Is this a possible solution for LCD Juno G screen??

Forum for JUNO-G
BustSkunk

Re: Is this a possible solution for LCD Juno G screen??

Post by BustSkunk »

bjaan wrote: 09:16, 19 January 2023 Yeah I am wondering as well how one could place a RP2040 chip or entire Pico and LCD module on a custom board and make it all work - and fit - as a all-in-one solution :)
This is what I'm working on. I would need to make a nominal charge on top of the cost of components to cover assembly time, and the fact that I'd have to spend a bit of cash up front. (And develop a test rig.)

But yes, a screwdriver only replacement with a pre-programmed pico already soldered in, the LCD mounted and a replacement flexi ribbon to attach to the Juno's micro-processor board.
rrete

Post by rrete »

BustSkunk wrote: 14:04, 24 January 2023
bjaan wrote: 09:16, 19 January 2023 Yeah I am wondering as well how one could place a RP2040 chip or entire Pico and LCD module on a custom board and make it all work - and fit - as a all-in-one solution :)
This is what I'm working on. I would need to make a nominal charge on top of the cost of components to cover assembly time, and the fact that I'd have to spend a bit of cash up front. (And develop a test rig.)

But yes, a screwdriver only replacement with a pre-programmed pico already soldered in, the LCD mounted and a replacement flexi ribbon to attach to the Juno's micro-processor board.
Very good news! I'm interesed. For people like me the best solution it should be possible. Good job!
rrete

Post by rrete »

Finally implemented!
Works perfect!

I don't know why the links to images don't work????

THX to autors

Edited

Bug found!!!
Recording an audio track screen works wrong.
BustSkunk

Post by BustSkunk »

I have ordered the PCBs today. They should be with me in about 3 to 4 weeks.
I'll order some LCDs and all the other components and I should be ready to take orders in about 6 to 8 weeks.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

@BustSkunk:

sounds good to me.thank you.
muzior

Post by muzior »

BustSkunk wrote: 10:33, 24 February 2023 I have ordered the PCBs today. They should be with me in about 3 to 4 weeks.
I'll order some LCDs and all the other components and I should be ready to take orders in about 6 to 8 weeks.
Have you started making these displays yet ? What price do you suggest for such a lcd ?
buendias

Post by buendias »

I have implemented my version. It was hard but it finally works.
Thanks a lot to dpeddi (he did the really hard work).

I have forked dpeddi project in GitHub
https://github.com/buendias-dev/LCDJunoG
buendias

Post by buendias »

bjaan wrote: 01:59, 17 January 2023
BustSkunk wrote: 16:52, 16 January 2023 Would people be interested in a pre-assembled, pre-programmed module?
It would definitely be more sturdy than my current implementation, which is functional only. It would not only look better and but also would continue to function longer as there no loose wires flopping around in the keyboard which eventually will break.

Also, as the new display is smaller than the original one, the buttons below the new display do not align with the indications on the display any longer. There must be better alternative available too.

Maybe a custom sticker could fix this regardless? I made some rough examples (using an image editing program) on how this could improve the user interface:

rrete wrote: 18:33, 16 January 2023 .pio\libdeps\pico\TFT_eSPI\TFT_eSPI.h:953:8: warning: #warning >>>>------>> TOUCH_CS pin not defined, TFT_eSPI touch functions will not be available! [-Wcpp]
I got that one as well. This build warning can be safely ignored as it doesn't impact existing functionality. (The TFT_eSPI library, used to control the new display, expects a definition of a variable related to a pin controlling the touch functionally of the attached display, which is not in use or exist)
Inspired by this post I printed this labels with a label printer.

BustSkunk

Post by BustSkunk »

Good news! The PCBs have arrived and I have completed testing.
Bad news, I'm an idiot and mucked up the layout, they aren't reworkable. It's very embarassing, I shouldn't be making mistakes on something this simple.

I fixed the layout today and I've placed a new order. There's a 3 day build for the raw PCB and up to 18 days shipping.
PRSRVFRSHNSS

Re: Is this a possible solution for LCD Juno G screen

Post by PRSRVFRSHNSS »

BustSkunk wrote: 19:01, 5 April 2023 Good news! The PCBs have arrived and I have completed testing.
Bad news, I'm an idiot and mucked up the layout, they aren't reworkable. It's very embarassing, I shouldn't be making mistakes on something this simple.

I fixed the layout today and I've placed a new order. There's a 3 day build for the raw PCB and up to 18 days shipping.
I’m super excited for this and can’t wait! We all sometimes miss the simplest things and make mistakes. Gotta admit it makes end results more fulfilling. The idea this is even a workable solution is amazing and a testament to the power a small group of people with a single problem and the ability to create a solution has. I’ll be a buyer for two the moment you make create a listing.
BustSkunk

Post by BustSkunk »

The website is live, if a little crude.

https://junoglcd.my-online.store/

I will endeavour to fulfil any orders placed within the two week period promised. However, I still have to order packaging and I currently only have enough parts to make four sets.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

@bustskunk i just ordered a screen,thank you so much,i am very grateful.
BustSkunk

Post by BustSkunk »

@dennis elbow
Thank you, you're the first customer!
I can confirm that I can see your order and address. Which is a relief, I've never set up an ecommerce site before!
I've just ordered the packaging, it'll be here by the end of the week. So I should be able to post your module once I've built it.

EDIT:
I've just realised I was not explicit.
The new PCBs arrived and worked first time. Camera phone pictures of the prototype are on the website above.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

@Bustskunk
great to hear that mate.
The website looks cool.
cheers and thanks again.;)
BustSkunk

Post by BustSkunk »

@Dennis Elbow
Your order has been dispatched. I expect I will struggle to get instructions written up before it arrives. They are coming very soon.

There are really only three things you need to know:

1. I use ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) connectors on the display module. They are better quality than the ones Roland used.
In order to insert or remove the ribbon cable, the actuator must be lifted. Here's a screenshot from the datasheet:
https://thumbsnap.com/t/j9aB8DsJ.jpg?0426
I've coloured the actuator plae yellow. The actuator is lifted in the left image, closed in the middle (side view) and open in the far right.

2. Cable directly from the display board to the Juno-G's CPU board. You do not need the small interstitial PCB marked "Roland JUNO-G LCD BOARD ASSY".
You can dispose of this PCB and the four plastic clips that hold in in place.

3. Orientation of the ribbon cable.
With the display held as shown in this photo:
https://thumbsnap.com/t/cRPtqKkF.jpg?0426
The ribbon contacts go towards the bottom of the image.