NEED REPLACEMENT LCD DISPLAY FOR JUNO-G!

Forum for JUNO-G
Juno-G-SWPA

NEED REPLACEMENT LCD DISPLAY FOR JUNO-G!

Post by Juno-G-SWPA »

Yeah, looks like I'm beating the proverbial dead horse here, but does anyone on here know where I can source a replacement LCD display for my Juno-G? I contacted Roland directly... no dice - discontinued and none in stock. I searched the web up & down, also to no avail, so again, if there's someone that has one to sell or knows where I can get one, please let me know.

I decided to see if any of what I read on numerous sites suggested and I pulled the flex ribbon connector from the main board to clean the contacts, and the flat contact pins were all screwed up. I got them straightened out, then gently reconnected it, and now have a little more than half of the display working again. I went ahead and ordered a new ribbon cable, but after looking again, the other end where it connects to small driver board on the back of the display unit appears to be covered with what I'm guessing is epoxy. Would I even be able to replace that cable? I'm afraid to try and remove that black epoxy... I mean at least right now, I have half of the display working, but if the connection under that epoxy is soldered, with the contacts being sooooo small and close together, I don't know if I would be able to solder the new one in place. I've attached pics. If there's anyone that has dealt with the same issue I just described, please get in touch. Thanks in advance all!
Attachments
IMG_2505[1].JPG
IMG_2505[1].JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 6427 times
IMG_2503[1].JPG
IMG_2503[1].JPG (2.84 MiB) Viewed 6427 times
Leo Castro

Re: NEED REPLACEMENT LCD DISPLAY FOR JUNO-G!

Post by Leo Castro »

Hi, i'm sorry to read that.
That epoxy thing i think is the problem itself, or on the other side, the 2 black ribbon receivers, under the screen.
I don't know who sell one now...
flsman

Post by flsman »

Hi!
For me, the current Juno-G is the fourth piece in many years. All four had a broken display. It used to be replaced under warranty, then not years later, so I bought and replaced it myself. I have tried a lot of solutions in the last 1 year because I can no longer get a display. I soldered the cables on the display, washed the PCB, tried everything but nothing led to results. Last week, after half a year of rest, I thought I'd give it another try ..... and it seems I managed to fix the LCD.
flsman

Post by flsman »

Sorry for the google translator
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

Hi Flsman! And can you tell us what do you think was the fixing trick?
Many thanks
Juno-G-SWPA

Post by Juno-G-SWPA »

flsman wrote:Hi!
For me, the current Juno-G is the fourth piece in many years. All four had a broken display. It used to be replaced under warranty, then not years later, so I bought and replaced it myself. I have tried a lot of solutions in the last 1 year because I can no longer get a display. I soldered the cables on the display, washed the PCB, tried everything but nothing led to results. Last week, after half a year of rest, I thought I'd give it another try ..... and it seems I managed to fix the LCD.
Well I've tried pulling cables, cleaned contacts, but still have a hosed, semi working screen. So what do you think did the trick this time when you tried again?

Also had this thought bouncing around in my head - why not file a class action lawsuit against Roland for these infamous defective Juno G LCD displays? They clearly knew there were issues! Hell, I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way and would love to see Roland step up and do the right thing.