Is this a possible solution for LCD Juno G screen??

Forum for JUNO-G
rrete

Re: Is this a possible solution for LCD Juno G screen??

Post by rrete »

Thanks BustShunk for your repply.
I'll wait for it and tell You the the results.
I never wait more than 10-15 minutes.

THX
rrete

Post by rrete »

THX BustShunk for your repply I'll wait for if.
I hope can do this soon, too many time waiting for use my juno again!
Thx
BustSkunk

Post by BustSkunk »

@rrete, see here:
https://community.platformio.org/t/vsco ... build/6296
It appears to be something something platformio does once, the first time you use it. It takes forever and it doesn't really let you know what it's up to.
Which is probably why hardened users like ddpedi & bjaan didn't think to warn us about it, they wouldn't have seen this -first time user- issue.
BustSkunk

Post by BustSkunk »

Question (to all):
Given that this project requires a medium to high level of skill to put together, Would people be interested in a pre-assembled, pre-programmed module?

I could put together a simple custom PCB, PI module, LCD and new long ribbon cable for somewhere around the £40 to $50 UKP mark, plus postage to where ever you are in the world. Provided of course ddpedi has no objections.

You'd just need to remove the old display & unscrew the black mounting brackets. The brackets would be screwed to the new PCB and replaced in the Juno. No soldering, no programming.

Or would that take the fun out?
rrete

Post by rrete »

Programming microcontroller ¡¡¡DONE!!!
One question in building process appears this text
"In file included from .pio\libdeps\pico\TFT_eSPI\TFT_eSPI.cpp:16:
.pio\libdeps\pico\TFT_eSPI\TFT_eSPI.h:953:8: warning: #warning >>>>------>> TOUCH_CS pin not defined, TFT_eSPI touch functions will not be available! [-Wcpp]
953 | #warning >>>>------>> TOUCH_CS pin not defined, TFTCompiling .pio\build\pico\FrameworkArduino\RP2040Support.cpp.o
_eSPI touch functions wilCompiling .pio\build\pico\FrameworkArduino\RP2040USB.cpp.o
l not be available!

I think is for use a touch display, is correct?

Thanks another for the support.
bjaan

Post by bjaan »

BustSkunk wrote: 16:52, 16 January 2023 Would people be interested in a pre-assembled, pre-programmed module?
It would definitely be more sturdy than my current implementation, which is functional only. It would not only look better and but also would continue to function longer as there no loose wires flopping around in the keyboard which eventually will break.

Also, as the new display is smaller than the original one, the buttons below the new display do not align with the indications on the display any longer. There must be better alternative available too.

Maybe a custom sticker could fix this regardless? I made some rough examples (using an image editing program) on how this could improve the user interface:

rrete wrote: 18:33, 16 January 2023 .pio\libdeps\pico\TFT_eSPI\TFT_eSPI.h:953:8: warning: #warning >>>>------>> TOUCH_CS pin not defined, TFT_eSPI touch functions will not be available! [-Wcpp]
I got that one as well. This build warning can be safely ignored as it doesn't impact existing functionality. (The TFT_eSPI library, used to control the new display, expects a definition of a variable related to a pin controlling the touch functionally of the attached display, which is not in use or exist)
rrete

Post by rrete »

BustSkunk wrote: 16:52, 16 January 2023 Question (to all):
Given that this project requires a medium to high level of skill to put together, Would people be interested in a pre-assembled, pre-programmed module?

I could put together a simple custom PCB, PI module, LCD and new long ribbon cable for somewhere around the £40 to $50 UKP mark, plus postage to where ever you are in the world. Provided of course ddpedi has no objections.

You'd just need to remove the old display & unscrew the black mounting brackets. The brackets would be screwed to the new PCB and replaced in the Juno. No soldering, no programming.

Or would that take the fun out?
Is a great idea. I always think this is not only a solution, a commercial opportunity too. I don't know how many People have a juno g and how many has this issue but with pre-orders and if the amount of that is important of course. Maybe in the futuro can make screen improvements in size or colores eventos.
A post in this forum will be necessary.

In other side . Finally i can program the rp waiting about the 40 minutes you said. Now hardware working is on the way.

Thanks
bjaan

Post by bjaan »

rrete wrote: 17:52, 15 January 2023 "Note: when you skipped the previous section, you only need to copy the .uf2 file available under Releases after step 1 on the new available drive representing the Raspberry Pi Pico to flash it" What is this???
It means that you can grab the .uf2 file from the https://github.com/bjaan/roland-juno-g- ... t/releases link and straightforwardly can copy that on the Pico to program it. That means that there is no need to use PlatformIO to program it, unless you want to customize the firmware.
rrete

Post by rrete »

bjaan wrote: 17:10, 17 January 2023
rrete wrote: 17:52, 15 January 2023 "Note: when you skipped the previous section, you only need to copy the .uf2 file available under Releases after step 1 on the new available drive representing the Raspberry Pi Pico to flash it" What is this???
It means that you can grab the .uf2 file from the https://github.com/bjaan/roland-juno-g- ... t/releases link and straightforwardly can copy that on the Pico to program it. That means that there is no need to use PlatformIO to program it, unless you want to customize the firmware.
Ok thamks,
BustSkunk

Post by BustSkunk »

Hi Bjaan,
Thanks for your work on this. Did you see my post last week? You have an error in your github instructions. The two CS wires are crossed.
bjaan

Post by bjaan »

BustSkunk wrote: 11:27, 18 January 2023 You have an error in your github instructions. The two CS wires are crossed.
That has been corrected by now. Thanks for pointing that out, when I saw your message I did update my instructions on Github.
Only the README.md instructions document has been updated, so there was no need to change, rebuild & rerelease the firmware, however as the Pico pin configuration is set like as this below, in the platformio.ini file, it no longer matches the instructions:

-D JUNO_CS1=12
-D JUNO_CS2=13

as README.md instructions document now says:

JUNO-G Pin | JUNO-G Pin Function | Raspberry Pi Pico Pin
14 | CS1 | GP13
13 | CS2 | GP12

This is now a known issue and should warrant an update in the code, but I think this is good enough for now. Changes should have to be made to switch CS1 & CS2 in the firmware code as well.
BustSkunk

Post by BustSkunk »

You're welcome. I tried to contact you via github to let you know, but couldn't work out how. I'm a solder monkey, not a typist, so github is unfamiliar territory for me.
dennis elbow

Post by dennis elbow »

bustskunk wrote:
Question (to all):

i would be interested indeed i have waited so long for a solution,so i would like to thank you in advance i am in the south of london uk.
what is the next step. edit:are you in the uk ? because i don't really want to pay import charges from say the u.s.a.
MatiasR

Post by MatiasR »

Definitely interested in a replacement screen kit for noobs. Can you share more pictures how it would look finished?
bjaan

Post by bjaan »

BustSkunk wrote: 15:08, 18 January 2023 You're welcome. I tried to contact you via github to let you know, but couldn't work out how. I'm a solder monkey, not a typist, so github is unfamiliar territory for me.
Whenever there is a problem or a question, you can create a New Issue, under the Issues menu, on Github. That way you will contact the owner(s) of the code repository or project, and they will be able to track the question or problem.
This would be the link to my project list of Issues where can create one https://github.com/bjaan/roland-juno-g- ... ent/issues

Yeah I am wondering as well how one could place a RP2040 chip or entire Pico and LCD module on a custom board and make it all work - and fit - as a all-in-one solution :)