Are second hand Juno Gs now a lost cause?

Forum for JUNO-G
andym72

Are second hand Juno Gs now a lost cause?

Post by andym72 »

I’d love a working Juno G.

Its lightweight build, which made gigging musicians worry, is no bother if you are just using it at home in a recording rig. It’s probably an advantage!

Sounds as good if not better than a Fantom S. It’s a Fantom in all but name.

And basically has the audio multitracking functions of the FANXUP1 upgrade.

But the fatal flaw of the display, which will happen (it’s not if, but when), that also has no permanent solution, makes me worry that buying a Juno G could see my money go to waste without warning. The spare parts (even the V2 display part) seem to be near impossible to find and are only putting off the inevitable, they aren’t a permanent fix.

How do you guys that still have usable working Juno Gs feel about it getting more and more likely to fail on you with little or no way to fix it?

Thanks, Andy.
Leo Castro

Re: Are second hand Juno Gs now a lost cause?

Post by Leo Castro »

I don't know anybody who complaints about the new display and 2.01 firmware. I'm very happy with my Juno G 12years old now.
andym72

Post by andym72 »

How easy is it to find the newest single cable version of the LCD part for sale?

And I’ve read peoples websites who’ve bought that LCD and had it fail in a lot less than 12 years.

Like…

https://jimatwood.wordpress.com/2013/12 ... placement/
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

It's out of stock now on every place i know.
That Jim Atwood replace the display with the same old version. If you find a 2.01 firmware installed on a Juno G, then you know that's a new display, simply as that. Because the new firmware 2.01 only works with the new display. Beware to install the 2.01 firmware on a old display Juno G....this will make worse you problem!!!
andym72

Post by andym72 »

So the situation is, only buy a Juno G that is already running firmware 2.01.

Any earlier version, and the keyboard *may* have the original version of the display (although why someone would install the fixed version of the display and then not install firmware 2.01 I don’t know).

If you have or buy a Juno G with the original display part, you now have no pathway to get your keyboard to acceptable reliability as the redesigned display part is sold out.

I’ve got to say, I only find Juno Gs with failed displays on eBay. Usually being offered for the price of a round of drinks.

If I could find a source of the redesigned displays, I’d have no issues fitting it (i did a degree that included Electronic Engineering modules so I’ve fixes a few gadgets over the years), and could resurrect one of those “beer money” Juno Gs.
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

That's the situation. Great cheap synth, awful dsplay.
Danswift

Post by Danswift »

Have just aquired one of these synths for free ..and yep ,the display only partially works in the top right hand corner .

It's still super usable,been pretty impressed with some of the voices although I've only spent a day getting to grips with the machine , testing is going pretty good so far..:)
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

Danswift wrote: 18:13, 10 September 2021 Have just aquired one of these synths for free ..and yep ,the display only partially works in the top right hand corner .

It's still super usable,been pretty impressed with some of the voices although I've only spent a day getting to grips with the machine , testing is going pretty good so far..:)
Nice! Enjoy your new synth. :)
CalicoSkies

Post by CalicoSkies »

I have a Juno-G and the screen recently stopped displaying anything except a horizontal line toward the bottom. The screen itself always seemed fine and never had an issue displaying an image, so I'm wondering if there may be just a connection problem with mine. I seem to remember installing the 2.01 firmware at some point (or maybe mine came with the 2.01 firmware), so maybe mine already had V2 display?

I can't seem to find a replacement LCD display for the Juno-G anywhere.. So if I can't get my Juno-G fixed, I'm wondering if I'll need to buy a new synth? I'd miss my Juno-G.. I have an SRX-07 sound module in it too. :( I imagine there are other Rolands with some of the same or similar sounds, but I've gotten used to the Juno-G.
Leo Castro

Post by Leo Castro »

2.01 firmware only works with the new display. Simple.
No Roland Juno G left the factory with a new screen installed. You should know if it was you who installed version 2.01 of the firmware. If your Juno G has the old screen, installing the new firmware would stop the screen working. For that reason, they only give the firmware to whoever buys the new screen and has the basic skills to not make the problem worse.
Talk to a tech guy.
eduposada

Post by eduposada »

andym72 wrote: 22:36, 30 August 2021 I’d love a working Juno G.

Its lightweight build, which made gigging musicians worry, is no bother if you are just using it at home in a recording rig. It’s probably an advantage!

Sounds as good if not better than a Fantom S. It’s a Fantom in all but name.

And basically has the audio multitracking functions of the FANXUP1 upgrade.

But the fatal flaw of the display, which will happen (it’s not if, but when), that also has no permanent solution, makes me worry that buying a Juno G could see my money go to waste without warning. The spare parts (even the V2 display part) seem to be near impossible to find and are only putting off the inevitable, they aren’t a permanent fix.

How do you guys that still have usable working Juno Gs feel about it getting more and more likely to fail on you with little or no way to fix it?

Thanks, Andy.
I have been working with it with a midi cable attached to a computer and running the Roland provided editor (which suchs, by the way...).
And operating blindly also...