Our signatures - disabled I assume?

Questions related to Roland Clan site and forum
SkylineUK

Our signatures - disabled I assume?

Post by SkylineUK »

We can add signatures to our profiles but they don't appear. I seem to recall a while back that these were switched off for some reason. What was the reason again?

John

My band
My songs

(I just added those to this message...)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: Our signatures - disabled I assume?

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, they are switched off - I am just too lazy to remove this option from the profile. The reason is plain simple - I think that attaching the same information to each post you make is unnecessary. Some signatures are rather big and when you have 2-3 of people with signatures discussing something, almost half of the information your eyes see is something you have seen 1000 times already. As I fight for maximum ergonomics and visual comfort, I think signatures are just waste.
SkylineUK

Post by SkylineUK »

Thanks, Artemiy, fair enough. I recall now.
Just a point 'though: when new members join it's sometimes useful to follow any links they have in their signature to see where they're at and what they're into, etc.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

In the future, we will have some info displayed on the left under the user name, including user pictures.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Post history on the profile page could be cool/useful too.

Signature information like links can be added to your profile. It seems a lot of users don't take advantage of that like the mods. Oh wait, I see you've updated yours already!
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Yes, you can click on the name and a lot of useful information is displayed, not just his uploaded picture and "about" field. I guess most people want to see a "view profile" button, but this again is a redundant design element since you just click on a name.

I am not sure how to encourage people to post info into their profiles, maybe pop up a message once in a while if the "about" field is empty? I'll be thinking on this later on when I re-design the post view structure.