rs-70 or juno D

Forum for JUNO-G
yaboy88

rs-70 or juno D

Post by yaboy88 »

I am thinking about buying a lower end roland synth, and was wondering what the differences and similarities between the juno-D and rs-70 are. What would I be better off buying?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: rs-70 or juno D

Post by Artemiy »

Juno-D is basically an improved RS-70. It has an arpeggiator, chord memory and rhythm machine that the RS didn't have as I know, plus many new sounds. I played RS-70 a while ago and it's a very nice synth - small, yet very cool-looking, nice panel layout and good key response, very nice sounds (many waves are derived from the Fantom-S/X series as I hear). I think Juno-D is just a bit better than RS.

A.
GreyHornet

Post by GreyHornet »

ehm , the RS-70 has an Arpeggiator , Chord Memory , and a rhytm machine also , i thought the Juno-D was an improved RS-50 , so the RS-70 is better...

i'm an owner of the RS-70 , and it's a nice synthesizer to begin with ... good sounds , small ..but strong also...

and another difference, the RS-50 and Juno-D are identically the same from the outside......so it's not an improved RS-70 , it hasn't got a floppy-drive either...
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Thanks for correcting me! Yes, the 70 has a nice sequencer in there too, and I am not sure about the D.
GreyHornet

Post by GreyHornet »

but if i were you , yaboy88 ! , i'd just buy the RS-70 , or maybe go further for a Fantom-Xa ?

i'm going to save some money now and go for a Fantom-X6-7

but first i'm busy with this one for a while , it's a nice synthesizer ..
yaboy88

Post by yaboy88 »

why would roland come out with basically the same synth, and call it a different name? I checked the specs on the rs-50 and juno-d, and they are both pretty much the same. Also, does the juno d have usb?
GreyHornet

Post by GreyHornet »

i think it's just a strategy to promote the RS-50 under the name of a Roland Juno...

it's a famous name .. so ...

// USB , i don't know , the RS-70 has ... the RS-50 doesn't have it , i thought , so neither does the Juno-D ... i'd say :)
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

The Juno-D retails for much less than the RS-70. It's really a pretty amazing value considering what it does. However I played one while in the process of demoing the Fantom-X and Xa. The difference is very noticeable. Although the Juno has basically many of the Fantom sounds such as good acoustic piano and Rhodes, all of the sounds seemed very, very compressed in comparison to the Fantoms. That's probably how they fit all those sounds into 32 megabytes - major compression. Sort of like the difference between CD and MP3 versions of a song.
thunderkyss

Post by thunderkyss »

I'v never owned either of these boards, but I was under the impression the RS70 had more sounds. The RS series are general sounds, while the Juno specializes in Dance sounds.
Of course the RS70 has the sequencer, but I thought(feel free to correct me) the Juno offered more tweaking possibilities.
2TIM316

Post by 2TIM316 »

Nope - the Juno-D definitely has the standard fare of Roland sounds - good pianos, Rhodes, etc.... you know, the Bread and Butter sounds. But to my ears they are much more compressed than the same sounds in the Fantoms. I guess that's how they fit so much into a 32 meg wave ROM, and is how they will keep the (much cheaper) Juno from taking business away from the Fantom line.
whalebob2000

Post by whalebob2000 »

I would save up for an Fantom Xa, it's well worth it for the features. But if you solely want a good "synth" I would recommend Alesis if you want something you can can actually tweak to the max. I have an RS-50. It's an excellent "Keyboard" but not a true "Synth" at all to me.