Giving up the ghost

Forum for JUNO-G
B3guy01

Giving up the ghost

Post by B3guy01 »

I guess it may be time to move on. Replaced one LCD and the new one is getting ropey, the pitch bend has had a dead spot for a while, the volume knob still works but is wobbly, and now the aftertouch just went. Believe it or not it's only left the home studio a couple of times. Oh well, I love this board but there's only so much CPR you can do. I'll miss it.
marczellm

Re: Giving up the ghost

Post by marczellm »

Getting an FA maybe? I think it's the perfect logical step up.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

That is so unfortunate about your Juno-G.
I purchased one new when they first came out. And did not have any problems with it.
I have since sold it to a friend of mine when I got a Fantom X6. He still has it after all these years and it is still fine. I really wonder why some have all these problems and others not. It is very strange.
B3guy01

Post by B3guy01 »

marczellm wrote:Getting an FA maybe? I think it's the perfect logical step up.
The FA is one of the candidates. To be honest I'm a bit gun shy on it since all this. I've had and loved Roland gear all the way back to my Juno 106 (which I still have) but the G has shaken my faith a bit.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

B3Guy01, did you get your Juno-G new/were you the 1st owner? If so, I completely understand your feelings. I have been there and done that with Roland and other companies (Moog, and Korg and crappy Behringer). I stuck with Roland through the ages (brand loyalty I guess) but and once in a while I get let down. This can happen with any company though. For instance, I bought a brand new Moog Voyager Old School and out of the box OSC 2 was dead. I had it fixed under warranty because at the time I got it Old schools were no longer made, so it was either return it or have Moog fix it. Moog took care of it, shipping and all, but just a year later OSC 2 died along with OSC this time. I was not happy with that lemon of a purchase and the money I lost. I sold that thing at a lose and lost all faith in Moog. I bought an R-3 and new out of box most of the encoders/knobs would not read up to 127 and they seem to have had some pot jitter to. I Returned it immediately. Those are the most resent issues I have had. I have had many others over the last 25 years. It all stinks but It happens to Roland, Moog and the rest. I guess it depends how much we are willing to put up with it and get our faith restored.
B3guy01

Post by B3guy01 »

Synthtron,
Yep, I got it new. Roland took a while to own up to the display issue way back when but to their credit they came around and replaced it free of charge. Now it's out of warranty and there's 4 issues that need fixing and it would just be prohibitively expensive. I'm certainly not down on Roland vs other manufacturers on quality control... it seems that's been slipping across the board (no pun intended).

That said, a friend of mine had the best analogy: if your last car was babied but still had major issues would you go out and buy the same brand the next day. Probably hard to do.

I'll buy another Roland synth one day I'm sure.
marczellm

Post by marczellm »

B3guy01 wrote:the aftertouch just went.
What do you mean? The JUNO-G has no aftertouch.
B3guy01

Post by B3guy01 »

Marczellm,
I must've been spending too much time with my new analogs that do have aftertouch. I must've went back to the Juno and missed having it. I never claimed to be smart...