My first impression of the SP-404

Forum for MC, SP, TR series and other groove and drum machines
Jost

My first impression of the SP-404

Post by Jost »

A few days ago I picked up my SP-404, the new Roland sampler to succeed the SP-303. This is my 'test report' for those who are interested in portable samplers.

The SP-404 is a nifty little thing which I believe will become very popular. It looks cute, is solid built, not exactly small but light-weight, and battery operated with a microphone attached to it which allows sampling anywhere and anything and to construct Kits or grooves on the spot. I had my share with the microphone and even managed to sample strange sounds emerging from a cow, perfectly suited for a Breakbeat construction kit I was working on.

The SP-404 feels really nice in your hand - you wanna hold it and play with it, just like a good toy. The effects section is logically arranged, six of the most used Killer effects have their own buttons while 24 other effects are available by scrolling. All effects are absolutely awesome, my favorite one is the Beat Looper and the DJFX Looper.

Sampling is simple and fast, I only had to spend one hour with the manual and off I went to construct weird, wild and wonderful samples, heavily relying on resampling to utilize the SP's awesome effects. Precision editing isn't in comparison to the Fantom sampler, but this is not a tool to get lost in detail or perfection - this is a toy intended purely for intuition and quick results. Love it.

The SP-404 has got a Pattern Sequencer which is a breeze to use. I had a pattern running in no time, but the best thing is that a pattern always finishes first before the next pattern begins - groovebox style.

The feel of the Pads is just like the Fantom, however it isn't touch sensitive - volume and velocity needs to be set for each Pad, which is a simple task.

The knobs feel as sturdy as the Fantom and response just like the Fantom. Its almost like a little 'Baby' Fantom without the keys.

10 Banks for samples and patterns are available, with 12 Pads for each Bank. This allows for a lot of stuff to be available if you use a 1 GB memory card. I filled up two banks in an afternoon and loading time was almost instant - good stuff.

I also love the fact that you can switch between Pattern Sequencer and Sample Banks without stopping the current Pattern. This means you can surf and play any samples while the beat goes on.

Overall speaking, the SP-404 has shot straight into my heart. Its a great toy to take with you and to go nuts constructing Kits or samples while attending a boring board meeting, sitting on a plane or waiting for the bus to arrive. Good stuff Roland.

My final comments: the SP-404 deserves a dedicated forum at Fantomized to explore the creative boundaries of this unique little thing.

http://www.jostsauer.com
"When one is not expressing himself, he is not free." - Bruce Lee
Artemiy
Site Admin

Re: My first impression of the SP-404

Post by Artemiy »

Jost, thanks a lot for this review! I too liked the 404 and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I've always liked making beats on a small dedicated device like my TR-626 - it's just a different feel of the thing, more old-school, "back to basics" as they say.

As about a dedicated forums - well, you read my mind. Let there be it!
Jost

Post by Jost »

I agree with you, there is something 'special' about little devices that big cannons don't have. For example, I've got my Fantom for sampling but I never used that function, however with the SP-404 I've been sampling ever since I've got it.

To me Workstations never really worked. I like "sole-functional" instruments: a box for the beats, a synth for the melodies and a machine for the recording. These days they cramp far too many functions into an instruments which seem to provide more hurdles than creative assistance.

Anyway, I am glad you gave that little beast a chance to establish itself amongst the big guns. Lets hope it attracts a few people who love to explore the creative and imaginary possibilities of 'small devices' where intuition and experimentation rules over precision and perfection.

V-CeeOh

Post by V-CeeOh »

Jost

Your review is far from beeing complete :-) What about that glamorous tempo synced blue light ?????
I'm thinking on buying one 404 to put beside my bed - second synced obviously. ;-)

Excelent review, btw

o - ...just could not afford the 8
(
\_/
hear what I've done with the 7
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Jost, that review makes me seriously consider getting the sp-404 ;) In fact, I'm trying to make up my mind of either going for the sp-404 or the sp-606.

A couple of questions: do you know if it's possible to sample something without compressing the signal? As I understand, Roland uses compression in their groove-samplers, and
I was hoping to record entire jam-sessions in the unit due to the long sampletime, but I'd like the signal to stay as good as possible.

And you mention two of the efx, the Beat Looper and the DJFX Looper. What exactly do these do? One thing that makes me want the 606 more, is the fact that it has many more effect algorithms, and some of them appear to be very cool and experimental. The two you mention, however, are not included in the 606.

I plan to use the 404 (or 606) alongside my V-Synth, as I've come to the conclusion that it will be a much cheaper alternative than getting a decent laptop with a good soundcard.
Not to mention it'll probably be a lot more fun than using a laptop. I've been watching the demo videos for the 606, and it seems awesome and alot of fun!

regards, Hugo
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

Hugo:

SP-606 is more of a workstation indeed, but as you are considering Juno-G, I'd say go for Juno-G and SP-404. Juno-G will give you 128 voices, 16 MIDI and 4 audio tracks and up to 512 MB sampling RAM plus more synthesis and effects than SP-606. On the other hand, SP-404 will be your little devil box with that oldschool beat-making feel.

As bout these new effects:

BPM looper lets you loop one short portion of a sample, the knobs lets you choose the size of this portion and cross-fade between the looped and original which keeps on playing. Too see and hear, check out the NAMM2005 summer demo at SonicState - awesome stuff. DJFX looper lets you reverse and scratch the sample in realtime, very cool too.

Also check out the interactive demo, it has most if not all the effects demoed: http://www.roland.com/demos/en/SP-404_IT/index.html.

Dammit guys, I want the 404 bad!!!
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Artemio,

You're probably right about that.
I just saw the demo for the 404, and the bpm looper looks totally wicked! Amazing experimental effect...

And in light of my current financial status, it will be wiser to go for the 404. I would however be very interested in learning more about the efx in the 606, I guess I'll go to the local shop and have a listen.

The gear lust seems to never stop ;)

regards, Hugo
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

> The gear lust seems to never stop ;)

You're telling me!!!

;-)
Jost

Post by Jost »

Hugo, I don't think the audio is compressed, but the Professor should know all about this, what do you think Artemio?

You probably can record an entire jam session on it if you use the 1Gb card. I have sampled some fairly long sequences without any problems.

I use the 404 mainly on my travels such as on planes and I use my X-Station25 to record complex realtime tweaked sequences into it. I'd rather work with the 404 than with my Laptop - to me the 404 has got a much better vibe for musical creativity than a computer (maybe because I use my laptop intensively for my 'real' job and therefore don't want to use it for music).

I've never played with a 606, nor have I seen one in real life, but to me it looks a heck more complicated than the 404, is this right? To me the major attraction of the 404 is its fairly small size (not directly pocket size), its battery operation and its pure simplicity.

Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

According to the specs, it uses "SP-404 original format" with WAVE/AIFF import/export functionality. This means the data indeed is compressed (possible R-DAC that is used in Fantoms' ROM and SRX boards), but as to me I never heard any artifacts of this compression especially considering that you'll mangle/effect the stuff, and it also means you will able to store more data on a card.

As about 404 vs. 606 - the latter is more of a workstation and 404 is more a pocket creative tool, and this is why it's so attractive.
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Yes, Roland's R-DAC is top notch, my friend tells me. According to one of the video demos I saw, it is possible to store 3 hours of sampling at the highest quality with a 1gb card (!) (could this be correct?)

Hmm, it's a tough choice, as I'm planning to use the sampler teamed up with my V-Synth. As there is no midi sequencing on the sp-404, I'd have to use my rm1x in addition, and I would like to avoid that (the sp-606 has midi sequencing and editing)
Also, the sp-606 has s/pdif, usb (with audio-stream), graphic display, two mfx instead of one, and not to mention the d-beam which can trigger samples (not possible in the V-Synth).

Having said that, the sp-404 is half the price of the bigger brother, and money is an issue. Plus it features the insane 'bpm looper' effect which seems totally wicked. It also actually has a higher polyphony count (12 voices as opposed to 8 in the 606).

regards, Hugo
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

R-DAC has 2:1 compression ratio, this means 650 MB typically needed for 1 hour becomes 325 megs - so indeed a gig can hold three hours - coolness!

As about I'd sell RM1x and go for SP-404 + Juno-G ;-) Now that would be a killer self-contained studio, with power sequencing, audio tracks and MFX resampling on the new Juno. No no I am not a Roland purist. I am a fanatic ;-) LOL
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Awesome... Three hours! And 2:1 compression shouldn't be noticable at all, just think of the extreme compression that takes place when converting something to mp3.

Regarding the r1mx, I have a love-hate relationship to it. Most of the time I hate it though ;)
I would like to get the Juno-G, but I wont be able to afford before this fall (at best), so I'll need something in the meantime, and the sp-404 seems like the most realistic alternative at this time.

Do any of you guys know if there is a program that can convert the native 404 format to wav/aiff? So I wont have to do it on the unit itself.. Not a big problem, but it would be time-saving when importing the files to the computer.

regards, Hugo
jrevenko

Post by jrevenko »

First, thanks Artemio for putting this section, if not woudnt have even known this little fun device existed.

Looked at the videos, downloaded the manual, looks quite impressive, now the question is: Do you guys recommend it for trance type music?.
And also i see it doesnt have midi connectivity (midi out), to interact with my XR and Motif ES rack's (sync arpegios). Is their someway around solution for that?.
My background is more: assigning sounds to pre made midi files (and some minor modifications), but the 404 looks real fun to experiment with.

edit: Last but not least read that does compression.How is the quality of the sounds? (for basically live use)
Artemiy
Site Admin

Post by Artemiy »

I haven't ever seen a Roland device which is targeted at a particular style - you can do orchestral stuff on MC-808, why not trance on the SP-404? ;-) I do not see anything that would prevent you from importing some cool loops and samples, creating some background beats that you'll mangle in realtime. Some high-pitched goa stuff is definitely possible with radio simulator and isolator.

As about MIDI - SP-404 has an input, and I think it can sync to it - but check the manual to be sure.