How are moderators elected?

Questions related to Roland Clan site and forum
Ricky P

How are moderators elected?

Post by Ricky P »

Just wondering, who decides who becomes a moderator and what do you need to do to get into this elite club. What can a moderator do that a normal member cant??
Still Learning

Re: How are moderators elected?

Post by Still Learning »

"What can a moderator do that a normal member cant??"

well, for one thing, the moderators here can spell the word can't. ;)

---------------------------
When most people go to work they work. When musicians go to work they play. Which do you prefer?
Ricky P

Post by Ricky P »

ok so I spell a word wrong and you have to be rude!!! I thought personal attacks where not allowed. I am dyslexic and find your cooment hurtful
Still Learning

Post by Still Learning »

Ricky P, the ;) symbol is known all over the Internet as a joke

I WAS JUST KIDDING AROUND WITH YOU

I've been posting here for years, made many on-line friends, sorry you missed the ;) symbol. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

---------------------------
When most people go to work they work. When musicians go to work they play. Which do you prefer?
Ricky P

Post by Ricky P »

Apology accepted. New to this forum stuff and to smileys. Would you be able to tell me a bit about moderators and who elects them??
bassman

Post by bassman »

Ricky P,

Still Learning definitely meant no harm. He is a long standing and well respected member here. As time goes, you'll find this place to be quite accomodating and friendly.

Moderators can edit and delete any posts. They also are responsible for intervening when needed in order to keep things running smoothly, moderate disagreements between members, set policy, and also assist Artemio (the creator of Fantomized) in some of the decisions concerning format and content of the Forum.

Artemio selects moderator candidates and contacts the individuals via e-mail to discuss. The Fantomized Team ( Art, Moderators, and some others) then collectively discuss the selection.

Bassman
Ricky P

Post by Ricky P »

so, sort of like a dictatorship???
bassman

Post by bassman »

You're kidding, right??

It's not at all like a dictatorship. As I mentioned in my post, there is discussion within the Team.

Bassman
Ricky P

Post by Ricky P »

so whos decision is it to freeze or delete threads
bassman

Post by bassman »

Any one of the Mods can perform those functions using their own discretion. This is usually done if the posts within the thread violate Forum policy.

Bassman
Ricky P

Post by Ricky P »

I am really not trying to put this forum down as it has proved very useful. I have, however, spent several days looking at hundreds of threads. This is what I have found. Many people come up with very good ideas but if the moderators dont like them thats the end of it. Also several non derogatory threads seem to have been moved or deleted and this has been complained about in the past. Why cant there be a democratic voting system to elect moderators. Isnt this how its done in most civilised countries
bassman

Post by bassman »

Ricky P,

I appreciate your interest in the Forum. However, I'm not sure of your familiarity with forums in general, or the work that goes into maintaining such an operation.

I know of no forum of this size/caliber that elects moderators. In fact, I don't personally know of any at all. The reasons for this are many, so I'll point out a few.

It would be an absolute nightmare to monitor and tally votes to insure fairness. The process itself would spawn more trouble and disagreement than it ever was worth.

But that aside, forums such as Fantomized are started and maintained for the most part by the sweat and effort of individuals, in this case Artemio. I think you would be quite surprised at the time and resource it takes. Therefore, it is not too much of a stretch to consider a forum as the house/domain of its creator. Members and others are guests in this house.

You mentioned that some folks have good ideas that are 'snuffed', and that threads have been deleted or moved. Yes, I and some of the other Mods have froze threads, moved them to the proper section when needed, and deleted threads that we felt were not within policy or were detrimental to the overall good of the forum. These are decisions that have to be made in this type of context and community. With thousands of members, I would hope that some have disagreed with those decisions, otherwise I'd be concerned! I think it is only fair to mention the significant number of ideas that have been suggested and incorporated. In additon, some ideas cannot be implemented due to very practical issues, such as code rewrites, ongoing maintenance, and the like.

Fantomized has been a fast growing and successful forum. There have been growing pains, and adjustments made. Artemio and the moderator team are quite aware that everyone will not be pleased. But it is obvious to me that there are far more folks finding this place to be a useful resource, and more importantly, one of the most friendly and fair forums you will visit.

This forum is a free resource offered freely to all. It isn't a 'democracy' in the sense that you speak, and it shouldn't be. It simply would not be the most efficient or useful way to manage and maintain it. The nature of the beast 'dictates' certain actions and terms, and it is this way with any forum that you will find. Policies should and have to be implemented and enforced, otherwise it's a free for all. The moderators have the responsibilty to see that doesn't occur. This is useful to everyone. It's an individual choice for everyone to participate or not.

I personally feel that Artemio, the moderators, and the members here have worked quite well together within the context that is necessary to sustain continued growth and pertinence to the matter at hand; which is sharing information and learning about our instruments.

I'm not deflecting any criticism of Fantomized. I just think that you may want to become more personally familiar with the place and then form your own opinion, whatever it may be.

Bassman
Ricky P

Post by Ricky P »

Thankyou very much for your full and honest answer, it explains alot. I was about to give up on my fantom X8 completely until I came across this forum and it has really helped me. I honestly did not understand how forums worked but your answer has helped explain. Once again thanks for taking the time to explain
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Ricky P:

Welcome here and let me add a few words to Bassman's already-excellent explanation.

1. Why moderators are not elected?

Think of me as a president and mods are ministers. In most countries president selects ministers himself. These are people he trusts completely, and he is comfortable to work with them. Same here, and it is not even democracy, it's pretty much communism my friend! Why? Because everything is free - posts, downloads, services, without any limitations to anyone. And yes, no ads. Go find that anywhere else.

2. Why some posts get deleted?

This happens extremely rarely, maybe like once or two a year. As you talk about democracy - what happens when some member breaks the forum laws? We don't ask for too much. Just be polite and respect others. Those posts that do not follow these simple guidelines, get a warning and finally may be locked or even deleted if this is appropriate.

3. Why some ideas are not implemented?

Give me some food and 48 hours in a day and they will! ;-)
bassman

Post by bassman »

Ricky P,

You're welcome.

And actually, Artemio is being conservative on needing 48 hours in his day. The guy is pursuing a PhD, maintaining Fantomized, and has other sites as well. Oh, I won't mention the fact that he has a family, also!

A quick addendum and then I'm done. . . . .all of the moderators do their 'jobs' with no compensation. We all have our jobs, daily responsibilities, families, and such. As mentioned, there are no advertisements or corporate financial support.

I'm not trying to give out any props, just saying that we are just like other folks here: trying to get the beast (Fantom, V-Synth, Groove Box, etc.) tamed so that we can get on with making the music!

Bassman