sequencer with the juno g,if so you could use the software midi sequencer to be master and set the juno as slave and you can override the juno g's tempo via the software.

let me know and i will try and guide you through the process of which button to press on the juno g.

so that you can make the juno g as slave midi.

hope this helps.

let me know i will check back later or tomorrow either way let me know how you get on.

all the best paul.
Prosvetlen

Post by Prosvetlen »

Hello Dennis,

Thank you so much for responding to my message here. Making the Juno G slave to my software sequencers would be the best thing to do, but how do I do that if my display doesn't show anything at all? Is there a way for you to lead me through the process. I will be immensely grateful!!! I doubth, however, if that will be possible, because it seems that when switching to arpeggiator, the arpeggiator tempo is kind of separated from the main tempo features, but maybe I am mistaken. I am waiting for your help! Thank you again.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

hi there its paul,just one thing that may help what software are you using, if the software has an arpeggiator then you could just use the software's arpeggiator instead, which i think would be best in your situation.
the juno g has a sync to tempo arpeggio switch so if you do get a new screen you can sync it to tempo.

get back to me soon as and i will guide you through the process.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

by the way sorry for the late response to your latest post i did look in but i didn't think anyone was going to respond back or that you had found a way to do your arp problem.
better late than never eh!.lol

o.k it seems that you cannot trigger the juno g's arpeggiator externally so this is your best way to set up the juno g so at least you can use the juno's arpeggio's.

this setting will make the juno g the master but you can use the tap tempo on the juno g. if you get a small ended jack lead at one end and big at the other plug the small end into your p.c's audio output
and put the other end into the audio input of the juno g.
have a pair of head phones plugged into the juno g so you can hear audio coming in.
set up your software so it's audio metronome is on click.
start or press play on your p.c's softwar and leave it clicking,you should be able to hear the click in your headphones from the software's metronome.
now for the walk through to set up juno g as master.

1) make sure performance light is on only.
2) press menu button once.
3) press down arrow button once.
4) press world button once.
5) press guitar button once.

now you should be on the screen which sets the arp sync switch on.

6) turn the dial anti clockwise slowly a couple of turns this sets the juno g master switch to on.
7) press the down arrow once and turn the dial clockwise slowly this will turn on the arp/rhythm sync switch on.

press the write button,this will save your settings.

8) press exit.

now you can use the explanation on tap tempo i wrote in an earlier post in this thread,and once you hear the incoming metronome from your software you can hit the tap tempo on the juno g in time with the click that is coming through the juno g's audio input.

it is all about just listening to the incoming metronome click and tapping in time you will get the idea just remember you can press the click button on just when you think the metronome is on the beat.

hope this helps,let me know how you get on.

what a pain in the rear end for you it must be with no screen if i can help any further just leave a message or post one up.
no probs from paul.its not dennis i just use that as a login name.lol

all the best mate.
Prosvetlen

Post by Prosvetlen »

"hi there its paul,just one thing that may help what software are you using"
Hi Paul,

I've got plenty of arpeggiators from plugins etc, that I can trigger through my DAW, and some of them are mono or polyphonic, but I really need to integrate my computer and my Juno G tempowise, and particularly through the Juno's arpeggiator.
Prosvetlen

Post by Prosvetlen »

Regarding your second post: I will try all these and see what will happen. I truly am miserable without my screen functioning and it really is a mess Roland providing such an underwhelming product. Tones are great, but without a screen it's just pointless. Thank you again.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

right forget what i wrote previously,i was reading somewhere that you cannot sync the juno g's arpeggio to external software so that is why i just posted what i did,turns out the chap who said you couldn't was talking complete drivel.

so here is how to do it.

1) with performance lit only press menu once.
2) press down arrow once.
3) press enter once.
4) press orch button once.
5) turn wheel anti clockwise,this turns local off then press write.
6) press exit once.
7)press world button once
8) press guitar button once
9) press the dec button a couple of times,then press inc button once this will set slave-midi 10) press down arrow once and press the inc button a couple of times.
11) press down arrow once again and press the inc button a couple of times.
12) press down arrow once more and press the dec button a couple of times just to make sure it moves to where you want it.
13) press write.

that's it.

the next part is to set up your sequencer software so it will start recording and while you hold a key on the juno g with the arpeggio on,at this point you should not hear the juno's sound, then your software will start recording and it will record the juno g's notes once it start's the recording process you should hear the juno's sound and because the juno g arpegiator is now synced to it's self it will be synced to the software's tempo as will the speed of the arpeggio's.

i use cubase vst 24 on windows 98,and this is how i have set it up to record the juno's arpegiator.

MASTER off on the inspector player,AQ on, CLICK on,SYNC off.

in options i setup the synchronization page as follows.

sync source-intern
from input 1 roland um 1 midi
output-1 roland um 1 midi
25 frp-frame rate
midi clock-tempo base
from input- 1 roland um 1 midi midi time code 1 roland um 1 midi.
midi clock-1 roland um 1 midi.

if you have similar software you should be able to set it up o.k.

good luck,let us know how you get on.

paul.