Syncing with Cakewalk or other DAW

Forum for JUNO-G
ommoran

Syncing with Cakewalk or other DAW

Post by ommoran »

Hi everyone,

I have a very simple project that I'm trying to complete. I can't use Cubase for it as I have AI, and the Midi Master/Slave items are only in the purchased version of Artist (!), so I'm interested in trying this in Cakewalk.

I have a lot of sequences on my Juno-G from before I started using a DAW, and before the Juno ended up in a closet for a while, etc. Since I can't convert the SWF (or whatever) files into Midi files easily, I was hoping to simply sync the Juno-G to a DAW, have the DAW act as master, press record, and get them off the Juno-G.

From what I have read, on the Juno side, tracks 1-16 in the song do correspond to Midi 1-16, so that should be simple - and should enable me to do the transfer in a single pass. I have the Juno set to slave and MMC (machine control, so the right thing) output set to "on". For good measure I also have MTC set to sync output. The rest at default settings.

In Cakewalk, it is set to transmit MMC, and transmit start/continue/stop/clock. The Sync Output and MTC output ports are both set to the Juno G.

Can anyone give me a bit of a nudge in the right direction? I honestly thought this would be complex from the JG side and easier from the CW side, but both of them are convoluted. The same menu / option / preferences designer seemed to work at both Roland and Cakewalk. :)

Thanks for any help, and hello to all the wonderful Juno folks out there in the world! I hope you're still playing your fantastic instrument (I did get tempted by the Di which looks a worth successor to our G... but $1000 can buy a ton of software synths!).

Have a great week.
Leo Castro

Re: Syncing with Cakewalk or other DAW

Post by Leo Castro »

Standard MIDI File (.MID)
Standard MIDI File
is a standard file format that allows sequencer
data to be exchanged between most musical applications.

JUNO-G files can be saved as Standard MIDI Files. This also allows you to
play back commercially available music data (GM scores) that is
compatible with the GM/GM2 system.

Open your Sequences and save them as SMF, then you can open it fron Cubase.