Control high hat open and close

Forum for JUNO-G
craigsfrost

Control high hat open and close

Post by craigsfrost »

Hi, anyone know if it is possible to dynamically control the open and close of the high hat in a drum kit? I'm thinking either with D-Beam, pitch lever or... I have an old SPD-11 that works great for midi control but I haven't figured out how to get the foot pedal to control the high hat over midi. I can assign sounds to the pads no problem and even use the kick pedal but the high hat pedal no worky.

Ok, I know I can use velocity to control it so that's last on my list if I have to because you only get 4 levels of open and close.

Thanks
craigsfrost

Re: Control high hat open and close

Post by craigsfrost »

Trying to make sense of this from the SPD-11 OM:

"The SPD-11 transmits movements of the Hi-hat Control Pedal as Control Change messages from another MIDI device, it's sound will be affected in the same way as when the pedal is moved."

I don't think this helps me because it's talking about receiving data from my sequencer to trigger internal sounds from the SPD-11. I'm not using the internal sounds. I want to go the other way. Errr
craigsfrost

Post by craigsfrost »

I might have figured this out although I don't know if it's ideal. The OM says for Hi-hat controling a pad will transmit 3 note numbers. 1 number for hitting pad while pedal depressed, another number when hitting pad by itself and a 3rd note when pedal is depressed without hitting the pad. Haven't tried this so not sure how it will play out. I guess I'll have to assign each note with different variations of hi-hats with each one having 4 levels of velocity. I guess that's OK.
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

Hi, on drum kits the closed hi hat and pedal hi hat (F#2 and G#2)acts as "mute" for the open hi hat sample.
You can edit and assing the "mute group"that on the patch edit menu.
Maybe you can program the 3rd note to be a very high note on that drum kit, without any sample on it, to "mute or close" your hi hat sample (Bb2), include that note on the mute group.
craigsfrost

Post by craigsfrost »

Thanks but I already know how to use mute groups. That's not the problem. A mute group just controls the release of a sound by stopping it as soon as another key in the same group is pressed. Like monophonic voicing. What I'm trying to do is use a controller to get all the in between sounds of a hi-hat slowly opening for performance use. I want me sequence to sound like a real drummer is playing.
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

Mmmm...i see....it sounds like that can't be done properly.
craigsfrost

Post by craigsfrost »

LOL sounds like a dare.
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

Nah, as keyboard players we don't need a controller like the hi hat pedal, that's a hardware matter. But i can be wrong.