Legally Using Roland Sound Modules in My Music

Questions related to Roland Clan site and forum
MusicalVisions

Legally Using Roland Sound Modules in My Music

Post by MusicalVisions »

Hello everyone,

Will someone point me to a place where I can find legal information regarding using the waves on Roland sound modules? I searched on Roland's web site and didn't find anything.

I read a few years ago about Roland retaining the rights to the sound waves and there was a website that was taken down that allowed download of V-Drum Samples in the form of sound loops made by a drummer. I do not intend to do this but want to cover my bases. Do I need to get permission from Roland to use the samples in the music I make if I am going to try and sell it?

Bryan
shaun_

Re: Legally Using Roland Sound Modules in My Music

Post by shaun_ »

this is a good point, a quick look at the manual intro does mention copyright in brief detail, however in previous roland groove manuals where patterns are included however, the point is made more clear and I got the impression that Everything was copyrighted??? Roland gear must have been used in countless recordings, so a little more clarification would be useful. I think its quite plain however that the unit is not meant to be sampled for commercial libraries, but then again, there must be pro companies selling roland vintage drum kit sample libraries?? so yeah a bit of a mess, what with all all this legislation nonsense....
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

What you CAN do:
- Make and sell music with any of the waveforms, patches or patterns
- Make and sell sound libraries with your own patches or patterns that are made from scratch or from modified preset patches/patterns

What you CAN NOT do:
- Sell the waveforms, patches or patterns as library items as they are
MusicalVisions

Post by MusicalVisions »

So if I run the sound module with a sequencer(OCTAMed) with no intentions of sharing the individual waves and record that there should be no issues? I sure would like to see somewhere that Roland says that.

There are places in my music where only one sound is being played and sustained out. What I read about the V-Drums site was Roland had a problem with the possibility of someone being able to easily obtain some of the samples since there were instances in the loops where only one drum sound was being produced.
MusicalVisions

Post by MusicalVisions »

Any more input on my last post?

Harmony...