Your most wanted new feature?

Questions related to Roland Clan site and forum
Artemiy
Site Admin

Your most wanted new feature?

Post by Artemiy »

Hey community, tell me please, if there is one feature that you would desperately want to have at Roland Clan, what is it?
Nord72

Re: Your most wanted new feature?

Post by Nord72 »

An online chat applet would be usefull.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

No to this one, sorry ;-) We used to have a chat but it was useless... Tech support makes no sense there as answers get wiped out. Here the answers stay and posts are all displayed in realtime.

Next, please! :-)
piaknowguy

Post by piaknowguy »

Hey Art! At the 'Cakewalk' forum, you can tell whether -or-not a member is 'on-line' by looking just under their name. (On-line / Off-line) I personally like this feature. Possible? I know that we can go to the home-page to check-out member status. This is just a little more 'convenient' and . . . you asked!! ;-)

They also tell you how many members are currently visiting each forum section. It gives one an idea as to which section is the 'hot spot' of the day!

Cheers!
PiaKnowGuy
Please listen to 'Pirates' done entirely on the Fantom X8

PiaKnow
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

<-< The bloody bluebox takes up space on my screen. ;)

As for features, I think concentrating on the community would be most beneficial. You've already talked about upgrading the profiles and providing room for avatars. I think a new feature that would compliment such things is a Private Messaging system. It seems to be used quite a bit on other popular forums and it could be valuable here too.

Other than that, I think I mentioned something about "# of views" in another post. I still think that's a useful metric, especially to people who don't visit the site as often as others and would be quite helpful in the music sections to see response.

Thanks for asking.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Piaknowguy:

Online status should not be a problem, good idea!

dbijoux:

Avatars and file uploads in the profile are definitely top priority for me.

Would sending an e-mail from the user's profile be enough, or do you think we need a full-blown PM system with messages displayed here?
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Cool, avatars should be fun.

As for PM's, I think some sort of integrated system would be the best route. Email is great for some things, but I think we've moved far away from using it for 'messaging'. All the large sites have built in messaging and relatively smaller forums have it too. At first, it sounds like it is more overwhelming, but when you look at it from the user experience, it's actually easier to manage. If users want to contact each other off-site(be it email, cell, messenger), they can do that, and it would even provide a means to share that information privately.

Obviously it's a bit more complicated from your side, but you can look at it like this - you already have 90% of the necessary framework in place.
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Technically, PM system would be a forum in which posts can only be seen by the sender and receiver, so yes, should not be that hard to do.
cyclops

Post by cyclops »

Artemiy:
Technically, PM system would be a forum in which posts can only be seen by the sender and receiver, so yes, should not be that hard to do.

Or they could be seen from the admin and/or the moderators as well, so there is no room for conspiracies by the members! Image
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

@cyclops: The conspiracy wheels always turning. Don't you know it's all in your head?

It's an interesting idea to use the forum engine itself for PM. I wonder how easily configureable/scaleable that would be.

I'll repost the Tag Cloud idea in this sentence.
dbijoux

Post by dbijoux »

Don't shoot me for another idea, but Polls/Voting. ;)

The popular ARX thread would be a great example.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Artemiy,
Some time ago, on different Posts I've given two ideas of "nice to have items",
Here they are again

1- It would be nice to have an option that allow us to "mark" a specific post, for future reference. I understand that could involve big database modifs, but would that be possible ? Or is there any simple way to do that?

2- Is this possible ? it would be very useful, as then we know exactly to what forum the post relates to, without having to actually get inside to find out.
pub/attach/196166-Forum_Column.JPG
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Now with the right image.... ;-))))

Another great feature....to be able to delete wrong uploaded files LoL
CJoy

Post by CJoy »

I second Paulo's suggestion about adding a Forum name column to the Unread Posts section - very useful!

Also, I think it would be cool to have a "Go to first new post" feature for each thread. This would be especially useful as threads get longer.

Thanks again for everything and Happy Holidays to All!

Chris
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

I third Paolo's suggestion about putting the forum name on the unread messages page.

Also, would it be possible to fix the disconnect between http://forums.rolandclan.info and http://forums.rolandclan.com? Depending on what link I come from do or don't need to log in again!

Regards
Andy