MC-909 damaged memory?

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Keith S

MC-909 damaged memory?

Post by Keith S »

I have a MC-909 and I'm unable to write or edit any new patterns. The screen says memory damaged. What does this mean?Does this mean a costly repair or is there a simple way to fix this problem without losing valuable internal memory?
lhm1138

Re: MC-909 damaged memory?

Post by lhm1138 »

Well, I'm no Roland Rep (you'd never encounter one online anywhere), but it sounds like the Flash Ram problem. You are using the internal/user memory, correct? I believe this is mentioned in the back of the manual, but if not, youll need to backup the data on your internal memory (do it twice, three times, verify that it actually backedup, because I learned the hard way once that the User Backup doesn't work as well as it's supposed to...now I just save everything to Card and only use the internal for importing samples.) After you've backed up your important data I believe you then must do a Factory Reset, reinstall the OS, then User Restore or restore from the computer you backed up to. Again, I believe "Memory Damaged" i've seen mentioned in the manual or online Roland FAQs, and there is something you can do about it. If unsure, Roland's tech support is helpful enough, though it'll cost you long distance fees.
Keith S

Post by Keith S »

Thanks for the information.I can't find any smart media cards locally,but when I find one I will use your advice.
lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 »

That's one thing I learned quick. I only use the internal flash (User) for samples I'm working on, then I save to card. EVERYTHING I save to card, because I don't trust the MC909. Well, it's like the NeoCons say, trust but VERIFY. Once you learn the particulars of what not to do, it's a great device. Join the yahoo club for the MC909, there's alot of useful info there.

Re: Cards, you will need 3.3v variety. I believe it's mentioned in the manual. I used to see the 128mbs on Ebay for good prices alot, but not so much lately, it's mostly 32/64. Check out buy.com or other online vendors for cheap smartcards. I've heard a few people have usd these XD cards with a Smartmedia adaptor sucessfully, but I can't vouch for it. If it works, that's great, as XD goes up into the gigs.
Keith S

Post by Keith S »

I just purchased a 128MB smart media from office depot. It doesn't mention on the package if it is 3.3V or not. I assume that it is 3.3V.I'm a member of the Yahoo group,but they say my account is bouncing (whatever that means) so I can't post on that forum.
lhm1138

Post by lhm1138 »

Most of the currently available cards are 3.3v as they're designed for consumer digital cameras. Odds are what you bought is 3.3v, but if you have a picture of the card you bought, look at the picture. If there is a notch to the right of the gold contacts, it is 3.3. If it's on the left, it's 5v. Hope I've helped.
Keith S

Post by Keith S »

The notch is to the right of the gold tips. I have older 5v smart media card that I use with a MC-505 and on the card it says 5v. I was told that they don't make 5v anymore. I was just worried because the card I just bought didn't indicate what voltage it uses.