Here it is, the all-new Roland Clan

Questions related to Roland Clan site and forum
dbijoux

Re: Here it is, the all-new Roland Clan

Post by dbijoux »

I've seen that before, I just can't place where. >.<

It's like you turned off font edge smoothing in XP performance settings, but that isn't the case - guessing other web pages look fine. Reminds me, I need to upgrade FF on this box.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

dbijoux:
It's like you turned off font edge smoothing in XP performance settings, but that isn't the case - guessing other web pages look fine.
No, there's no difference whether I change that setting or not.
Concerning the other thing you mention, it's just like you say, other web pages are shown just fine.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

UPDATE:

I've just come from a format on my Windows XP machine, and everything is showing perfectly when I browse into the Clan.
So, maybe there was something wrong in my previous WinXP installation, maybe some software messed my fonts, or something like this.

I can finally browse the Clan easily with my old computer, so everything is fine now. :-D
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Good to know this, cyclops!
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Hi Artemiy,
Maybe for a future development ;-)
May I suggest an inclusion of a new column **"Forum"** on both the **Unread posts** and **Latest posts** areas.
That way we would always keep track of what is the forum that the post refers to. See example bellow.

Cheers
Paulo

P.S: sorry for my lack of skills on editing image files... but that is only to give an example ;-)
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

I have bookmarked the main forum for my board. I'd rather see a column for # of views, maybe to help judge what is most useful or interesting. I could see that a forum list could be useful, but it might be a lot of repetitive text as most activity is for the Fantom.

One thing I like about RC is the focus on utility.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Paulo:

Yes, the "forum" column is in the plans.

dbijoux:

Thanks, I have always been taking usability and elegancy very seriously. As about the # of views, well I thought this is not a very useful thing right from the start, i.e. if the topic has no replies you do know it is not interesting to the readers, if it has many of them you know it's very popular. So the amount of replies is a direct indication of how popular the topic is.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

NP, I think I said before but it shows in the more focused discussion here.

That's true on the replies, I guess views would rather be insightful to the number of lurkers - like two pieces of puzzle. I figured you've given most possibilities some thought tho, RC has been around a while, no?

Sites I compare to are DOA, trance.nu, etc.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Roland Clan exists since March 2003, that is 6.5 years for today.

Implementing views count is not a problem at all, really. One line of code to add. But, for some reason, I am not sure they're that much needed. If you have no replies in a topic, it is obvious that either the question is wrongly phrased or no one can't answer - and this is true regardless of the amount of views.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Ahh, you are just being modest ;) 6.5yrs tho, that is definitely a lot of views.

I think it is maybe more of a popularity 'contest'. I wonder what other opinions are on this. Maybe I just see 'views', think everyone else is doing it, and scratch my head. It could be useful for the music pages, videos, etc... Of course, you know the site best and it's much more Q&A here.