Activating forum signatures

Questions related to Roland Clan site and forum
comradec

Activating forum signatures

Post by comradec »

There's a box for creating a signature in the profile control panel of this forum. That signature does not, however, seem to appear alongside my forum postings in the way I've seen in many other online user communities.

The signature facility is quite useful in that it allow you to provide details of your music gear each time you post, which may be helpful when people are responding to technical queries and suchlike.

There appears to be no way of activating this feature, though.

But maybe I've missed something. Is it possible to configure my signature to appear at the bottom of all my postings?
cyclops

Re: Activating forum signatures

Post by cyclops »

Same question here, too. So, what's the deal with member signatures? Can we activate them or not? And if yes, how can it be done?
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

We have removed forum signatures, because all they do is clutter up the forum. I consider this a very bad forum design tradition. Signatures are also extremely harmful for people with poor or no eyesight, when they are forced to look into or listen to same (almost) useless information over and over again.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Oh, ok then. Just wanted to check this out, in case something was wrong about my profile or my browser. :-)

Btw, I must confess I prefer the Clan like this, without all the bells and whistles found in other fora. It makes the pages load a lot quicker and much more easily, especially when I use my cellphone's browser to access the site (like now). :-)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Glad you like it, thanks for letting me know! Well, this simplicity and accessibility is part of the forum's success. It is indeed also very lightweight in terms of the page code, 2-3 times less than the popular phpBB. Even on a mobile phone it will load very quickly. We *will* have a bit of a facelift this year (I hope), but it will still be as light.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

...plus it's more cost-effective if you can't access any WiFi spots and there maybe times you're stuck with GPRS. Less kbs to load (unless you open any thread with Roland secret Agent's post, that is). ;-)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Actually, I coded this forum to attempt to detect a mobile web browser and switch all images off. Just noticed it doesn't work with all phones - worked with Nokia 6120 but doesn't with 6233. Gotta revise that code.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Actually, when I browse the site with my phone's S60 integrated browser (I use a Nokia N82 which runs SymbianOS) the pages are more on the "spartan" side and the browser loads far less data, which is very good. When I want to be able to see everything, I use Opera Mini, which is java-based and is compatible with almost everything the site contains.

p.s. Maybe the difference you noticed on the two phones you tried lies on the fact that the 6120 is a SymbianOS device too. The 6233 sports a quite different browser version, it's an S40 device.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

BTW, I think I am done with Nokia. Their phone selection is way too wide and they simply can't focus on each particular model. Too many different feature sets, too many different designs and keypad types, quality on each new body is hit or miss, and they release new phones instead of giving some support to the current models. Why not focus on just a few model ranges which you'd refine year after year? Why do they reinvent and revamp the phones so you have to get used to a new interface, navigation, keypad with every upgrade? I used to like their phones quite a bit more than all others, but now I have absolutely no desire to buy any more of their phones.

Instead, I am gonna go for the iPhone, which is light years ahead from others, pretty much like all Apple's creations.