Are we getting bogged down in the technology?

Questions related to Roland Clan site and forum
Blues4dog

Are we getting bogged down in the technology?

Post by Blues4dog »

When I first began playing music it was with an acoustic brass instrument. After that came rock bands, electric guitars, drums, organ/piano and vocal with simple amplifiers and basic FX. We made good music and had fun doing it. It was simple.

Analog synths came along and opened up a whole new sonic spectrum. Then came the digital age with computerized sequencing / recording and boatloads of devices to create, warp or correct the sounds.

I got very interested in all of this but lately have started moving myself back towards just plugging in and playing whatever sounds good at the time and not bothering so much about tweaking every little parameter or concerning myself so much with this or that compression setting, sample or effect etc. Most of the people I know (musicians) can't tell the difference or don't care anyway. They just want to listen to a song.

I feel as if I am finally getting that old buzz back from just making and enjoying the music.

While I fully understand the need for professionals at the top level of the music industry to constantly push the boundaries and improve their craft and the tools they use I can't help but think that the majority of people messing around with music in local bands or home studios (myself as a prime example) are maybe taking the whole thing way too seriously. Let's face it, whilst my music is my passion it will never be more than a hobby like playing a sport on the weekend. It is unlikely to be heard further afield than MySpace or a local venue.

For those who aspire to a career in the industry as artists, producers, engineers or designers it is obviously a different ball game but I am guessing that these people are not the majority of us.

It just never used to seem so frustrating making music.

Are we using the tools as we need them or are they ruling us?

Am I wrong?

B4D
dbijoux

Re: Are we getting bogged down in the technology?

Post by dbijoux »

The short answer: Yes.

However, there is always folk music and here, in my town, there is still a bluegrass jam session every Sunday. Considering these and the vibrance of their communities, I don't think we, as a whole, are getting bogged down at all.

Now, that said, it's also rather obvious we are heading down a slippery slope of technology driven music. Take for example, pop and hip/hop's growing embrace of that electronic music sound. Also, consider the rise in popularity of melodic metal where synths take an almost pivotal role; from a creation standpoint, technology is as important as ever. Of course, this is without mention to sampling, grooves, even generative music or the fact recording is 99.9% digital today.

Not only that, for anyone considering a commercial release, or even sharing with friends, it's nearly guaranteed a computer and .mp3 is involved somewhere. Obviously, iTunes and Amazon are currently leading the way, but even Beatport and DJDownload, are breaking out in the dance/club market well known for vinyl and scandalous corner shops.

I digress, there isn't much use in talking about how technology is the end of it all. The glory days of strumming a guitar or jamming with your friends or growing up singing with the family around the piano; I think they are actually still here. It's also rather difficult to make a definitive argument of where it might have began, as one could say the history goes as far back as the first computer. Even before that there were amazing pioneers in electronic music, the French's musique concrète and the BBC's Radiophonic workshop are noteable examples. Inevitably, there is a quote I always think of when this discussion comes up.

"The high tech genie can never be put back in the bottle."
- Paul Hoffman

So, what is the answer? It may be more to the point, what is the question. Again, take folk music. Traditionally this was an important way to tell a story. In what certainly seems like ancient times now, musicians used to travel, entertaining, spreading their music, words, and sharing their roots. In a way, that music was, and argueably still is, an ambassador of sorts.

What happened to folk music? It seems to me, people stopped having anything quite interesting to say. I'm sure this can't be the case, mind you, as I hear the craziest and sometimes even insightful stories simply walking in a local grocery store.

So, when did that change? When did the stories get boring? I don't think it's a question we can answer by ourselves. As a whole, no doubt society is quickly taking a ride on the fast-track. Yet even so, there are still trends - even the change changes, and might even change back again.

Is the end of fun and enjoyable music approaching? It seems that's something you can only ask yourself. For me, it's never been a concern. When I became frustrated with Jazz, I learned to play some Chet Atkins with my thumb, when the guitar wasn't enough, I bought a synth, when that didn't work out, I grabbed my guitar again and so the process has always been.

I suspect we are all a little crazy in this regard. I mean, really, wasn't it more fun just listening to a good tune? Truth be told, if it were only that easy, no music would ever be made.

Before I get too far off, are the machines plotting to rule? Maybe! It's something to consider and certainly Terminator:Salvation will be one to check out this year(question aside, for the use of omnisphere alone).

I don't think you're wrong for asking, in fact, I'd say right on! We need to ask these questions. Let's continue to keep this fun and enjoyable. Of course, the mileage is going to vary, but all in all, I see no end in the rhythm and spirit(read:passion) that keeps it alive.
Blues4dog

Post by Blues4dog »

Thank you for those insights. I do feel as though I have come a full circle as you have coming back to your guitar. Your mention of singing around the piano has jogged my memory as a group of us did this quite recently. It was the most fun I've had musically for a long time. On reflection I think that may have been my turning point.

B4D
Shambler

Post by Shambler »

Yes.

But also no, sometimes you can just choose a few of your favourite patches and jam.
Sprockett

Post by Sprockett »

You're story sounds suprisingly familiar Blues4dog. I started with an old trumpet when I was a kid, and I took lessons on an acoustic guitar. Then I found MIDI and year after year I collected more clutter until I am writing this message on a PC connected to 16 channels of audio interface, an 8x8 MIDI interface, and two racks full of synthesizers and outboard FX. I'm surrounded by keyboards and wires and I'm really never sure if it's any better than the old days.

Just last week I played out with a new project I joined 3 months ago that consists of 2 acoustic guitars, acoustic bass, a percussionist, and everyone does vocals. It was my first live gig with this project and it was like a huge weight off my shoulders. It was so freeing to not have to worry about all the backline gear and just concentrate on the performance. Going from my normal two amp system with multiple effects and changing guitars for certain songs to one guitar and not having to keep my fingers crossed that some cable deep in the system was going to fail in the middle of the set...let's just say I could leave the big bottle of Tylenol at home that night.

I think that all the technology has a place and, let's face it, it can be fun. But no amount of technology can replace good songwriting. It's like a movie full of special effects but no plot, flashy but without substance. And although non-musician listeners maybe can't tell what's wrong, they sure can tell something's not right.

Sometimes I find it really hard to maintain that balance between art and tech, but playing with this new group of musicians has really opened my eyes again.

Great topic, BTW!
da-man

Post by da-man »

I think it depends on your personality. For me I do at times.

I have one of those personalities that tries to work everything out before and after I use it. The pros of this personality are that I get things right 95% of the time. The cons are the amount of time I waste getting it right.

So the capabilities technology offers is amazing but it is up to us how we use it. For some people a few presets and they are happy.

For others, we can spend endless hours researching and experimenting for the ultimate sound, mix and recording that is forever elusive.

I've had 3 hard drives fail in the last 3 years and at the moment my computer workstation is down with a failed hard drive.

So........ to be continued in 10 years time
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

That sux mate, what drives are you using? So we know better.

I have to add something I came across yesterday, as it helps put things into perspective.

Just over 100 years ago, outside of New York, two brothers and a handful of investors were building a 200 ton - five keypad - rotating cylinder driven - polyphonic sound machine the size of a factory floor that required two people to play three parts each and delivered, electrically, by wire, music to locations miles away, where audiences would not only listen, but could interactively effect the performance via telephone or special built controllers changing the signal.

It was called the Telharmonium and cost around $200,000. That's about 2.5 million USD today.