Individual forum RSS feeds

Questions related to Roland Clan site and forum
BillArnette

Individual forum RSS feeds

Post by BillArnette »

Is there any way to get a RSS feed of individual forums rather than for the entire site? Barring that, is there any way to filter out posts from main RSS feed?

There are really only a few forums that I want to follow and its difficult picking out those few posts from the rest of the feed.
BillArnette

Found a solution

Post by BillArnette »

As is usually the case, I found the answer right after posting...

Add Powerful News Feed Filters to Google Reader discusses a GreaseMonkey script and mentions FeedRinse as another solution.

I went with FeedRinse.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Individual forum RSS feeds

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, this is something I'd like to have too (heck, and am the developer here ;-)). I will think about the best way - I thought of a set of checkboxes in your profile to exclude forums you're not interested in, how does this sound?
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

That sounds good, Artemiy.
How easy would it be to have a "Mark all in this forum as read" option like with the Unread Posts?

Regards
Andy
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Andy, I'll look into this too! It won't be hard.
rbarkhouse

Post by rbarkhouse »

+1 for both these suggestions!
howardS

Post by howardS »

Great suggestion, Andy. I was just thinking about this last night when I was online. Sometimes I open threads just to mark them as read but your suggestion would be a better solution.

Artemiy, perhaps we can expand on Andy's suggestion a little. Perhaps you have have the option of selecting individual threads or all of them and then marking them as read.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

howardS, I really see no point in marking individual topics as read. If you have 200 unread topics, how much time will it take to do this? Marking a whole forum is quick and surely will be used a lot.
howardS

Post by howardS »

I have at times wanted to leave a thread as unread so I could go back and review it or comment on it if I don't have the time to provide the answer at the time or don't have my manual or other reference materials handy.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

That is what bookmarks are for ;-)
BillArnette

Post by BillArnette »

I was thinking that the "Live Bookmarks" for each forum would just be a different RSS feed URL. For example, I am viewing the Community Talk forum right now in Firefox, so if I clicked on the Live Bookmark icon in the address bar, it would give me a RSS feed URL that was just for the Community Talk forum.

If I were on the Roland Clan Forums page, the feed would be for content in all the forums.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Bill, I thought about this too. But instead, I think what will please everyone is one feed that you can customize. There is NO person that is interested in all forums (unless he owns all possible Roland gear and speaks 10 languages ;-)), and having one feed for each is a bit of a clutter in your bookmarks.
BillArnette

Post by BillArnette »

Sure, I can see that as a better solution. It would probably require more work though, because you'll have to add UI to the profile page and filtering logic for the creation of the feed.

I would think the one-feed-per-forum approach would be a quick-n-dirty way to get there.

But either way, I think it would be a great addition to the site.

I just wanted to see posts relating to my Juno-G without having to weed through all the Fantom-G stuff. :)

BTW, I noticed that even though I have a signature in my profile, it is not automatically added to my posts.

Cheers,
Bill